2Likes
  • 1 Post By knightwolf654
  • 1 Post By knightwolf654

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
knightwolf654
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Project Rust Bucket 99 TJ Build/Restoration

i have been fighting the urge to start one of these build threads seeing as this rebuild is going to take several years to complete. but, what the heck. this is part of the fun!

so here she is... several years ago after a 2.5" Rough country lift.

she was my daily driver up until about a year or so ago after finding that only a few bolts were left holding the body down. thus the first of the rust problems were found.

so she was parked in my parents back yard until i could start working on her and started driving a 09 ford focus. earlier this year i bought my first home and drove her over to her new home in my own garage and started digging in. i knew the rust was bad, but some of this was quite unexpected. the rear of the frame has issues, both torque boxes need replacement, driver side floor board, both front fenders, gas tank skid plate, and tail gate all have some major rust issues. so first things first i need to get this thing rust free and then the fun can begin. now i know i could sell this thing and get something with a lot less rust on it but that takes the fun out of it! so i have broken this build into three phases:

Phase 1: break down jeep - clean and repair all rust problems

Phase 2: lower drive-train and suspension lift

Phase 3: V8 swap

thats what i have so far, i am planning to move from the 32" tires i am on right now up to 37", for that i want to do a 3.5" lift from metalcloak and their fenders. but thats all in the future, for now i need to get this rust cleaned up. i started tearing down the interior and i am not liking what i found so far, lots of body work coming...

next to the drivers seat:

passenger floor pan:

passenger side rear:

had to drill out all the bolts to get the tail gate off so i could replace the hinges. i had to really put my weight into it to get that darn thing to open:

thats what i got for now, more to come!

scotch737 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM
scotch737

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Good luck and have fun. Take your time, get rid of all the cancer. Invest in a sheet metal brake. I've found those body mount channels for $120 ish cut off junkyard stuff. But it's scary knowing you could be buying something with cancer already started. So I bought a brake to make my own on my TJ. I'll post pics when I start that phase. My TJ was a MA heep for it's first 14 years. So I'm dealing with alot of rust myself. But when she is done, it'll be spotless until my first shakedown run at URE, lmao.

"Who you trying to get crazy with ese? Don't you know I'm Loco!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
At least they have perfected boob jobs. You can't even tell anymore. That's one good thing.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
knightwolf654
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if i could manage to fit one in my garage with my jeep i would, but i'm going the cheapo route for the time being as i need to invest in a decent welder first. i did find most of the sheet metal parts i need online for decent prices. some areas like the one in the passenger side rear i will have to make myself. first things first is the body needs to come off the frame. that should make it alot easier to repair the bottom of the body as well as the frame sections.
speaking of the frame, here is a shot of the problem area i have found and its the same on both sides:

post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2016, 06:56 PM
scotch737

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yep, that's a common spot on TJ's.. They put that big hole in the frame to get to the control arm nut.. Why I do not know, you can put a wrench on it. But alas, they forgot to put a drain hole for all the crap that comes in there. So after you repair it, dont forget about drain holes.

Quote:
At least they have perfected boob jobs. You can't even tell anymore. That's one good thing.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
knightwolf654
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i wish i would have put that in there when i bought it back in 2009, then maybe the frame wouldn't be in such bad shape. o well, lesson learned

i got more of it taken apart today. most of the bolts holding the cage on are out. also got some horror pics for ya

This is whats left of the drivers side torque box.

**I am not liable for any nightmares this image may cause.**

scotch737 likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-11-2016, 07:18 PM
scotch737

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
another wise investment after your build. Every Jeep owner should know this or be informed of it.. Go to local home depot, lowes , or etc garden home center.. Buy a cheap Oscillating sprinkler. Really just $20 bucks. Everytime after you wheel or have a snow storm, mud etc. Park one of those under your jeep, leave it on all night while you sleep. Never again have frame rotting from inside out problem.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.