Project Ruby Re-do - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Ruby Re-do

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #31
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and say you've welded a couple of times before this.
Wish I could take credit! Maybe one day I'll have enough practice to look like that. My friend is a professional welder. He works a lot on decorative fencing and many other fancy projects. Needless to say we didn't have to clean up a single weld he did. Sure makes life easy!!

LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #32
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Keep getting de-railed this week because of school. So back on track!

With everything for the suspension completed it was time to dial everything in. In order to really set the pinion, establish wheelbase, and set caster etc we needed to get the UCF original high clearance skid plate installed. While my buddy finished up painting a few spots on the frame I set to work cutting the four corners to clearance the new long arm brackets.

Measuring and marking the metal that would have to go.

Almost final cuts

I wasn't really happy with the amount of material I had to cut away to make this skid work. I suppose that is the price you pay for a long arm setup.

Also had to grind on the mount to get the LoPro to work. Pretty standard stuff, we've seen this on other threads before, but here it is.

Tried to bolt it up into place and.... No dice! We were a good 2 inches away. Now mind you, it was 2 am and we were spent. Upon reflection we should have just hung it up for the night and called it good. As it was we tried banging on the tub a bit to get it to fit. Clearanced a good half inch because the t-case was contacting. Still couldn't get it to clear so at 3 am we called it a night.

Next day we started working on the skid again. Found out that it was contacting in two more locations. The night before we had thought that it might not work at all without a body lift, but we started to get smart and lift the skid in place with a floor jack so we could really look at the clearancing issues. After another 45 minutes of pounding and shifting...

Slammed the rear axle in and started getting everything worked out with the links.

Bilstein shocks

Then problem #2...

Rear arms contacted the exhaust. So we pulled it and knew we needed a new exhaust. Though this was a bit of a letdown it was also semi-expected.

Relocated pumps for the lockers. Now that they're on I'm not exactly sure I like the location. What does everybody else think? Too exposed?

Jeep on its own weight!

Unread 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Drove it for the first time and there was definitely an issue. Pinion angle wasn't set up correctly... Had some serious vibrations and there was some grinding going on. We tried to adjust the angle and I drove it for a few days. However, I finally conceded that I needed a CV shaft. Went with the Tom Woods for two reasons; 1. it's a local company in Utah and I like supporting local businesses and 2. I've always heard good things.

Installed new shaft

I found out that day that the previous lift that was installed needed a CV driveshaft too... With the Tom Woods it was a completely new vehicle!! No vibrations of any kind, the shifter used to shake and no longer did it felt way more solid. I couldn't be more pleased!!
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #34
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That basically brings us up to current. Permanently installed the shock reservoirs. I decided since I didn't have a ton of length to drill directly into the shock towers and mount them using the standard clamps. Used the rubber bushings that came with them and cut off the interior side to make it look cleaner and to guarantee no contact with the shock body.

Also I installed new springs of the 150 10 inch and 250 12 inch variety. From the first pictures you may notice it sits up a bit in the front. The fact is the springs that were recommended from poly performance were just too stiff. Dropped down and they're perfect. May revalve the shocks for a stiffer ride, but it still rides really well and for now I'm happy.

Belly clearance

Really crappy picture, but it's at roughly 18.5 inches at the skid

I'm especially pleased with this as I'm only running 4 inches of lift, and I didn't need any body lift. I'm at 25 inches dead on to the rockers both at the front and the rear. I couldn't be happier with the height!
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #35
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also had a shop install a new muffler and exhaust. Went with an aluminum 2.5 inch exhaust with the magnaflow muffler that they normally put on. Would've loved mandrel bent tube, but I'm overshot my budget with the driveshaft so I don't get everything I want.

Nice and shiny!!
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

QUESTION

Does anybody have any experience getting around a three link front suspension with the UCF engine skid? I really don't want to scrap the idea of the engine skid because I already have a dent in my header and a dent in my oil pan. Here's the issue I'm running into here.

In the foreground is the upper link for my suspension. On the top of that is the black mount for the UCF skid. I tried to take the picture at a straight line showing where the arm would have to come down from the mount and go through the link. Am I just going to have a make a bracket that extends closer to the engine to make it work? Looking at it I may then have to shorten the arm a bit to keep the skid hanging down level on both sides of the engine if I do that. I'm really surprised nobody has run in to this issue before. It's probably because everybody else planned better than me and didn't just jump into a project like a bonehead! Hopefully there's someone out there who's already come up with a solution.
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #37
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I have a new deadline to finish a few random projects! Headed to Moab on May 1st-4th. My family tries to go once or twice a year and this time I said screw it and made sure to take all 3 days off of work so I could be there the whole time. We've gone probably a dozen times the last 7 or 8 years and have run a ton of the trails. So I'm looking for opinions of trails that are NOT the routine. We've done Hell's Revenge and Fins probably 4 times a piece... Here's my thoughts so far:

Day 1: Travel early morning, so an afternoon trail with two rigs
Poison Spider?

