Project Smokey a build that spun out of control - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Smokey a build that spun out of control

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #46
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
I noticed you used the BTF coil perches. I have a set in the garage waiting to be burned in, and I was also considering cutting off the top perch to offset the offset so to speak. I'm pretty sure I have enough backspacing that the tires won't rub, but your solution is more permanent. I may copy you. What degree did you set the lower perches at?
Yeah. I basically had no choice. If you have a full width axle, you should be OK. The only trouble with doing it the way I did was that my welding torch wouldn't fit between the plate that was welded to the frame and the perch. Using a stick welder or flux core would have solved that problem but I don't trust myself with a stick welder and didn't have any flux-core.

If I could do it again, I don't think I'd get the BTF brackets. The offset was problematic and I don't like that the bolts are welded into them.

I set the lower perches at 0 degrees at ride height. The angle doesn't change much through the range of suspension travel.

jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #47
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_p_adams View Post
Yeah. I basically had no choice. If you have a full width axle, you should be OK. The only trouble with doing it the way I did was that my welding torch wouldn't fit between the plate that was welded to the frame and the perch. Using a stick welder or flux core would have solved that problem but I don't trust myself with a stick welder and didn't have any flux-core.

If I could do it again, I don't think I'd get the BTF brackets. The offset was problematic and I don't like that the bolts are welded into them.
I wish I would have known about the offset beforehand too. If I did I may have gone in a different direction. I noticed that if I flip the upper perch to the inside then the offset is perfect, but that makes it more of a PITA to burn it in. I still haven't decided whether to flip it or cut it off yet.

And you're right about the bolts too. I don't necessarily mind that they're welded in, but the bolt is too big to fit my Currie bumps, so I'll have to modify them to fit. Overall a nice product, but could have been a little better thought out.

Build is looking good bro.......carry on.
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #48
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its going to be a PITA to weld them in either way, at least the part that mates to the bottom of the frame rail due to space limitations. Good luck to you.

Anyway, carrying on (as soon as I get my shocks).
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #49
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My shocks are scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Does anyone know if these shocks are compatible with the Ford shock towers normally used for rear shock outboarding without significant modification. The indication that I have gotten from reading online is that they will not but it is not entirely clear. I am just trying to figure out if I need to make my own or buy something other than those ford towers. Clearly, the ford towers are my #1 choice at this time.

Also, I took some measurements and my frame height (measured on the flat portion where the transfer case skid plate mounts) is ~24.5" with 39.5" irocs. This height will allow ~5" of uptravel. Does this seem right? I'm worried that I'm going to be too tall.

Does anyone know what the frame height (measured on the flat portion where the transfer case skid plate mounts) for a TJ with 4" lift and 35" tires? I'm trying to figure out how much lift I ended up creating with my spring relocation.

Thanks.
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #50
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I ran into that problem. The only way to get an accurate measurement is with the Jeep sitting on its own weight entirely.

24.5 sounds really high. I have 37s with 3 inches of lift. And mine is 20.5 at the frame.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #51
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I ran into that problem. The only way to get an accurate measurement is with the Jeep sitting on its own weight entirely.

24.5 sounds really high. I have 37s with 3 inches of lift. And mine is 20.5 at the frame.
Oh wow. You are way low.

This is the only picture I have of my frame before I tore my jeep apart

Looks like I was a little shy of 22" with 4" lift springs and 35" KMs. There is no way I could fit my tires at your height and retain reasonable suspension travel. I'm going to throw some 35's on there tomorrow and get a measurement. I don't think I could go any lower than 3" lift springs.
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #52
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have almost 5 inches of up travel right now, with Hilines and comp cut corners. My rear upper links do contact the tub at the rear truss. But, I will be fixing that soon. I could run your 39s with about 1 inch more bump stop in the front. LOL

3 inch savvy springs and genright weld on BL to clear my 37s now.
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #53
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And just for fun a quick comparison between a GM 14 Bolt Full Foat shaft and a Dana 35 shaft. In the top picture the Dana 35 is on the left. IN the bottom picture, it is on the right.

