Project Ruby Re-do - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Ruby Re-do

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #91
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT
New side project idea for the Jeep today. I'm having issues with faded factory fog lights. They're bugging me. Ha! What would everybody recommend to re-finish? So far I've though regular rustoleum semi-gloss, rustoleum automotive enamel, or plastidip. My big concern is how well the finished product will hold up in the sun. So far the regular rustoleum I've used on my bumper looks decent. But I don't want to look cheap either. Any first hand experience would be welcome!
Bedliner ?

Unread 08-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #92
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I decided to go the Plastidip route for no other reason than unbridled curiosity. Didn't actually get to the fog lights yesterday though. However, I did manage to do my door handles. First impression... Massive improvement! I like the look of the stuff better than I like Rustoleum, and it feels just as sturdy. Only time will tell me otherwise.

Peeling and faded driver's door handle, half masked

Make sure that you get a good line on your masking tape. This appeared to be the vital part of not only getting a clean line, but also making sure that it wouldn't peel off down the road. Take your time and only do it once, or be lazy and do it more than once.

Honestly I think I masked off more than I needed to. Everybody states that you can just peel the excess away once it dries. But it only took me 30 extra seconds to throw the newspaper up there.

Driver's side all finished

Passenger's side

Close up of the texture

Honestly it only cost me 5 bucks and two hrs while I waited 15-30 minutes for each new coat. But I think it's the secks.
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #93
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also found this small issue...

When I called Clayton regarding their pro series 3 link with bridge they made it clear that they didn't recommend it for any lift under 4 inches. I was sitting at around 3.5, so this should have been a bit expected. However, when we test flexed everything we didn't see it happening. It must only contact in one certain circumstance. Nonetheless I knew that before I destroyed my oil pan I'd better gain a bit of clearance. Ended up adjusting the coilovers almost 3/4". Worked out well because I was a little taller in the rear since I changed rear bumpers.

Before

After

Not a ton of difference, but it's there. Should be just enough.
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #94
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to fixing my death wobble! New Teraflex track bar in place and I'm all set. I get a slight vibration now is all so I'm going to double check the tightness in all other bolts and have my toe-in set to 1/8" instead of the 1/16" that Big O Tire did... Maybe install a new steering stabilizer to help keep everything tight for a longer period of time.

On a different note, I have a side project that I'm working on for a friend as well. Installing Savvy GTS, UCF transfer case skid, 1.25" BL and 1" MML, and Genright sliders. Also, a new hood because the last one came up and smashed the windshield on the highway one day. Bottom line, it should cook me up enough extra cash to afford some of these. http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Wrang...der-p/2214.htm

Also gonna pick up a set of their rockers and matching rear flares. Needless to say I'm pumped. Pix forthcoming of the side project Jeep. It's a fun rig, so it may interest some people.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #95
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
...Bottom line, it should cook me up enough extra cash to afford some of these. http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Wrang...der-p/2214.htm
Just caught up on this...great looking rig!! I absolutely LOVE my Metalcloak fenders...great choice

I would offer this to you though... Aside from just looking badass, why do you want the Metalcloaks? I'f you're already having to limit your front uptravel due to clearance issues (i.e. your front truss hitting your oil pan)...the new fenders won't gain you anything other than looks. Again, I love mine and would buy them again in a heartbeat... but I don't have the clearance issues.

Great piece of kit to have...but a fair amount of coin to drop if you can't really make use of all the benefits of having them. Just my $0.02.

As for your nervous spotter from Moab, I ran into ta similar issue with my spotter/co-pilot on the Rubicon (A.K.A. my 70yr old dad ). Took a little coaxing to get him to use "Driver" and "Passenger" commands instead of "Left" and "Right" but once he took hold of those, things went a little more smoothly. FWIW

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #96
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1driver View Post
Just caught up on this...great looking rig!! I absolutely LOVE my Metalcloak fenders...great choice

I would offer this to you though... Aside from just looking badass, why do you want the Metalcloaks? I'f you're already having to limit your front uptravel due to clearance issues (i.e. your front truss hitting your oil pan)...the new fenders won't gain you anything other than looks. Again, I love mine and would buy them again in a heartbeat... but I don't have the clearance issues.

Great piece of kit to have...but a fair amount of coin to drop if you can't really make use of all the benefits of having them. Just my $0.02.

