Project: The Silver Bullet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project: The Silver Bullet

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Project: The Silver Bullet

So I have been in and out of this site for a while now. I don't really post to much around here but I figured I'd throw up a build thread for the hell of it.

So sometime around October12, just as I was putting up my Durango for sale, and planning on getting something cheap for my wife to drive with the upcoming baby, this 2001 XJ pulls into the lot. Before the customer even bought a new car I planned on grabbing this. And that I did.

As you can see from the pics, it just needed a little love to look a little better. So the plan was for it to be my wife's DD. I put new flares where they were missing, put on 2in booster up front and 3in AAL out back, put some rugged terrain tires that measured to be about 30in tall, tinted the windows and cleaned it up a bit, and it was done.....or so I thought.

Then I had to do some work wheeling

Well shortly after the baby came

We found out that the AC was going to cost a bit to fix, the rear end had some problems that I hadn't looked into yet and the wife wanted a new car.
The 1st plan was for this to be my DD and the wife gets her new car and I trade in our Saturn, all while project "Unicorn" is still my underway.

Suddenly one day I got this seed of an idea and couldn't stop thinking about it. So the plans changed. Instead of tinkering away at the "Unicorn" project for years to come, I decided to start from scratch with a clean and pure newer jeep. This was the beginning of Project "Silver Bullet"

SAMSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So the basic plan for this would be...
2001 XJ 4.0
6in of lift
4:56 gears
front and rear locked
over the knuckle ungraded steering
red letter general grabber 35's
just about every skid plate
sliders
front and rear bumpers

lots of new and used parts going into this build

So up front we will go with these used 6.5in rustys coils. quick sand down and rattle canned

we have some upper and lower fixed control arms from Rustys.

yea they kinda look like crap, and im sure the paint will eventually peel, but whatever.

Last edited by SAMSET; 03-21-2014 at 12:12 PM..
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Then I pulled the transfer case out of my 95 before i sent it to the junk yard. this had my SYE on it. the case was originally from a 96 so its is the same one that is in the 01

Out back I will be running the 6in leaf Big Offroad leaf springs I got used

Also I got plenty of protection used.
aj's offroad sliders

a rustys engine skid
a rustys transfer case skid
stock front skid
stock gas tank skid
i put pics up later of those

Then I got some new stuff.
RWK sent me 4:56 gears, master install kits, carrier and a front spartan locker.

Unread 03-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

new jcr bumper

Unread 03-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Got the sliders all grinded down to bare metal.

when i started this project i had no idea it had a turdy five in it

so i planned on taking out the rear end and slapping in the rear i pulled out of my 95
reasons:
1-the 95 has a locker in it
2-the 95 just had all new brakes put on
3-the 01 was grinding bad

what i did not know was that the 01 had a d35 in it. we are starting the tear down and wondering what the hell all these extra lines are for the brakes. one guy that works here said those are ABS lines. as soon as he said that rew and i glanced over at the pumpkin and confirm, yep thats a D35.

so unexpected reason number 4 swap out the d35 with a locked 8.25

also got the front bumper up and installed. sliders are painted .
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

here is a couple pics of the JCR bumper

getting gears installed. he had to do a little grinding front and rear because the lockers would not fit past the ring gears. he said it should be fine and if by chance they do break, he will buy and install me a new set on the house.

also, SYE'ed transfer case is in
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Saturday mornings projects was to get the front lift installed. I had a wedding to get to so i wanted to work from 8 to 1.

every thing came off pretty simple. upper and lower arms came out nice and with the track bar out, the springs fell right out.

the lower arms bolted right back in but the uppers took some figuring out. finally after a lot of trial and error the blots lined up with the hole.

by this time i was already half hour late, so we got it down on the ground, installed the track bar and said i will worry about the shocks later.

so i had a 40 miles drive with no shocks and some pretty serious death wobble. took me about an hour.

