Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 99 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #1471
tinyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

No, just an increase on the amount of work the steering box would have to do to do the same job as before.
=.= I feel like an idiot....

Won't it increase the "strain" on the steering box?

Unread 10-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #1472
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Desert racing is the ONLY thing I can think of, but they run some variation of hydro don't they...
I'm trying to run a 200 mile desert race next year and that is where I got the idea from. Theory of better stabilization, but I don't kow anything about it. I thought I would get some feedback here while I research on my own.

Also, my web hosting company is supposed to be back online this week.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #1473
petit922

nice
petit922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #1474
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
I'm trying to run a 200 mile desert race next year and that is where I got the idea from. Theory of better stabilization, but I don't kow anything about it. I thought I would get some feedback here while I research on my own.

Also, my web hosting company is supposed to be back online this week.
what are the odds.

Seriously though, I bet a good hydro assist (PSC) will work better than this thing. The fluid force of the hydraulics is stronger than anything mechanical, and since fluids don't compress, the only wiggle you'll get out of the wheels is from play in the joints. For the terrain to cause unwanted wheel movement, it would have to overcome the hydraulic force of the steering pump.

may I suggest flickr for future photo hosting. It's free, and geared toward professionals, so practically never down.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #1475
gtxracer

1 ton TREs and hydro assist (like mike said). Do some real world endurance stress tests before you go on that 200 mile race, I think you're pushing the limits of the factory knuckles and inner Cs at that point. Reid knuckles and the new Poly Performance ball joints are probably in your future

How much are you going to polish those 44s before you get real axles? Have you thought of using smaller rubber for that race, maybe some 35s?
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #1476
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
1 ton TREs and hydro assist (like mike said). Do some real world endurance stress tests before you go on that 200 mile race, I think you're pushing the limits of the factory knuckles and inner Cs at that point. Reid knuckles and the new Poly Performance ball joints are probably in your future

How much are you going to polish those 44s before you get real axles? Have you thought of using smaller rubber for that race, maybe some 35s?
I'll have bigger axles eventually, and everything I'm doing right now should transfer over to the next pair of axles (suspension, bumps, etc). The Vanco kit, gusseted c's, shafts etc are getting me by, but if I'm going to be competitive, I'll have to have some bomb proof drivetrain upgrades. It's hard to spend the money when these keep working though.
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #1477
gtxracer

Generally, how long are the races you normally do? When you finally build this thing with some 1 tons and some power it will be much easier for you to romp on it!
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #1478
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You should supercharge the 4.0. Would be fitting of the build IMO.
Unread 10-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #1479
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
You should supercharge the 4.0. Would be fitting of the build IMO.
Funny you mention that, I feel the same way. The cost is fairly close to the same: Forced Induction or V8 swap or Axle swap.

Right now I'm focused on getting the suspension right because it will work with any of those options above. Front air bumps need mounting, rear reservoir shocks need mounting, rear air bumps need purchasing and mounting, then looking at some bypass shocks for the front. I'm pretty much out of room with these narrow axles though.

On a positive note, I ordered my new helmet today! DJ Safety SA2010 side breather:

Unread 10-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #1480
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

SLOPPY day at The Farm today .

I think it is safe to say Team REDLYNER stole the show...... and not in the most positive way . I convinced the wife to bring the tow vehicle (H3) back into the woods into all of the muck and well, let's just say that caked up M/Ts + plus off camber + 5000lbs = stuck Hummer.

She was spinning all four tires, slid sideways the down the bank into some gumbo. Tires spun until it burried. Fortunately there were only 100 people or so taking pictures and video, so I'm sure it will never show up. I threw a strap on one of it's tow hooks and my TJ spun it around for an easy exit. Sooooooo.... anyway.......

The jeep did better on the rocks than I had hoped considering how slick it was. Saw tons of friends and brought my 8 week old son out for his first rock crawling trip! He did awesome! No crying, just big eyed watching his ol' man beat on the jeep. He rode in the Hummer, I haven't built a mount for a child's yet in the TJ.

Here we go... all cleaned up and ready to roll:

Bleh:

Constant tire spin:

One of my favorite shots of the day:

My tire literally fit in the wheel/rim opening of the monster tire. The buggy before me slid his tire in and snapped a shaft.

Crawling over:

The wife and Brody:

I'll have some more shots later. Headed off to the annual Halloween party..... going to be a looong night
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #1481
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Even with all of that mud the ONLY mud I see on the jeep is inside of the wheel well I think it has a magical bubble around the jeep that won't allow mud to get on it.

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #1482
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What about the stuck Hummer pix???
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #1483
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard15 View Post
Even with all of that mud the ONLY mud I see on the jeep is inside of the wheel well I think it has a magical bubble around the jeep that won't allow mud to get on it.
I KNOW, it's the weirdest thing. That's literally the first thing I noticed.

Looks good Jay, nothing like a 60" monster tire to make a 37 look like a 31.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #1484
ActionJackson
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What about the h3 recovery vehicle sticker?
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #519
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #1485
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't take pics of the H3 because I was calf deep in mud trying to keep it from smashing into a tree. Everytime she engaged the throttle, it slid closer and closer to the trees. We got it out missing them by about 3".

A couple more shots:

This groove snapped more than one axle shaft Saturday. I got lucky...

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.