As for your nervous spotter from Moab, I ran into ta similar issue with my spotter/co-pilot on the Rubicon (A.K.A. my 70yr old dad ). Took a little coaxing to get him to use "Driver" and "Passenger" commands instead of "Left" and "Right" but once he took hold of those, things went a little more smoothly. FWIW
All concerns I've had to work out recently actually! Now that I've adjusted the coilovers my suspension is finally dailed in. So fortunately I can take that out of the equation. However, my flares still rub when articulated both in the front and in the rear. My bumpstops are correct, and I'm not damaging anything underneath... Anymore... So I'd like to not worry about ripping the flares of off. Metalcloaks will, of course, facilitate that. Definitely a big part of it is the looks though.

Also, as I go down the road and retire this Jeep from DD I'd like to snag 37s. Regear, Vanco big brake, and if I have the Metalcloaks all around the swap should be much simpler as I've worked it out in my head so far. So really it's a combination looks, immediate need, and future need.

Haha that video still makes me laugh of him jumping. He's an excellent spotter but it was our first day in Moab and I think we all were getting used to being back there. Classic stuff though.
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #97
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Installed the Savvy GTS and JKS 1.25" body lift last night on the buddy's rig. Unable to take pictures afterward as it was completely dark by the time I was done, but I have to head over to paint the UCF skid tonight so I'll snag some. Hope to have the whole process finished up before the weekend, minus the hood which is gone for painting. Then money in the pocket! Woo hoo!
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #98
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Moab trip planned for fall break in October! Need to figure out how support my spare tire and tools. Last time I just stuck it in the back. Would like to make something out of wood to sit the tire up above the wheel wells inside the cab with space underneath for supplies. Has anybody done this already? Honestly, I haven't even looked yet, but if you've done it that would be very cool to see so that I can get good ideas!
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #99
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Saw a guy that built a wood deck for the back of his TJ in the "What Did You do to Your TJ Today Thread" a few ays ago... not the most elegant solution in the world, but definitely an inexpensive one.

Not sure how he posted the pics...and can't link them, but here's a link to the page where he posted. If nothing else, maybe it will give you an idea..HTH.

Good Luck!!

What Did You do...

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #100
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1driver View Post
Saw a guy that built a wood deck for the back of his TJ in the "What Did You do to Your TJ Today Thread" a few ays ago... not the most elegant solution in the world, but definitely an inexpensive one.

Not sure how he posted the pics...and can't link them, but here's a link to the page where he posted. If nothing else, maybe it will give you an idea..HTH.

Good Luck!!

What Did You do...
Fantastic, I'll have to go check it out. My dad installed carpet for a living so I figured that he'd be able to point me in the right direction on how to cover the wood, should I go that route. Really I'm just looking for a sturdy platform to mount the tire on, but still have space organized underneath for gear. I'm wondering if there would be a way of securing everything down using ratchet straps? I just need to climb in the back of my rig and see where there are spots to attach to.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #101
MorganDan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work
MorganDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #102
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganDan View Post
Nice work
Thanks! I think my wife is wondering when I'll finally be content with it.
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #103
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Finally finishing up that Jeep project that I was working on. Just a few "in progress" photos for fun.

Beat up hood. Lock your latches if you plan on driving on the highway!

The rig's somewhat beginning shot. It's definitely a toy, not a DD. I changed the oil last night and it was blacker than any I've ever seen. Probably has 15-20k miles on it.

Gen-Right Rock Sliders going in place.

Will post pictures of the tummy tuck and UCF skid I suppose. I never seem to get over there to work on it in any good lighting for pictures. Fun to work on though, that's for sure!
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #104
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the Rubi! I'll be watching this new "winter therapy" unfold
"It is in my opinion that owning a jeep must be like raising a rebellious teenager: the more you try and love it and nurture it and get nice things for it, the more it says "screw you!! I'm doing drugs and drinking because I hate you!!!" And your stuck taking it to the hospital :("

Labor of Love- my son's Jeep build
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/labor-love-1534044/[/url]

My build thread- Littlebee
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/littlebee-1568478/[/url]
Flyboy161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #105
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy161 View Post
Nice job on the Rubi! I'll be watching this new "winter therapy" unfold
Thanks a lot! I'm very happy/proud of the way it's all turned out. Haha I definitely agree with the winter therapy term. Couldn't agree more! I'm just disappointed that metalcloak appears to not be running a Labor Day sale... Looks like I'm waiting until thanksgiving to order my fenders and sliders.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.