Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 70 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #1036
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 3,037
Looks great! I agree w/ gtx that the polly foam makes a good difference in the sound. Mostly helps with the lower end bass.

__________________
My 4.7L Stroker Build

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #1037
tucanbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 453
I put 3" or 3.5" speakers in the spots the dome lights go. mostly b/c I bought the pods empty to replace my 99 style sound bar, and i don't use lights.
__________________
99 TJ - SOLD
running jeep-less for now.
tucanbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #1038
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,570
New parts!

The rig is in a fine tuning stage, everything right now works in just about perfect harmony, and everyone knows we just can't have that .


Finally got the fuel cell ring- I went with Copperhead Offroad, hopefully it will mount flush. Also received all of my fittings and stainless fuel lines, which leaves one piece of the puzzle left..... the fuel cell holder. I've had an awesome opportunity to work with Artec Industries (big KOH sponsor) in helping to design a new RCI fuel cell mount. Nate at Artec has been great to work with and my prototype mount arrives on Tuesday.

While I can only only claim about 5% of the ingenuity, it was really cool to work through the designs and help with what will be the final product. I also get to do the photo work for their web display- again, just a real unique opportunity in the 4x4 world.

Fuel cell parts:




At the race in Auburn I posted on here about having some grinding noises (you could actually hear it in the video), turns out my Alloy USA rear ring and pinion were shot.


These come with a 3 year warranty to which I was 2 years into. So after a few conversations with Alloy, I shipped my busted gears off in exchange for a new set. Since the process was dragging on and I had events I wanted to go to, I went ahead and had another set installed at RIDES. So today a brand new set of Rubicon Dana 44 4.88 gears showed up. So these will probably be going up for sale here shortly (brand new, unopened box).



More parts were ordered today (I had been holding out in anticipation of this company's sale) and will be selling some armor off the rig in the next week or so. Some is spoken for already...






Lastly- we are headed out to The Flats rock park tomorrow! It's in Marion, NC, so if anyone local is interested, come on out! The rain this week will make the park NAAASSS-T. This time I charged the camera .
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #1039
JJeeper09
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,147
Jay, hold on to those 4.88s.. i will buy them from you. Pm me
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-do-right-1147962/"][B]Rubicon Build[/B][/URL]
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #1040
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,570
Rock Corp 4x4 put on a great event at The Flats today! It was slick and muddy on every trail, even the big boys were having to back down some of the climbs .

The front ARB wouldn't engage as soon as we backed the jeep off of the trailer, no clue as to why. I'll have to check it out later this week I suppose. That made an already difficult park even more challenging. Crazy enough, we actually 3 wheeled over some of the obstacles that have been extremely tough getting over in the past when all 4 wheels were pulling.

A few shots from the day:











REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #1041
JJeeper09
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,147
Looks like fun Jay, Was ARB line pinched or disconnected? Maybe it has a crack in it.
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-do-right-1147962/"][B]Rubicon Build[/B][/URL]
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #1042
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Looks like fun Jay, Was ARB line pinched or disconnected? Maybe it has a crack in it.
I inspected it and was pretty confident it wasn't the ARB line. Air is coming out of the bleeder hose and when I pinch it off the compressor still runs. It built up a good bit of pressure inside of the diff too, but still the pump wouldn't cut off and the locker wouldn't lock. The crazy thing is, it worked perfectly at The Farm two or three weeks ago.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #1043
JJeeper09
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,147
Very wierd. Are you planning on selling you tnt tubes still? If so, PM me a price.
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-do-right-1147962/"][B]Rubicon Build[/B][/URL]
JJeeper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #1044
Druttkay
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: LUSBY, Maryland
Posts: 37
Wow. Looks like fun at the Flats. Always nice to have a rig that can overcome terrain even while injured.
Druttkay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #1045
Optiskate
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 133
Awesome build man. I've seen a few pics over on Pirate, but never came over here and skimmed your build before today. Your rig is definitely on my top 5 favorite full bodied TJ's list and has been a little bit of an inspiration for whats in store for mine... now if only I could get more hours at work to collect the remainder of the parts that I still need.

How do you like those TnT rear corners? I'm planning 2.5" of lift, 38's, and about 5" of rear stretch. They look like they would accommodate such things, but you actually run them, do you think that they would provide enough room? I'm only looking for 4" of up travel. My rig is a trail rig, not a racer and would almost never see anything high speed aside from racing down the fire roads to the trail head. Also, I'm kind of curious how much you'd sell your set for if you sell them. I'm up in their air still as I'm waiting for Trail Worthy Fab's TJ stuff to hit the market before I make any decisions as far as armor goes.
__________________
-Brad
Optiskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #1046
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,570
Hey Brad, thanks! It has been a long build and has certainly evolved as my interests have changed in the sport. The build will continue steer towards going faster and my current wish list/mod list is all go fast parts. But, it still has to be daily driveable and that is what hopefuly will make it different from the other guys. If that makes any sence .


My 37" Rockers are nearly the size of 38"s (small 38"s anyway), and I am running almost 7" of stretch, but my tires scrub on the back end of the wheel well. With 5" of stretch, I think you would be perfect. I've ordered my new rear corners (I'm stretching it back a little more and didn't want to cut these) and mine are basically for sale now. I have a buyer in line, but if he decides against them, you can be next.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #1047
Optiskate
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Hey Brad, thanks! It has been a long build and has certainly evolved as my interests have changed in the sport. The build will continue steer towards going faster and my current wish list/mod list is all go fast parts. But, it still has to be daily driveable and that is what hopefuly will make it different from the other guys. If that makes any sence .


