Project Ruby Re-do - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Ruby Re-do

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 02-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Project Ruby Re-do

Been wanting to document my build for a long time now, and have never felt like I had enough cool things worth mentioning. But now I've actually got some extra cash, and with a wedding coming in 5 months I need get the Jeep to a place where I don't have to do any major modifications for the next 3-5 yrs. It also helps that I technically have no wife yet. She constantly reminds me I don't need to ask her permission yet if it's ok to spend money on the Jeep.

Baseline:
Starting with a 2006 TJ Rubicon that I bought in July of 2011. Started out with ~34,000 miles on the ticker. I paid $18,000 for it, which in hindsight was too much.

Earliest picture I have of it. Gotta love the smiley faces.

After this picture was taken I got sick of looking at the Smittybilt bumper and pointless fog lights, so I found a local stock bumper and slapped it on. Also got a no-name 1-ton steering kit that was a mistake...

Fortunately for me though, I got slammed into by a college freshman looking to make it into a mcdonalds parking lot just before Christmas. After 6 weeks of waiting for the shop to get all the parts and slap em on I now have a complete new front housing, two new knuckles, a new track bar and Currie steering. And I didn't have to pay a dime.

Also picked up this little beauty with the money left over.

Wish the girl was as easy to get as the ring was to pay for. But lucky for me, she said yes.

The specs as it stands today:
2006 TJ Rubicon
46,XXX Miles
6 Speed Manual tranny
35 inch Cooper SSTs
Mickey Thompson 15 inch sidebiters
Bushwacker 6 inch pocket fender flares
Rough Country full radius long arm kit
6 inch coil lift
Front Anti-rock
Currie Megabeef steering
Upgraded stereo With 4 alpine speakers, 10 inch sub in the back, Kenwood receiver
Smittybilt nasty rear bumper w/Spare tire rattler
HID headlight kit capable of pissing off every oncoming car ever

Planned Mods for the next month:
Clayton Pro Series Long arm Upgrade Kit w/ 3 link front w/ bridge arrived
Fox 10 inch coilovers front shocks arrived using Poly Performance shock towers arrived
Bilstein 10 inch rear shocks arrived
Metalcloak dual rate 3.5 rear springs arrived
alpine mono amp for sub installed so that I can hook my dash speakers up to my 4 channel amp to get all the power I should be getting out of them.

I am going to Moab the first week of April with my university's off-road club so I need to have all this buttoned up in the next ~40 days.

LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pics of the shocks that I already have for her.

Can't wait to get started! Going to do all the work myself minus the welding.
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also forgot to mention UCF skid with low pro mount and engine skid. Don't have pix, but will upload tomorrow. These parts having been sitting around my place for 8 months waiting to go on. Pumped to finally see it happening.
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pix of painted UCF skids. I used KBS coatings enamel and I can't say enough good things about it. Hard as nails, it's going to hold up great on the rocks! Only downside is a lot of prep time, and the painter (me) not being careful enough so it ran in 2 places. : The only warning I have when recommending to others is not to use it any place where the parts will see sunlight as the paint will fade. Now pix!

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got the Clayton kit ordered 5 minutes ago. Can't wait for it to come in! Also, a little side project that doesn't cost me any money.

Anybody guess what it's going to be?
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Limiting straps for the doors.
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Grab handle in progress ? Theres a bunch of us heading to Moab in June , and that sounds like its when your getting married . What better place for a honeymoon

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Grab handle in progress ? Theres a bunch of us heading to Moab in June , and that sounds like its when your getting married . What better place for a honeymoon
We have a winner! Gonna get the other half that wraps around the roll bar done soon. And then I've gotta order up some miniature D-Rings to tie it all together.

And she's already said that Moab is fine, but that she's gonna stay by the pool. So I think I'm sold, but I doubt there will be much Jeeping going on.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Received some goodies today.

New amp to power my sub.

Now I need to go pick up a power distribution block and some new wire. The previous owner just ran everything under the carpet and not very cleanly. So I will completely redo all of that to make it look more professional. Will work on that Saturday when I get some time.

And for the really exciting suspension re-build that I'm after:

Metalcloak dual rate 3.5 inch coils.

I was impressed with the packaging and really liked the look of them when I opened up the box.

However, I did find this:

Looks like they've been kicked around a bit in the warehouse... I'm not completely ready to call and yell at anybody as I know I can just spray some black rustoleum on there and call it good. But at the same time I paid a premium for these, both because they seem to claim they are the only type of spring on the market that is "dual rate" AND because everybody tends to say Metalcloak makes some really fantastic stuff. I'll send these photos in to them and hope that they can change their quality controls just a bit to keep these kinds of scuffs from appearing on others' items.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Spray them black and wheel them . I have sprayed my springs a few times over the last three years that they have been installed . Not sure how they are going to work , but they look a lot different than my OME's. I am interested as to what you think of the springs once you wheel them .

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Spray them black and wheel them . I have sprayed my springs a few times over the last three years that they have been installed . Not sure how they are going to work , but they look a lot different than my OME's. I am interested as to what you think of the springs once you wheel them .
Yeah that's what I'm going to do. No sense spending the cash to send them back over a little scratch.

I researched them a bit before I made the decision to buy. I hear only good things, and that they'll net me the 4 inches that I want. Only parts left to order are the shock towers, and coil over springs. Once I get them ordered I'll begin the teardown.
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just remember. Most springs are going to sit a half to an inch above where they will sit normally. Then they will sag down to their normal height. Usually after the first couple hundred miles.
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
Just remember. Most springs are going to sit a half to an inch above where they will sit normally. Then they will sag down to their normal height. Usually after the first couple hundred miles.
That was my big concern too, was the sag. But I've talked to several people who've said they're happy with the lift they're getting. I don't have a super heavy rear end, in fact I believe it's lighter than Jankoid's and he is getting all 4". I will be posting my results after the fact for sure.

For those paying attention who might be on the fence with these, Metalcloak has also informed me that if these springs don't work I'd be able to return them and go with something else. They'd allow return even if the springs have been mounted on a vehicle.
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Updated parts list:
Clayton Pro Series Long arm Upgrade Kit w/ 3 link front w/ bridge ordered
Fox 10 inch coilovers front shocks arrived using Poly Performance shock towers need to order
4 Coilover springs for the front coilovers Need to order
Bilstein 10 inch rear shocks arrived
Metalcloak dual rate 3.5 rear springs arrived
alpine mono amp for sub arrived
UCF Engine skid and Tranny skid arrived

Anybody see anything I'm missing? I shouldn't need a new track bar or bracket, and my driveshaft should be ok as well considering I'm dropping 2 inches.
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got my new amp installed. I am really pleased with the increased sound quality. Completely worth the money spent! Still need to zip-tie a few wires in the back, and I might build a box to stick them in so they don't slide around under the back seat. We'll see how quickly that happens.

I started with an MRP-M500 Alpine amp that I connected to my Boston Acoustics 10" Sub. I have Alpine speakers under the dash using Nalin MFG. speaker adaptors, and in the roll bar pods. My goal was to re-wire the underdash speakers to run through the 4-channel amp that was already installed so that I could actually hear them when the stereo was running.

Started by running a second power wire and fuse from the battery. I considered running a power distribution block, but with the limited space in the back of the TJ and my hope to be able to move the amps and sub around a bit when needed that didn't sound like a good option.

Twisted the wires to keep out any interference.

Re-ran both of the wires along the stock wiring.

Small cut in the firewall and several zip ties made the whole thing look great to me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.