I've had my '94 Wrangler for about 11 years now, and she was my DD for about 7. Then it sat for three years while I was away at training, rusting away in my parent's driveway and being driven occasionally. I finally got back a few months ago, fired it up and drove 1,100 miles down the east coast to where I live now (Iím surprised it made it
). The rust is getting really bad on the tub, with a nice huge hole in the driverís floor pan and on the side. 5th gear hasn't worked in a few years either. Itís time to strip everything down, fix some of these problems, and swap in a v8! I've never done anything close to this scale before so Iíll be learning a lot as I go and taking it slow.
My goals for the swap:
- Fix this damn rust. Iím going to try and get the tub repaired but my welding skills are nonexistent, so if itís too much $ I may just buy a used tub somewhere.
- Swap out the I4 for a v8. Iím planning on a Magnum 318 or maybe a 360 if I can find a good deal
- Put in an Old Man Emu 2.5Ē lift and a 1 inch body lift with 33Ē tires. Iíve got a Black Diamond 1.5Ē lift and 32ís on it now, but I want something a little bigger. Iím probably going to skip an axle upgrade for now, if/when the D35 rear dies then Iíll get an 8.8.
- Repair/replace the rusted parts, fix all the dents, and get the body repainted. Clean and paint the frame, under the tub, and re-apply new bed liner inside.
- Install a winch, new lighting, and redo the interior.
Hereís what she looks like now.