Project: Scope Creep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project: Scope Creep

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

Project: Scope Creep

In a time long long ago (but in this galaxy...)

My dad bought this jeep as his first car, I mean Jeep!

It's a 1976 Jeep CJ7 w/304 and a 3 speed on the floor.

Here is a vintage picture of my dad (well he's the one behind the camera) and the jeep from back in the day.

I'm told it was one of the first CJ7's off the production line. In fact in typical Jeep fashion it even came with a few CJ5 parts like the Grill.

As any great father would do he passed it along to me as my first car, some 15+ years ago. For what ever reason the jeep made it through my teen years nearly unscarred. I wrecked every other car I got my hands on like most teens trying to learn how to drift on a gravel road in front wheel drive Honda Accord.

I've got a bit of catching up to do to get you up to speed on where it sits today. I'll warn you Jeep purists I didn't keep it stock so if that sort of thing bothers you turn away now. I did however go out of my way to keep every part I've taken off and not do anything I couldent easily undo in case I change my mind.

Unread 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
MCObray

Subscribed. I've got a good feeling about this thread...
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

When I turned 15 my father didn't just hand over the keys to the jeep which had been sitting outside our barn for 3-4 years not running. Keep in mind we lived in Oregon so lots of Rain, Rust and Mold. Thankfully they are a rather green state and never allowed Salt on the roads.

In any event it took a major flood, nearly a 100year flood with the Jeep in 4 feet of water for him to hand over the keys. Even to this day my family tells stories how guy after guy came by asking about the jeep and if it was ok during and after the flood. They didn't ask about the farm...just the jeep.

Upon hearing of my dad handing over the keys one of those concerned guys, a neighbor, offered to get the water out of the block and see if he could get it running for me. Withing a few hours, complete fluid change and a leaf blower in each cylinder it was running better than before the flood. I was in business.

Well not so fast, as any good mother would do after my father handed me the keys she said you can't drive it until you put in a full roll cage and 5 point seat belts. I spent the entire summer mowing lawns saving up only to fall short, really really short.

Eventually my father stepped in and subsidized the required equipment.

Here is the cage, it was just an add-on kit we had the local shop drop in for us. It probably has the ugliest welds I've ever seen and no frame tie-ins. Just supported by the questionable at best rusty tub.

Unread 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

Here it is all cleaned up and running about 15 years ago in my parents Garage

Unfortuntatly college came around and it just wasn't pratical to take all the way to Arizona so I secured a spot in the Garage and signed in blood that some day I would come pick it up.
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

A few short years later I finally had an apartment with a garage and decided I needed to go rescue the jeep before my mom made good on her threat and put it on eBay. I managed to sucker a friend into a road trip from Oregon to Arizona with me.fficeffice" />>>
>>
Once I got it back to Arizona I decided it needed more elevation, so I ordered up a RE 4.5" Lift kit for it. I had no intentions of doing a full rebuild or a rebuild of anything. Just a simple lift kit, some new rubber and go have fun. >>
>>
Half way though the lift install and 2-3 rusty parts hitting me in the face I manned up, had a shot of Jose (not the gold crap) Reserva De La Familia, and project Scope Creep was in full effect. I did a complete 180 and just started tearing parts off, everyone I knew thought I was nuts....and I was.

Tear down done, the rebuilt starts.

Done so far:

Engine: Factory AMC 304 – Rebuilt - Custom mild comp cam for low end torque, factory motercraft carb.

Transmission: Hughes Performance AMC TH400 w/ Novak D300 Adapter and output shaft
( I kept the T150 just in case I get nostalgic)

Transfer Case: Dana 300

Axles:
Front - D30 / 4.56 / ARB Air locker
Rear - A D44 Front Housing High Pinion with Rear tubes mounted backwards with reverse cut gears / 4.56 / ARB Air Locker

Frame: Stock + M.O.R.E Frame kit on Front, Rear and Rear x-member. Sandblasted, welded painted and straightened.

Suspension: Rubicon Express 4.5” + 1” Daystar body lift and some basic Pro Comp Shocks.
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

More Pics

Used Self Etching Primer/Sealer and then undercoated the tub.

Unread 09-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

I got tired of pushing it around and the front tires going in opposite directions so I had a local shop fabricate up a tie rod for me out of solid aluminum. They drilled & tapped it for the Heim's and also machined the hex into the outside to tighten them. The idea behind using aluminum is that it should bounce back to its original shape after impact rather than bend and stay bent like steel. (Plus I think it looks cool)

Unread 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

First photo looks like an old advertisement.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

The body installed with a 1" body lift.

Unread 10-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

I ran into a few issue when test fitting the body.

The engine is hitting the firewall.

It looks like the transmission support I had fabbed is too long. I will have to cut it off and shorten it up.

Also a good shot of the Hughes Performance AMC Th400 mounted the Dana 300 (4:1) kit ordered.
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Much potential for win, this thread does have.
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Jeep32
2002 WJ 

Looks great!!
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

Well I'm a ways behind on documenting my progress so here goes.

Sanding and sanding and more sanding.

Unread 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

After a trip to the local paint store, a borrowed air compressor / gun and an hour worth of videos on youtube I decided I would paint it myself.

The color was form the scratch and dent pile, no idea what it is.

My Custom down draft paint booth, I put the air intake up high (not a type-o, thats how I felt after) and the vent out down low, that way the crap in my paint was consistent at all heights.

Unread 10-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
mtndew1
1976 CJ7 

Dents and all....because I didn't want to sand any more the results are in.

I did Al's liner on the inside of the tub. Got it in gray.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.