Project Ruby Re-do - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Ruby Re-do

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #46
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I cant wait to get the jeep back out. Its just not warming up or it wont stop raining.

Unread 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #47
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tell me abt it! 70 degrees this weekend though, I think the doors will be coming off!
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #48
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So for as long as I've owned my Jeep I've had problems with it pulling to the left. Especially under acceleration. The new lift went on and it decreased the pull slightly... But now it's back and as strong as ever. I have to turn the wheel 15 or 20 degrees to the right to get it to run straight now. Not only is it annoying, but it can be potentially dangerous as it makes me way more unstable on the freeway.

Two things to check... First of all, could it be that because I have a dropped pitman arm it is causing the steering to be out of whack? I wasn't aware that this torque steer was a symptom of the wrong pitman arm, I'm just spitballing.
Secondly... I am going to check tonight to see if my front axle is not centered under the rig. It is possible that because I re-used the old track bar from the 6 inch lift that I'm not centered. Thus causing the pull? Anybody else have any fixes?? I've looked at about 7 threads and all of them just tell me to adjust caster... That ain't the issue. Neither are my tires as I balance them more often than I really should.
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #49
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also considered extending the lower control arm on the driver's side about 1/8" to compensate for the pull. The steering as I envision it is designed to pull a little and my mechanic friend has told me repeatedly that I should just live with the pull... This is unacceptable to me, so I think that extending the lower control arm would help. And thoughts as to why this would be bad?? Uneven tire wear possible?
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #50
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Its the drop pitman arm. Your angles are not correct between the track bar and the the drag link. I just did the Fat bobs track bar relocation bracket on my jeep and it dropped it down just a tiny bit to center the axle under the jeep. Just that little bit of angle change is giving me similar symptoms. I will bet if you got a stock pitman arm on there you wouldnt feel the pull anymore. It will also give you bump steer. When you hit a nice dip in the road while driving at a good speed it probably pulls the jeep in the opposite direction slightly.

Recommended fixes are a stock pitman arm, or if you want to get crazy I have seen systems to adjust the angle of the track bar by putting in a bracket that has multiple mounting points on the drivers side.
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #51
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I have noticed bumpsteer, though it decreased with the new lift and I've lived with it, I always thought that it had something to do with the pitman. Any ideas where to pick up a cheap stock pitman? I haven't even searched so I'm sure I could find the answer to my own question in about 10 seconds...
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #52
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt pitman arms are very expensive. You can always hit up KSL, maybe you will find one.
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #53
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rock Auto has stock pitman arms for $40 I believe. I found one for $5 on Craigslist though, might want to try CL first since guys are always getting rid of them.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #54
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

KSL and Craigs are both good ideas! Also... I think I pulled the trigger on a new rear bumper today! Found a Savvy aluminum for sale used. We'll see if he's willing to wait until Friday when I get paid. If so, I'll be able to finally get rid of the Smitty stuff for good!
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #55
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

"Operation Moab Ready" Update

Lots of little things going on this last weekend. First... Got me a new Savvy rear bumper! It was a pretty good deal used, with only a thousand miles the ad said. Since I already have a potential buyer for my old tire carrier/bumper combo I decided to pull the trigger.

Finally fixed my rear spring issue. They were so bowed that I couldn't fit any bumpstops into them. Grabbed some Ballistic Fab brackets for $40 and a friend helped me weld them on. Now I've got Teraflex bumpstops on the way to go in tomorrow night. Leaving for Moab Wednesday morning so hopefully everything is done in time. I'm sure it will work out.

Oh and I also adjusted my anti-rock because of the lost lift height. The links were contacting my grill just barely and bent a little bit of the sheet metal. Nothing major, not even noticeable. But it was still nice to fix. Jeep rides like a dream with the new spring pads in the rear, and the coilovers in the front dialed in! Couldn't be more pleased.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #56
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am heading down friday.
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #57
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
I am heading down friday.
Right on, I'll see ya down there! What trails are you gonna run??
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #58
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure, I have done all of the memorable challenging trails multiple times. I think this weekend is going to be more of a rubber necking trail type of weekend.
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #59
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
Not sure, I have done all of the memorable challenging trails multiple times. I think this weekend is going to be more of a rubber necking trail type of weekend.
I hear ya there. Metal Masher is the only one we're doing that we haven't been on before. From the pictures it looks like it's gonna be awesome though!
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #60
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Its quite mild. You can make it as challenging as you want though. You can do Rock Chucker and some serious obstacles that are off to the side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.