The difference doesn't really look like much, but apparently it is very significant.
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #54
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I have almost 5 inches of up travel right now, with Hilines and comp cut corners. My rear upper links do contact the tub at the rear truss. But, I will be fixing that soon. I could run your 39s with about 1 inch more bump stop in the front. LOL

3 inch savvy springs and genright weld on BL to clear my 37s now.
I haven't deal with my front yet because I literally have no room to do so until I finish the rear and can turn the jeep around.

I currently have 0" of body lift and my constraints for uptravel are both the axle (upper link mount) hitting the stock cross member and the tires contacting the body. If I were to install a 1" body lift and notch the stock cross member, I could theoretically go from a 4" lift spring to a 3" lift spring without losing any suspension travel.

This is definitely giving me a lot to think about. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need to install a 1" body lift to accomodate the genright tank and if I do that, then I should take advantage.

I appreciate the input.
Unread 01-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #55
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After some deliberation and double checkng the jeep, I decided to order a 1.25" body lift. With the body lift, I will be able to accomodate 1" more uptravel or 1" lower springs with the same uptravel. The current plan is to get 1" lower springs and notch the crossmember. I will also be getting a 1" motor mount lift and building a flat skid plate. The skid plate will be constructed out of an old cistern cover that a friend gave me. It sat outside for many years and is pretty badly pitted but it has an average thickness of ~1/4" so I think it will do. The 1" body lift will create some additional space that I need to put things such as the exhaust and sway bar, so it is a win/win.

I also got my shocks and they are pretty slick. Definitely much higher quality than the junk I was using. They are valved 30/80 and I'm not totally sure what that means so hopefully it works. It is nice to know that I can change it if it sucks.

Unread 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #56
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got my body lift mostly installed today. It would definitely be a straight forward job on a jeep that has seen less salt than mine. Surprisingly, 9 of the 11 bolts came out with no trouble. The rear most driver side bolt broke the captured nut loose but a little hole saw and a little welder took care of that one quickly and easily. The middle bolt below the door on the passenger side broke off almost flush with the body mount channel and it is still broken off in there. I made a few attempts at welding a nut to what was left over but they were all unsuccessful and I kind of made a mess of what is left of the bolt. I think that I may be better off just drilling and re-tapping instead of continuing the fight with the welder. I'm open to suggestions.

Overall I'm happy with the body lift. It is going to provide a lot more space for things to go between the body and the bottom of the frame.
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #57
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got the body lift fully installed. I ended up drilling and tapping the broken bolt. Now, I have to notch and reinforce the crossmember that used to support the fuel tank and shocks and re-do my bump stops. And then finally mount the rear shocks. Also, at some point I am going to have to pick up a rear anti-rock which I will run in front of the wheel arches.
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #58
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got some time to work on the jeep again. I got the passenger side shock mocked up. I made shock towers out of a 5" x 5" x 0.25" square tubing that I found at the local surplus store. I made the lower shock brackets out of a 3" x 3/16" flat bar. The lower shock brackets place the center of the shock 3" from the axle tube and are mounted 0 degrees from the center of the axle tube so they are up away from "stuff". I still have a lot of clean-up and finish work to do and I have a few adjustments to make but I'm happy with things so far. Here are a few pics I took after I wrapped up. I threw the tires and springs on to see how things sat.

This one is deceiving because of the angle the photo was taken from. The shock is not that close to the frame cut.

This shows ~6.75" of shock shaft showing. This is with my 4" springs installed. Since these shocks are nitro charged they add some lift to the springs. With no fuel tank or any load in the rear of the jeep my rear springs measure out to 13". I plan to get some shorter springs that will measure out to 11" when the jeep is assembled so I should end up with ~5 uptravel.

Unread 02-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #59
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I need to get a rear sway bar. I'm looking at the anti-rock. They have a few options. One is the standard bolt on anti-rock that is mounted above the fuel tank behind the axle. The other option is the universal anti-rock kit. http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2773 Currie recommends mounting this on behind the axle as well but I'm not sure that behind the axle will work with the stretch I put on.

I was thinking something like the Tinker toy:

Has anyone dealt with this issue? Any thoughts on this approach?
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #60
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thats the same way I mounted my rear AR. Let me see if I can find you good picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.