Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 72 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #1066
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im installing my cell next week, I made a cheap mount the other day as well. Can't wait to see your mount installed

Unread 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #1067
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I headed over to Marsfab today to start on the fuel cell install. Chris does some of the best work around, and knowing that I needed some welding and leak free cutting done, I decided to get some help. He did the TIG welding on my cage earlier and his attention to detail is off the charts, so he's not a bad guy to have on the cellphone.

What we are starting with:

Pop, pop, pop and sliiiiide it out:

Chris getting ready to cut the sending unit hole out:

Chris taking 5 minutes cutting what would have taken me 45 minutes:

Re-using the stock rubber gasket. We are also using a paper/rubber gasket internally and RTV Black. The goal is zero fumes:

Welding in the bolt studs:

Getting set for the stock sending unit:

Ready to be tied down:

Next up will be plumbing the stainless lines and testing the engine. After that, I'll trailer it home, take the upper ring back off, get it painted, paint the Artec hold down pieces, then mount it up.

I also picked up some Energy Suspension bushings to put in between the mount and the tub for vibration dampening:
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #1068
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you going to mount it in the back of the Jeep?
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #1069
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Where are you going to mount it in the back of the Jeep?
Behind where the rear seat would go. I haven't run a rear seat in 5 years, but will be very soon......
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #1070
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That race vid was awesome! Kinda wish i had a juggy for that.....oh the dreams.
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #1071
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
That race vid was awesome! Kinda wish i had a juggy for that.....oh the dreams.
Thanks!! The video doesn't even come close to capturing the experience of two hours of solid adrenaline! There are three races in the fall that I am really looking at. I have no idea if I can get out to them yet (they are 5 to 10 hours away), but I am building as if I can make one.

Speaking of the build....

Mocked up the pump, Chris got the wires extended, put a little fuel in and cranked it up..... success! Fuel gauge worked, no sputtering, and I even drove it around the parking lot. Loaded it on the trailer and put in about 6 more gallons to make sure the fuel gauge would continue to rise. Everything was going great, made the 25 mile trip home to be met by my excited wife in the driveway. Peeled back the duster and fuel was all over the top of the tank!

Leaked out all of the bolt holes. The outer steel ring should sit flush with the tank, mine does not. The stock rubber gasket was lifting it up too high, so I removed it and will RTV the living daylights out of it tonight. The plastic on the fuel pump just barely covers the hole. I'm going to use the RTV on the lip of the pump, on the outer edge of the hole for the pump, circle each bolt, then put a nice layer on the bottom of the steel outer ring.

With the plastic pump sitting on top of the fuel cell, I don't see how the ring is supposed to sit flush, but Copperhead Fab assures me it is supposed to.

We shall see.....
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #1072
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ill remember that when i instal mine. Waiting to see pictures! I was going to have it behing my rear seat but some people said it could be unsafe. I guess now i will put it back there
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #1073
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Same way mine was leaking Jay. If the outer ring is not machined in a way to accept the stock pumps plastic lip and still sit flush then it will not be flush with the tank no matter what you do.

I made a gasket out of a rubberized fuel safe fiber gasket material I bought at the auto parts store. The material is maybe a hair thicker than the plastic lip on the fuel pump to take up that space that is left between the tank and outer ring. I cut it so it's outside diameter was the same as the outside diameter of the outer ring and so the inside diameter was the same as the outside diameter of the plastic lip on the stock fuel pump. Fuel pump sits within the gasket and then outer ring should clamp evenly on gasket material and plastic lip on the pump. Then RTV everything generously.

Also before sealing it up, make sure you throw some short sheet metal screws in the pump housing to keep it from over extending and separating while wheeling. The bottom of the pump does not reach the bottom of your new cell and if you hit hard or jar it too much it will separate leaving you stuck on the trail or out of the race. Happened to the mferrari when my cell and pump was in his jeep and if you search on pirate it's a common issue using the stock pump with the RCI cell.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #1074
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The way you have it with the stock o-ring might work if you can find a way to seal the bolt holes with either an internal gasket between the inner ring halves and cell or on the outside with gasket/o-rings and lots of RTV around the bolts.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #1075
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You will need this. No matter how much black rvt you use it will still leak.

Ask me how I know.
forumrunner_20110707_180400.jpg   forumrunner_20110707_180519.jpg  
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #1076
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up the Liquid Gasket Hendrix posted and some more gasket material. I should be able to get that sealed up tonight.

I went ahead and got some gloss black for the mount too, hopefully I can be sealed, installed and rolling by tomorrow PM.
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #1077
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Late night sealing this thing up.

Per Mike's suggestion, I made an outer gasket to go under the Copperhead fuel ring:

Also added the machine screws that were noted above:

Per James, I picked up the Liquid Gasket and went mad scientist with a combo of that, RTV Black, and the paper gasket.

Waiting on that to dry, I sprayed some primer on the Artec cell mount:

Added some new wire loom to clean it up a bit:

Left the seal and the mount to dry overnight, came out this morning to find a nice solid sealed pump (we hope):

Also hit the cell mount with a couple layers of gloss black:

Next up is dusting off the rear seat so I can measure were to drill the mounting holes. Once the holes are finished, I'll slide the mount in and should be good to go.

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #1078
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So your building this rig for when yall have kids so they can safely ride in the back right? I really should make a trip to charlotte and come see this thing. And maybe get some help wrenchin as well =)?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #1079
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like a nice seal man. It 'shouldn't' leak.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #1080
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hope it's sealed for you Jay You put Form-A-Gasket or RTV between the outer ring and the plastic lip right? I added a bead around the ID of the outer ring on mine just in case, just like you did on the OD of the outer ring.

It absolutely sucks to have it leak and pull it back apart again. I know... I'm still waiting to really test mine out offroad to make sure it really is leak free this time.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.