My 37" Rockers are nearly the size of 38"s (small 38"s anyway), and I am running almost 7" of stretch, but my tires scrub on the back end of the wheel well. With 5" of stretch, I think you would be perfect. I've ordered my new rear corners (I'm stretching it back a little more and didn't want to cut these) and mine are basically for sale now. I have a buyer in line, but if he decides against them, you can be next.
Sweet, that is exactly what I was hoping you'd say. I'm shooting for for a 101" wheel base, but I'm pushing my front forward 3" with a 5" rear.

I cant wait to see what direction your rig is headed. I think its pretty cool that you keep it streetable. Not many builds geared toward competing in any fashion are. Are you planning on going lighter? I'm sure that would help your 4.0L out immensely if you lightened your Jeep up. Hell, I bet it would help drive train longevity over all, especially with those D44's.
__________________
-Brad
Optiskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #1048
VTJeePTJ
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
I inspected it and was pretty confident it wasn't the ARB line. Air is coming out of the bleeder hose and when I pinch it off the compressor still runs. It built up a good bit of pressure inside of the diff too, but still the pump wouldn't cut off and the locker wouldn't lock. The crazy thing is, it worked perfectly at The Farm two or three weeks ago.
Was just checking out your build thread and I wanted to chime in to say that I had the exact same symptoms with my front ARB a couple months ago. Turned out to be damaged and leaking o rings in the seal housing on the locker itself. You have to pull the locker to replace them but it is a very straightforward job. Might be worth a look. Love your jeep by the way
__________________
2003 Jeep TJ- 4" AEV LA, 4.88/ARBs, Rubicrawler, 33's, Savvy Steering, Poison Spyder Armor, etc.
VTJeePTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #1049
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,570
A few more shots from Saturday-







Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiskate View Post
I think its pretty cool that you keep it streetable. Not many builds geared toward competing in any fashion are.

Are you planning on going lighter? I'm sure that would help your 4.0L out immensely if you lightened your Jeep up. Hell, I bet it would help drive train longevity over all, especially with those D44's.

Absolutely I want to go lighter! At the race I had all of my speakers in, my amp, my carpet, spare tools, hi-lift, spare tire, rear stinger, way more fuel than I needed, windshield, full glove box, steel hood, full TNT front tube fenders, full soft doors, duster, and wind jammer. Every single one of those items can be either eliminated or modded to be lighter. You are correct, it would make a HUGE difference in "getty up" and be much better on my Rubi axles.

One of my goals was to take a daily driveable "comfortable" rig and be competitive on the track. We may have been the only team to drive their rig from pre-running back to the hotel, then drive it back to the starting line the next morning to line up. Then after completing the event we drove to the gym and grocery store in the TJ the next day .

That being said, if I am going to get serious at all, I need to start finding ways to be lighter, faster, and more durable.

The short list looks like:
  • RCI fuel cell installed
  • New corners and sliders installed
  • Wheelbase moved back another 1"
  • Rear reservoir shocks
  • Front air bumps
  • Rear anti-rock
  • Rear air bumps
Then either TNT hi-line front fenders, or something custom, or a DC hi-line hood (or similar) with a tube support. Not sure what direction I'll go here, if any. Really, I need to stop goofing around and figure out how to get stronger axles. This class allows for unlimited types of axles and up to 40" tires.



Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJeePTJ View Post
ARB-
Turned out to be damaged and leaking o rings in the seal housing on the locker itself. You have to pull the locker to replace them but it is a very straightforward job.
I'll have to check it out, but that wouldn't surprise me to be the issue.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #1050
Optiskate
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post


Absolutely I want to go lighter! At the race I had all of my speakers in, my amp, my carpet, spare tools, hi-lift, spare tire, rear stinger, way more fuel than I needed, windshield, full glove box, steel hood, full TNT front tube fenders, full soft doors, duster, and wind jammer. Every single one of those items can be either eliminated or modded to be lighter. You are correct, it would make a HUGE difference in "getty up" and be much better on my Rubi axles.

One of my goals was to take a daily driveable "comfortable" rig and be competitive on the track. We may have been the only team to drive their rig from pre-running back to the hotel, then drive it back to the starting line the next morning to line up. Then after completing the event we drove to the gym and grocery store in the TJ the next day .

That being said, if I am going to get serious at all, I need to start finding ways to be lighter, faster, and more durable.

The short list looks like:
  • RCI fuel cell installed
  • New corners and sliders installed
  • Wheelbase moved back another 1"
  • Rear reservoir shocks
  • Front air bumps
  • Rear anti-rock
  • Rear air bumps
Then either TNT hi-line front fenders, or something custom, or a DC hi-line hood (or similar) with a tube support. Not sure what direction I'll go here, if any. Really, I need to stop goofing around and figure out how to get stronger axles. This class allows for unlimited types of axles and up to 40" tires.
Eliminating your spare, your rear stinger, rear seat (probably already done), centering your weight (ie fuel cell toward the back of the front seats), going with all aluminum armor and skids, aluminum links, eliminating your windshield, and taking out all your spares and niceties would go a long way toward making you faster. Even for a trail only rig, it would make a huge difference in the balance and feel of the vehicle. I'd be half tempted to sell off half my parts pile to go lighter, but I'm just to lazy. lol Why do you plan on going with remote res shocks as opposed to running coil overs? Is there a rule prohibiting you from notching the frame to fit them? What engine mods are you allowed to do? Stroking your 4.0L could be a good way to add some go power if its allowed. Also, have you considered running RCV's up front? I did notice you had some front shaft breakage though out your thread. All this racing talking is starting to sound really expensive.
__________________
-Brad
Optiskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.