Project Redrock Rampage - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Redrock Rampage

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #61
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

OK here are some pics of the back. We didn't take any pics during the actual process due to the fact that the back was kind of a pain in the @ss. I wasn't the lifts fault it was all the New England salt that the Cherokee had to endure before I moved out here. It seemed every bolt was frozen and had to be either heated up or cut out with a torch. The back is pretty simple and once the old parts were removed the new shackles, leafs, Ubolts, shocks and brake line went on fairly easy.

Brake Line

Leafs and Shocks

The Back Complete

The pile of old parts from the lift install

Next on the list was a new slip yoke eliminator, drive shaft and a set of Pro Comp Series 1089 rims which I ended up getting from a friend for free. They look pretty sweet but cost a fortune to buy tires for since they are 17" rims. I am not going to get into detail about putting in a SYE and shaft in this thread since there are already many threads concerning the installation. We also installed the transfer case skid plate which came with the kit. After all that was finished along with welding up a broken exhaust bracket and some other maintenance it was time to throw on the wheels and see what kind of stance we ended up with. The tires on the jeep in these pics are a set of old bald tires that came with the rims... I upgraded to a set of BFGs a little ways down the road. Alright time for the moment of truth! It looks pretty sweet up on the hoist...

And down on the ground "it may look like its still on the hoist in these pics but its actually sitting on the ground"

6.5" Rough Country Long Arm Lift on 33s - SYE / CV Drive Shaft - Wheel Spacers - adj. Track Bar - Sway Bar Discos - Surco Roof Rack With Hi Lift jack - ARB Front Bumper - Warn MX8000 Winch - Flowmaster Catback - Upgraded Stereo System - Hella Lights - Custom Seat Covers and Door Thresholds
Cliff333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #62
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And finally some shots out of the garage in my driveway!

One last pic for now after trying her out for the first time in some mud... notice one of the fender flares is torn off already guess whatís next on the list.
6.5" Rough Country Long Arm Lift on 33s - SYE / CV Drive Shaft - Wheel Spacers - adj. Track Bar - Sway Bar Discos - Surco Roof Rack With Hi Lift jack - ARB Front Bumper - Warn MX8000 Winch - Flowmaster Catback - Upgraded Stereo System - Hella Lights - Custom Seat Covers and Door Thresholds
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #63
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing like a little altitude
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #64
MCObray

Love your Jeep. I am looking for the look you had when you were back at 2inches and 31's. More updates.
MCObray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #65
kashoggio

nice xj , very clean

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkRed"]"Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion."[/COLOR][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2004-tj-rubicon-skittles-build-1152944/"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Lime"]MY JEEP BUILD [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=226258"]ITEMS FOR SALE [/url]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/polish-jeepers/"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]POLISH JEEPERS CLUB[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/url]
kashoggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #66
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Guys!
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #67
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #68
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well less than a month after the lift and everything was installed it was time for the first real test. It was Easter Jeep Safari time! Here is the list of the trails we ran that week...

Seven Mile Rim
Fins & Things
Flat Iron Mesa
Poison Spider Mesa
Hellís Revenge
Tip Toe Behind the Rocks
Potato Salad Hill

Let me just say now that the lift preformed really well. It rides quite nice on road for a lift that tall and flexes great off road. I picked up a set of 33" BF Goodrich All Terrain tires the week before EJS and had them mounted up. The only real issue I had was the lift flexed so much the tires rubbed really bad in places. I had wanted to trim the fenders but I was so busy at the time I just didn't manged to get it done before EJS. Regardless everything pretty much went great and I had a blast. Here are the pics!

Seven Mile Rim

Wipe Out Hill

One night right before EJS I decided to go try Potato Salad Hill for the first time. I was pretty excited when I made it up on the first try with only some tire spinning. Not bad for a Cherokee with open diffs!

Fins and Things

Flat Iron Mesa

Yeah I would say it has decent flex! As Idaho Jeep would say "the visual definition of stuffing a tire" LOL

Tilt A Whirl

Easter Egg Hill

Intimidator
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #69
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Poison Spider Mesa

Unread 01-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #70
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hell's Revenge

Hell's Gate "made it with only a little extra weigh on the right front" LOL

The Car Wash

Tip Over Challenge

Unread 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #71
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

One from Tip Toe Behind The Rocks

The second time that week that I tired Potato Salad Hill was right in the middle of one of the very busy EJS evenings. Someone wanted to stir things up so they covered the whole hill with vegetable oil the night before which dramatically decreased traction. I made it 9/10 of the way up... bounced it to much and snapped a rear U joint. I slipped off to far to one side and from there went careening down backwards and slammed into a Cherokee that was parked way to close to the bottom of the hill. Lucky he had just rolled and couple times that week and didn't care about a few more dents. I smashed up the rear tailgate and left quarter panel some. The damage is still there but I have yet to take pics of it. Here is one pic that someone ended up snapping. I believe that was right before the U Joint Snapped.

Stay tuned for the next trip with the Cherokee which was a 2000 mile journey all over the Southwest!
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #72
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good gravy. Great pictures man. I'm counting down the days to get back to Moab. You're lucky you live so close.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #73
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! Yeah I wish spring would get here... I am itchin to do some wheelin soon.
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #74
MCObray

Keep the pics coming. I so want to make it out to Moab someday.
MCObray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #75
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write-up Dax!!

I just stumbled upon this! Keep up the good work and I hope to see ya again soon! Take care of Big Steve when he gets out there for EJS 2011
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.