Project Rust Bucket - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Rust Bucket

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #226
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey oalali,

this is only the top top top level of all the findings we discussed lately.
The can of worms is much deeper

Has anyone heard of any TJ pcm of any year which does NOT trip a CEL for a COMPLETELY MISSING upstream O2 sensor???
And when you connect one it completely ignores it?

chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #227
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalali View Post
Sorry for not updating, here is what happened so far:

After few dyno inspections runs, we discovered that the engine is running rich while idle and lean while on load.

The tuner tried to fix this by installing AEM's F/IC8 controller. After a 3 degree retard and fuel table adjustment, the results became as following:

1- On idle, the engine is running way too rich.
2- On load, the fuel is better but is still a bit lean.
3- Knock was eliminated until engine reaches above average temperature.
4- Fuel consumption is very high.

We stopped right there. We can't retard the timing, or increase the fuel anymore as the engine had some hard time starting. Also the fuel consumption was very bad.

To be continued ..
My Jeep is doing something similar. I get both a to rich code, and a to lean code from my CEL, and it guzzles gas. Good luck getting yours all sorted out! Maybe after you figure yours out I'll have an idea of what to fix on mine!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #228
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So back to the drawing board.

The first thing I did was sending the results to Chad from Golen, My main source of support and information!

Chad said, "What brand o2 sensor are you running? We have seen many problems with aftermarket brands and recommend running factory Chrysler sensors only. "

"I'm currently running the stock O2 sensor. Do you think that it might be defective ? I will check it out. What other sensors I should check ? " was my replied.

But then I got this "icy feeling" !!

I checked all of my previous exhaust pictures and none of them shows any O2 sensor Bung !

This explained all of my problems. Or at least this is what I though at the time....

The next day I went under my truck and sure enough, there were no O2 sensors installed!

Two things puzzled me at this point:
1) Why I didn't get any Check Engine light?
2) Who covered the sensor connectors with nice factory looking covers ?

Anyway, since the wiring is still there I decided to add the missing sensors and see how it goes. After a short trip to the stealership and the exhaust shop, I got both upstream and downstream installed!

Before going anywhere, I removed the AEM FIC 8 and returned everything back to factory configuration. I then went to a test run hoping to see some improvement.

But none of that happened. there was no change at all to the problem !!

To be continued ..
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #229
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Licking my wounds after the latest defeat , I went back to the drawing board.

I tried to reset the PCM memory tables but that didn't do anything.

I then borrowed a diagnostic tool to see if the PCM is reporting any errors. The only report it showed was related to the battery temperature sensor.

I browsed around and reached the O2 sensor report. I found nothing! There was no voltage reported! The PCM didn't even recognize the sensors !

Two things bothered me at this point:
1- is there a problem with the electrical wiring ?
2- Why the PCM is not showing any Check Engine sign ?

I did the same procedure on couple of other Jeep wranglers just to be sure. Both of them showed o2 sensors data. I knew for sure that the issue is either with the wiring or with the PCM itself.

Since I had couple of Jeeps around and since one of them happened to be the same model year as mine, I decided to swap the PCM first. This what happened when I did so:
1- the engine started running rough (A/F mixture of the other Jeep).
2- Check engine light came up with two warnings:
-------> A- P1492 (battery issue).
-------> B- first O2 sensor readings is two high

The second error showed clearly that the PCM was the source of the issue.

I can't reset the PCM (since it belongs to some one else) but I decided to take a test run anyway. The results were as following:
1- the truck's temperature is way lower. It is almost normal now.
2- The engine is more powerful.
3- There is only little knock lift. The testing PCM behaved even better than the AEM FIC 8!

Now I'm sure that things will even get better if I was able to reset the PCM tables, which will allow the PCM to get fully tuned to the stroked engine. I only need to find a used PCM that can actually read o2 sensors.
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #230
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet! Good luck with all of that! I just ignore my CEL and live with the bad gas mileage since it's not my daily driver, lol!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #231
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Sweet! Good luck with all of that! I just ignore my CEL and live with the bad gas mileage since it's not my daily driver, lol!

you should check your o2 sensors since those tend to cause problems with the fuel.

I'm not worried about having CEL. I'm worried about NOT having CEL!

Knowing that I have no Oxygen sensors at all and yet not seeing any CEL makes me wonder about what other things are missed up in my PCM !?

I'm cool with CEL as long as I know what is wrong. Jeeps are not rockets. As long as the engine temperature is fine then CEL is just another light to illuminate the interior !

Anyway, I'm currently visiting the Junkyards and looking for an alternative PCM to run my truck.
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #232
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I hope you get it sorted man. Awesome build. Love that you used the stroked motor.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #233
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
I hope you get it sorted man. Awesome build. Love that you used the stroked motor.
Thanks !

The build got little slower. But I will add some progress pictures soon !
Unread 06-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #234
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hows the search going for the module, you could probably get a rebuilt one from the state?

Or is it now driving OK.

Nick.
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #235
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
Hows the search going for the module, you could probably get a rebuilt one from the state?

Or is it now driving OK.

Nick.
Yeah, I got one recently. It can't run the engine by it self. But it runs fine in combination with the AEM FI/C 8. Not perfect, But that can be tuned through a Dyno Shop.

I believe that the main issue is either with the Crank sensor, MAP sensor, or both. Those are easy fixes if I didn't already install the AEM chip. I might end up removing the AEM and do those easy fixes instead.
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #236
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry guys for keeping you out of the loop.

Here are some pictures of what went into my truck last week.

The old control arms were replaced with a complete set of Currie Enterprises Adjustable Control arms.

Due to a newly introduced law. I had to replace my 3" exhaust with a smaller 2.5" unit.

What you see is Magnaflow Catalyst with Dynamax Cut Back.

To be honest I love the new Quite Jeep..

I realized that I didn't post any pictures for the complete truck yet. So here is a dirty iphone picture !
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #237
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been enjoying this build! Thanks for all of the updates.

Did you get the AEV TT sorted out?
I do have to say that I have a lot of experience with after market T-Case skids and you should never have to spread the frame to instal one. Either your frame has issues from an accident or that TT needs to be replaced. I am planning on using the same AEV TT and it will fit or get returned.
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #238
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
I've been enjoying this build! Thanks for all of the updates.

Did you get the AEV TT sorted out?
I do have to say that I have a lot of experience with after market T-Case skids and you should never have to spread the frame to instal one. Either your frame has issues from an accident or that TT needs to be replaced. I am planning on using the same AEV TT and it will fit or get returned.
Thanks!

Yes, I got the AEV sorted out. I ended up spreading the frame. I had to spread it by about 2mm (0.07 inch) in total. So it wasn't a big deal.

I don't know if it was my chassis or the TT. AEV told me that every plate is basically laser cut so they are the same. Unlike the original skid plate, the bolt hole on the TT is exactly the same size as the one in the frame. So it Bound to be a tite fit.

returning it isn't a bad idea. but I live half away around the world and dealing with shipping and waiting time is really problimistic ..
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #239
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalali View Post
but I live half away around the world and dealing with shipping and waiting time is really problimistic ..
yeah, I think I would have been making it work too.
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #240
DesertDozer

Awesome build and a great looking rig, mashallah, where do you wheel?

Tags
1998 , abu dhabi , rust bucket , tj , uae

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.