Project Rust Bucket - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Rust Bucket

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #271
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ok ... what is the only truck better than a TJ?
a slightly longer TJ!

guys ... you need to understand ... a TJ unlimited (or LJ) is soooooo rare here (maybe 3 only in the UAE?)!

and this one comes with the rare hardtop and is a pristine 2006 manual....

so any delays with RB excused!

chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #272
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
ok ... what is the only truck better than a TJ?
a slightly longer TJ!

guys ... you need to understand ... a TJ unlimited (or LJ) is soooooo rare here (maybe 3 only in the UAE?)!

and this one comes with the rare hardtop and is a pristine 2006 manual....

so any delays with RB excused!
Yep, according to my research, only 3 LJs made it to the UAE. This is the only one with a manual and a hardtop. Also, as per the country's regulations, we can't import any car/truck that is older than 5 years. So this on is extremely rare and I just couldn't miss the opportunity.

The truck is going to get the AEV highline, axles, bumpers, tires, suspension, winch, compressor and lights from RB. It will be used as my weekly off roader.

RB is going to retain the engine but will be destined to a more hardcore fittings.

I have not decided on the new truck's final color. It may get RB's blue, an egg shell white, or remain black for a while..
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #273
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice score how did you find that, it is in perfect shape. Make it blue ............
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #274
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
Nice score how did you find that, it is in perfect shape. Make it blue ............
I had to search for a full year and use some connections to locate the LJs. This one was parked in Al Ain for 4 years. It is a Canadian import and only got 22,000KM (13,670 miles) on the clock.

I will be visiting my painter next week for a quick chat. I don't want to spend much. I'm not going to paint the interior of the truck as I did with RB. So, It should be cheaper as they don't need to strip down anything.

My painting choices seems to be:

- Keep it black : then I only need to paint the AEV front end. Best for sale value.
- Viper Blue : then I only need to paint the tub. Cool Catchy color.
- Other Colors : I have to paint the whole thing. More expensive.
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #275
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would keep it black. As nice as that blue looks, there's no real need to repaint the LJ. Save the money on painting the LJ for other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #276
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I would keep it black. As nice as that blue looks, there's no real need to repaint the LJ. Save the money on painting the LJ for other things.
That is what I also inclined to do. As you said, I rather spend the money on other stuff right now. I could always paint the truck later in a year or two.
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #277
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If your on a budget, just do the front end otherwise what they charge around here to match the front end I would go blue, 1000dur would get that done for you?
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #278
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If your on a budget, just do the front end otherwise what they charge around here to match the front end I would go blue, 1000dur would get that done for you?
Not in Abu Dhabi, and not with a quality job ..

I will be visiting the painter on Saturday for some cost estimates. I might try a new friend's workshop to see if I can get a discount.

For Now, I'm preparing the new truck for its first off-roading trip..

I will take some pictures tomorrow.
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #279
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome glad you could join the LJ club. Good luck deciding a paint job. The highline should make it look great no matter what paint gets sprayed. What axles do you have in mind?

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #280
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Awesome glad you could join the LJ club. Good luck deciding a paint job. The highline should make it look great no matter what paint gets sprayed. What axles do you have in mind?
Thanks ..

The LJ is going to receive the front and rear Dana 44s that are currently in RB.

I have not decided on what axle RB will get yet ..
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #281
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have finally done my first trip with the new truck.

Overall, the truck behaved splendidly as expected. The behavior during side slopping and side cresting is greatly improved over the TJ. The LJ was also very stable during fast dirt sections.

But the biggest improvement was in the level of comfort. Hitting bumps at high speed no longer require sacrificing a backbone!

The engine was very responsive. It will be more than enough for now. Therefore, modifying or replacing it is out of scope. For now at least!

So, lets go to the negatives points:

1- the biggest one is the transmission. It grinds in 4lo but doesn't in 4hi.
2- There is a leak that is either from the hardtop or the windshield. This should be a minor problem that can easily be fixed.
3- The tires have no grip or flotation at all! I had to press it hard to keep the truck above the sand. Again, this is not a big deal since The tires are going to be replaced soon anyway.
4- The temperature rose above the mid level. But I guess that is normal for newer Jeeps under hot conditions. Further investigations needs to be made.

So.. What now ?

For the LJ:
1- studying what to take and what to keep from RB.
2- preparing lists of things I need to fix and buy.
3- deciding on the Jeep's final color

For RB:
I haven't exactly decided on the details. But I'm preparing it for this:
http://abudhabidesertchallenge.com/index.aspx

Unread 12-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #282
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So what are the car specs for entering the Challenge? Looks like it could be fun.
Unread 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #283
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So what are the car specs for entering the Challenge? Looks like it could be fun.
It is a stage of FIA Cross Country Rally World Cup. The rules and regulations are basically same as Dakar Rally.

I'm hoping to finish all stages ... So nothing fancy ..
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #284
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Soo.. I'm deciding on the swapping order. I'm trying to keep the downtime between weekends as minimum as possible.

1- bumpers & tire carrier

The LJ might get an AEV tire carrier. I found a cheap used one but I not 100% decided yet. The tire carrier looks nice mounted on Warn Bumpers.

I'm planning to weld it little bit outward to allow the Acessories (like the fuel caddy) to fit.

2- Electrical and plumping work

Moving and wiring the ARB twin compressor, Mopar compressor, And Savvy LED should come next.

I'm keeping the current sPOD on the TJ since it doesn't fit the LJ. So, a new sPOD have to be ordered and installed for the later. I'm also keeping the 2.5 gallon air tank on the TJ and adding a small compressor for it.

I have some mixed feelings about the LEDs. I have not decided on keeping or moving them yet.

3- AEV Highline

Moving the AEV Highline kit should come next. Naturally, I will need to do some painting as well. I haven't decided on the color yet. I will either keep it black, or go eggshell white. I'm keep The blue for RB.

The LJ will stay with the stock wheels and tires. So it will look funny for a while.

4- axles, lift kit, Control arms, and tires

The lift and the control arms should be straight forward. I'm only adding a relocation bracket and drilling a hole to center the front and rear axles.

The front axle should not be that hard. I'm planning to keep the stock front brakes on the LJ. The TJ is more powerful and it will need the extra stopping power.

The rear is where I'm really concerned. The biggest issue is the rear breaks, as the TJ is drum based and the LJ is disc based. converting them will be a headache. I'm wondering if just moving the ARB locker could be an easier option.

The 35" tires will move temprarly until the TJ is ready to get them back. Then, the LJ will receive 17" wheels with 35" all terrain tires.
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #285
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

5- tummy tuck and rocker guards

I will need to order a new SYE and driveshaft for the rear. I tried to get a new skid and rockers from Kilby. But they do not ship outside US. So, I need to look for other options ...

Tags
1998 , abu dhabi , rust bucket , tj , uae

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.