Day 2: 3 or 4 rigs, our full group
Elephant Hill if I can convince everybody to drive that far.

Day 3:
Metal Masher. I've done Steel Bender and Cliff Hanger, so I feel like this would complete the set. How hardcore is it? About the same as Steel Bender and Cliff Hanger from what I've read, but from those who've actually done it is it bumpy and rough the whole day? Fun obstacles? Scary obstacles?

Day 4: 3 hr drive home after the trail.
Totally up in the air! I've considered 7 Mile Rim as its one of my favorites, but its really long and as we'll be driving that day it turns me off of that. Possibility of swapping days 3 and 4 since I believe Metal Masher will be a shorter trail. However... Any other trails that would be fun?

Thanks for the input, whoever is reading!

Project list for Moab
1. Finalize bumpstops. I don't think I'll have much issue, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't want to bust a shock/mount and I don't want to tear up my fender flares. I'm basically only concerned about the rears. But I think I need about 5 inches of total bump as the PO never installed bumpstops on the 6 inch lift he did.
2. Remove tire carrier from rear bumper. I don't like the weight back there. I want to move the tire into the passenger compartment over the rear axle, which brings me to...
3. Construct wooden box to cover amps and fit under rear seat if possible. I want a shallow wooden box to cover my amps so that when the back seat is out ( which it is most of the time unless I'm taking a bunch of people wheeling), I can lay my spare tire down on top of it, tie it down, and still not have a chance of damaging of the electronics. Anybody done anything like this? Is it even possible? I know the back end of my seat has about a 3 or 4 inch clearance, and that tapers towards the front of the seat. Any links to any ideas would be awesome!
Also there is the problem of cooling. I picked up a free computer fan that I plan to run to the remote wire from one of the amps. Will this draw too much power and blow up the fan? It can ground to the same location as the amp, so I'm not worried there. Just worried about the current. If necessary I will put two computer fans in the box to make sure the amps stay nice and cool. Any problems that I'm overlooking?
4. Install engine skid plate. I think I'm going to come up with a one inch bracket to extend towards the engine. This will get the arm that supports the skid away from the upper suspension link. Not my favorite idea and I'm still slightly pissed that it didn't bolt right in... But that's just part of the deal right? Not everything will work perfectly all the time.
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #38
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

those are going to be some pretty easy trails for your rig. But i am sure you will have a good time.
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
those are going to be some pretty easy trails for your rig. But i am sure you will have a good time.
That's good, I hope so! I've done Elephant Hill and Poison Spider before so I know what to expect there which is always comforting. And it's good to hear Metal will be easy too, as mine is the most capable rig of those going. Everybody else has lockers front and rear and 33s, but I'm definitely the tallest. Any other recommendations though?
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #40
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
That's good, I hope so! I've done Elephant Hill and Poison Spider before so I know what to expect there which is always comforting. And it's good to hear Metal will be easy too, as mine is the most capable rig of those going. Everybody else has lockers front and rear and 33s, but I'm definitely the tallest. Any other recommendations though?
Most capable rig until I show up.
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #41
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Most capable rig until I show up.
Well I don't have a wicked awesome hand throttle.
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #42
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

nice rig.

be sure to post up some pics and any vids you take at moab.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #43
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
nice rig.

be sure to post up some pics and any vids you take at moab.

stratton.
Definitely will be taking lots of pictures and videos! T-2 weeks! Really pumped to get out there. Unfortunately I'm having some issues with my bumpstops. I moved my axle back and did not relocate my spring perch, mostly because I ran out of time. Because of this my pad and bumpstops don't line up. I'll need to find a different location to bump to. Anybody seen any good setups?
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #44
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got out to actually test the new suspension set up. Nothing too major as far as the trail was concerned, but I still found a big hole to drop in to. Sucker flexes amazing! Unfortunately, I think I need to relocate my rear spring perches. I've been looking at the bolt on kit from TNT because it is so simple and I don't have to weld it... But they said that I'll raise an inch to and inch and a half if I do any relocating in the rear... Is this true of any kit I would get, as they claim, or is it just because of their design?
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #45
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thought I'd post a picture of the first flex of the new suspension. Low quality cause of a cell phone camera, but I think it gets the job done.

Now I just have to adjust the anti-rock into the correct hole. It was in the middle hole during this trip because we were rushed and I didn't have time to set it one hole farther out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.