Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #121
banone403
2004 LJ Wrangler 

nice pics! im itching to get to uwharrie. definitely gonna be making a fall trip once i get done with the jeep. maybe ill see you there. how was daniel by the way? i remember last time the 2nd ledge wasnt even a ledge anymore.

banone403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #122
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like a great place to wheel. It would take me about 8 hrs to get there from my house. Maybe someday.

How do you like the stretch?

Any changes now that you have wheeled it? (binding,rubbing)
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #123
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jay, you started your stretch after me and you beat me to the finish line. Nice job and that was a sweet video you made of Moab! I give you a .

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #124
Capown
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OMG!! Yeah so far this is my fav. Jeep on here. I just spent like 2hrs reading every post, I want mine to be like yours when it grows up!!
Capown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #125
Bjeep2001
2001 TJ Wrangler 

WOW!!! Great looking rig.
Bjeep2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #126
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

WOW!!! i'm am amazed... i love this jeep/thread!
curt7088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #127
Grizz009
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterphfr1 View Post
Actually a pretty common method that is used to provide clearance for shocks or coilovers. Kits designed to outboard your shocks or allow longer length by "frenching" them into the frame are available from Clayton, Poly-Performance and Genright to name a few fabricators. This is a pretty common method of outboarding shocks and popular for those of us who need to keep our fuel tank in the stock location. The other alternative is to inboard the frame rails by cutting and relocating the rear frame rails inboard and use a fuel cell in the tub. Spend a little time over on Pirate, both are a very common mod over there and those guys are tougher on their Jeeps than I could ever hope to be.
I have seen other frames notched for shocks but additional support is added to re-enforce the frame... like (Google Image Result for http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/f/10925421/0811_4wd_06_z+2006_jeep_wrangler_unlimited+rear_sh ock_mount.jpg).. I tent to over build stuff... repairs in the trail suck... Still like the build, you have done a great job and hope to see more...
Grizz009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #128
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz009 View Post
I have seen other frames notched for shocks but additional support is added to re-enforce the frame... like (Google Image Result for http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/f/10925421/0811_4wd_06_z+2006_jeep_wrangler_unlimited+rear_sh ock_mount.jpg).. I tent to over build stuff... repairs in the trail suck... Still like the build, you have done a great job and hope to see more...
You can alway put in the Poly Pro coilover towers. Then plate and gusset to your hearts desire. I am currently outboard my shocks on my YJ. I will be added more plate to tie into the fishplate. I will also added a gusset on either side of the tower.

www.rockfrogs.org

Last edited by E_ROCK; 07-06-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Pushed submit too early
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #129
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ROCK View Post
Eric that is going to ride pretty stiff my friend.

Got the corners and sliders back. Still have a ton of work to do to get it all buttoned up though.
  • A little more trimming in the fender wells.
  • 1" holes to be drilled to access bottom bolts
  • Figure out how the tail gate bolts up to the new corners
  • Install lights
  • Bolt up sliders
  • Hide light wires
  • Paint remaining wheel well (around wires)
  • Bolt up the rear stinger mounts and stinger
  • Re-paint cross member/bumper from last off-road trip
  • Find a way to pin down the rear springs. Too much flex causes them to unseat.

I went ahead and siliconed the corners:

Started the mounting process:

The corners may need another round of wet sanding this weekend. But for now, I'm pretty pleased with how they are turning out.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #130
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Only Jay would wet sand *armor* because the finish didn't look good enough.

Looking good my friend.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #131
PurpleWave
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Where do you work and do you need any help
PurpleWave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #132
collegejeeper21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Amazing!!!

I just crawled this ENTIRE thread, and there is now a puddle of drool on my desk. This is the most BAD@$$ Jeep I have ever seen. I am working (very, very slowly) on turning my 04 TJ X into a rock crawling machine and your rig is providing me with a ton of inspiration... This is truly an amazing machine. Just curious... anything that you would do differently if you could go back and change it?

Thanks!
Justin
collegejeeper21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #133
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZJ View Post
Only Jay would wet sand *armor* because the finish didn't look good enough.

Looking good my friend.
Bust out a swiffer duster one time on the trail and all of the sudden I have a reputation....

-Chromelyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegejeeper21 View Post
This is truly an amazing machine. Just curious... anything that you would do differently if you could go back and change it?
Some stuff I would change, but lots of stuff I would keep the same. If I started over and knew I would go to 37"s (which I never even thought of when I bought it), I would:

Change: TNT Hi-line the front instead of standard tube fenders
Change: Done a belly up way earlier in the build
Change: Wheeled Moab a couple more times before moving back East
Change: Bought sliders with a tube step

Not really much else I would change. Most mods got wheeled a good bit and brought me over obstacles that I couldn't do before. Which led me to bigger obstacles that would deny me which would lead to selling old stuff and getting bigger and better parts. Vicious circle.

Lots of little projects left to get this stretch completed. Most of them people won't even notice, but I do them to try and get the cleanest setup I can.

So I picked up some stainless bolts for my sliders to match the corner armor bolts:

Then went ahead and finished installing the sliders:

Then I got started on the last little bit of trimming and painting:

Here you can see where my tire is hitting the tub- so that will require some trimming as well:

Everything cut and painted:

Next up was re-painting the mounts for the rear stinger and body match painting the spacers for the tail gate:

Setting up the tail gate:

I got the tail gate installed in the dark, so hopefully it didn't scratch up the new paint on the armor too bad. We'll see in the light tomorrow.

Still to go to complete Driver's side:
  • Paint gap inbetween slider and armor
  • Paint gas tank filler neck
  • Mount stinger bracket
  • Install LED brake light
  • Build a custom mount for my cb antenna

Passenger side has a good list too.
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #134
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How did you rig up those shock mounts? Are they strong enough, it looks like one good hit and they would bend or crumple. Maybe its just me though, sick jeep.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #135
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Back at work on this thing. There must be a dozen little side projects that will need to be done to "finish" this, but my goal is to get it back to drivable and wheelable, then worry about some of the last minute details.

Tail gate bolted back, perfect fit with the spacers. Mounted the rear stinger brackets and got the stinger back on, then painted the gas filler neck:

Next up was wiring the LED tail lights:

LED's installed! These are too bright to be legal in my opinion. I did the flasher adjustment, but it didn't work. I'm having some blinker issues that will have to be worked out. Any suggestions????

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.