6.5in front 3in rear 30in tires
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

so after the transfer case with the SYE was installed, i started having bad vibrations, like riding a vibrator to work kind of vibrations. during the install 3 of the trans mount studs snapped and it currently has one.

threw a new one in and seemed to take care of the issue

1st time attacking the rear lift was a fail. nothing was moving.

round 2 at the rear lift.

the grinder idea was a fail in this situation, the sawzaw was doing little to no work. my brother and i decided to try the torch.

eventually, and with plenty of hard work, and small fires, we got the springs out.

a few more struggles and the new springs went in.

1 bolt on each shock snapped, still need to figure that out. ran out of time so the brake hose is just hanging. i have new extended ones to install.

the pass side front leaf spring bolt went right in, but the driver side did not. should not be a problem, i just didnt want to waste any time on it last night.

anyways technically its lifted

Last edited by SAMSET; 03-21-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Saturdays projects were replace the new trans mount, swap out the track bar, do the IRO steering, and give it an over all look.

started with the trans mount that went fine. then went with the overall look, and found that one of the rear shocks came off. so i used a self tapping screw on the side wwith the snapped bolt and hoping that last...or at least for now.

i will probably come back to that problem later on both sides.

then my sweet IRO hiem joint track bar

time caused my to bail on the steering. but the jeep is drive correctly down the road so i am happy.

pulled the flares off. planning on putting the tires on and trimming the fenders

Next job was tires. Ran into a problem, of coarse it had to be the last tire, 2 of the lugs would not come off. They had recently been off so I assume I must have cross threaded them. Gave it to one of the guys and he used some extractor tool to remove them. Cool new black lugs went on afterward.

Then I needed to test the flex, and fenders/qrt situation. I did need to trim some of the fenders but left the qrt alone. Will likely trim them to at some point, but I couldn't even turn with the fenders like that, so they had to go.

For the most part it is riding nice, dame Rt. rear shock fell off again, so I will have to bump the shocks up to the top of the list. All of them are install wrong. Tires are wobbly as hell so I may pick up those beads sooner than later.
Other than that...pics

1st we flexed on the alinement rack at work

I do not have any artistic part about me, and cant hold a steady hand to save my life. So for cosmetic purposes, I like to have my brother do my cutting.

Then we have this

Baby Kara in the driver seat.
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

tech here stayed late to help me out with the Iron Rock Offroad over the knuckle steering.

oblivious I painted it all red

I went with the 5/8 upgrade so the knuckles had to be drill out

So it wouldn't be a jeep if there was not issues. When installing the stabilizer shock the way the directions say to, it does not fit. It is hitting the track bar.

Balancing beads went in. 30+ miles at 80mph on the way home and they worked great!
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

finally found a lil rust on this jeep

but either way i need to do the cut and fold to put on my rear bumper
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I was running into some death wobble issues at this point to i decided to throw a few parts to help on with that.

control arm drop brackets
sway bar disco's
steering stabilizer

but 1st more cutting

Then I had my artistic wife who does things wife paint and decals on a regular bases.

I had her do it because I assumed she would do a much better than myself

Not perfect but not to bad

WTH happened here!
Notice the over spray on top AND the huge drips down the side in the front

Dont worry i got it fixed

baby kara getting ready to be the next driver

Unread 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

getting a sway bar and sway bar disconnects on.

Guys at work welding the rear sway bar brackets to the floor, for my shocks.

Got a bracket for the steering stabilizer welded up on the left side, to get it out of the way of all that steering it was hitting.

Mounted it up and drove it home. Very happy with the smooth ride after this and the sway bar.

The bracket is half of a explorer door hinge, crazy the perfect **** you find laying on the floor of a body shop

knocking out a few more here and theres
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

picked up a set of rough country control arm drop brackets to improve the ride a little bit. aside from those damn bolts that are a ***** to get in and out of their holes, everything went on smooth

added some euro horsepower by spraying my lights black
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
SAMSET
2001 XJ Cherokee 

started the cut and fold

sanded down primed and painted the little lip on the bottom of the qrt
went with black to keep the flow of the wheel lips

then cleaned up and threw a fresh coat up flat black on the bumper

Had cut a little bit off

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.