Project Smokey a build that spun out of control - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Smokey a build that spun out of control

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #76
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So this is where Im at with this.. I bought the poly performance front 3 link kit. It came with pre-made track bar mounts for both the axle side and the frame side. I started trying to get things worked out and i'm having issues with the passenger side spring interfering with the track bar. If i use the mount that came with my kit, and maintain proper steering geometry, the setup looks like this:

Wheels straight:

Full left turn:

Obviously there is plenty of room between the drag link/steering arm and the drag link/drag link bracket, so theoretically a bracket could be fabricated to push the draglink out, like this:

Wheels straight (the bolt and piece of steel are just there to simulate the bracket):

Full left turn:

Shown with a spring in the stock location. The spring is already pushing against the drag link and is not at all compressed. I think that as it compresses, it will bow out even more:

This isn't going to work so I think I'm looking at Coilovers or ORI struts only because of convenient packaging. I'm leaning toward the coilovers at this point because they are more "tried and true". i have looked at a lot of builds that use this style of dana 60 and coils springs but they all have the trackbar mounted inboard of the passenger spring which, from what i can tell, means it is too short.

I'm going to use the bracket I have and see if I can fit the coilover/strut and if i can't, I'll make a new bracket. I think it should be OK, as long as I angle the shock back just a little.

jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #77
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

dude you need to hang a barf bag off the shifter cuz that thing is going to be SICK...I mean is sick...lol...really looking forwards to seeing the finished result

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #78
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. My goal is to not turn what was a half decent jeep into a ****box.

I ordered coilovers today. I need to start pulling the front fenders so I can cut off the old brackets and install new.

I ordered 12" travel Fox 2.0s with 12" 200# over 14" 300# springs. I have no idea if this is correct but there's only 1 way to find out...
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #79
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This was an exciting day. The frame is sitting at about 23.5" and about half the shock shaft is showing. I didn't measure the shock shaft precisely but overall I'm happy with how it is working out. I still new to do some final welding and add the cross brace for the coil over hoops but she is getting closer and closer to being drivable.

Now to figure out how to get tire coverage. The stock fenders won't work because the tires hit the back of the wheel opening so I need something that opens up behind the tire a little bit, unfortunately. I was glad to see that i don't need to high line my hood/fenders. I think that the poison spyder defenders look like a good candidate because they provide a fairly robust flat surface that I could attach a custom flare to.
image-2049218007.jpg

Unread 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #80
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bet your getting anxious now. It's been a while since you had the Jeep out of that corner.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #81
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. 2 years at least. It's been outside twice since I started. Once to facilitate some cleanup and once to turn it around so I could work on the front. Even after the front is done, I won't be able to move it again until I get 2 more tires. Hoping to be able to do a shakedown run before July but I'm really slow so we'll see. It will get done though.... eventually.
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #82
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I also forgot to mention that I have a cracked exhaust manifold that I will need to replace. It should be easier to do with the fenders removed. I am going to replace it with the newer 2-piece manifold. I have cut most of the exhaust system off of the jeep at this point anyway so it shouldn't be difficult to retrofit a newer exhaust. The most difficult part is going to be getting it past the upper control arm on the passenger side.
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #83
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My exhaust manifold came off with astonishing ease. Not one stuck nut or bolt. I was able to thread most of them out by hand after breaking them loose with a wrench. I almost couldn't believe it.

Now I wait for my 2-piece manifold to come in the mail and I can put it all back together. I will need a custom y-pipe made but my jeep has no exhaust system at all so it didn't seem like a terrible idea to go with the 2-piece. If anyone knows a good place to get custom exhaust work done in central PA (Harrisburg area) I would appreciate it.
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #84
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I completed the exhaust from the manifold to the catalytic converter over the weekend. Here are some notes for folks who may be considering replacing their cracked 1 piece with an OEM late model two piece manifold. I had done a fair amount of searching about the swap but I didn't see some of these things posted on various internet forums. I was under the impression that I was going to have to get a custom y-pipe made to adapt to the two piece manifold but found that Walker Exhaust Part # 52317 will actually bolt right up. I purchased one from Summit Racing for $95 shipped. I got the 2 piece on e-bay for $55 shipped so, all total it was $150. The Walker part is not mandril bent but I don't expect it to cause any issues for me.

One other issue I ran into was that my 1997 only had 8 manifold bolts and washers installed. I'm not sure if I had lost one at some point in the past 16 years or if it was never installed. They use very specialized washers so I had to go to the dealership to get one.

It was about $5 for the bolt and washer. I was unable to remove the O2 sensor from my old set up and broke it in frustration, so I'll have to pick up a new one. The location of the bung has changed so I may need to splice in some wires to make it reach.

Also, with the 2 piece manifold, you will gain 2 holes in the manifolds which hold O2 sensors in the late models. I was unable to find plugs for them locally. The thread is 18mm x 1.5. I bought plugs from Summit racing to fill the holes for about $5 each, which seemed kind of expensive for what they are but alas.

Brakes, gears, fenders, tailpipe/muffler, drive shafts and front sway bar and I'll be in good shape!

Last edited by jose_p_adams; 01-21-2014 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: forgot something.
Unread 07-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #85
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I made the front bump stops and pushed it out of the garage to clean up today. Its sitting on the bump stops in the photo. Frame height is 19.5" and is pretty level from front to back. Not as low as some folks like to make them but I think it'll work.
jeep1.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.