Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1M views 7K replies 494 participants last post by  MO2500 
#1 ·
Project REDLYNER: Ultra4 Race Jeep Driven Daily...

EDIT: VillagePhotos has crashed, taken their customers money and lost all of their pictures. This means roughly 1,000 pictures in this thread are now dead links. I switched to a new server and pictures start back on page 99. SORRY!!

Pics start back:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-redlyner-rock-crawler-driven-daily-1046789/index99.html

This is way late in the game to start a build thread, so it is not a from scratch build.

I'll try to give a little back ground on the jeep and the build so far-

Number one, I have one of the most understanding wives out there. Not only does she support most of the mods, but she talks me into higher quality parts when I want to normally go cheap.

Number two, I bought this TJ when I lived in Colorado and immediately got addicted to rocks. But more importantly, addicted to the slick Rock in Moab. Every single mod on this rig was built or added with Moab trails in mind. So to keep this thread from being too wordy, I'll start throwing out some pics.

I bought the Jeep with a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift and 33"s. It had never been offroad according to the previous owner and after I inspected it, I was pretty convinced he was telling the truth. Not a spec of dirt in anything underneath the rig and not a scratch to be found. I think I got a deal.

This is a multi-stage build. Each stage represented taking to the next level of trail difficulty.

Pictures were not that great until like 2009 when we got a nice camera...

Here is a short recap of stage 1:

Day I brought it home back in 2006- I almost broke the Dana 35 because of the amount of Armor All on it:

Stage one was getting this thing so I could recover myself and be recovered. Also need to protect the easiest areas to damage- so the short list was:

Warn Rock Sliders
Warn Front Bumber
Warn Winch Mount
Tow Hooks
ARB Shackles
Warn M8000 Winch
Auburn Front Selectable Locker and install kit
Uniden CB
Kilby Gas Tank Skid

The 4 Wheel Parts show and local 4x4 board made it pretty easy to get some smoking deals:

And on went the first round of mods:

Bumper and winch:

Gas tank off, new tank on:

With the armor on, CB in and Auburn Locker front locker installed, it was time to go play in Moab:

See less See more
#2,109 ·
Those PSC negative flare defender fenders are a joke for being priced over $600. It's a sick looking design and I really like the looks of no flare / negative flare but that's hardly any material for the price they are asking.

I have to agree with Dayriesw's suggestion, I think those Sinister Fab fenders w/out flare look so sick!

#2,110 ·
Let me add my 2 cents.

Looking from the otherside. There is a **** ton of development and new tooling that had to go into the development of those nice looking "Aluminum" fenders. They have to make there money back somehow.

Jay, would you happen to remember what kind of fuel line you are using? I am planning on replacing the fuel line from the fuel rail all the way to the fuel cell on mine.

#2,112 ·
Let me add my 2 cents.

Looking from the otherside. There is a **** ton of development and new tooling that had to go into the development of those nice looking "Aluminum" fenders. They have to make there money back somehow.
Oh I totally agree and understand the cost factor of R&D, but it still seems rediculous to pay so much for so little material... and still retain the factory inner fender.

#2,116 ·
Next up for sale is my Poison Spyder Stinger and Warn winch mount. How about 45% off?

Quadratec has the Warn winch mount for $230, I'll do $130.

Poison Spyder sells the Trail Stinger for $210, I'll do $115.

*Does not include winch or fairlead.

:cheers2:

#2,120 ·
I'd love to get that stinger. How far are you from Greensboro? I'm in Roanoke, but Greensboro is about 2 1/2 hours away from where I'm at.. Think it might be possible to meet somewhere if that's close to you?

#2,126 ·
What about Statesville? :D

#2,129 ·
No Josh's is DOM cause we never had the intentions of that being a racer. It just so happened B class and other bodies opened up the class's.
My Teryx and Jim's RZR both have chromo cages. All the additions and repairs made to Travis's have been made out of chromo as well. Chromo is almost a pound lighter per foot and the average race cage has at least 80 ft in it

#2,131 ·
Went out and did some testing at a local track-

With half doors and soft top down:

On my Pitbulls, I was averaging around 4.5 to 5 seconds 0-to-30mph and around 16 to 16.5 seconds 0-to-60mph. I wanted to get a base to see if I could tell a difference with the lighter tires and lighter parts. It's not very scientific, but it was fun just flooring the jeep over and over again.

#2,132 ·
Darn near double and it has to be TIG welded. We'll say DOM would be 3.50 per foot, chromo would be around 5-7 a foot on average. Plus it comes from Pittsburg or Germany so you know it's good.

The chromo itself isn't lighter but it's much stronger. So .095 would be as strong as .120 and your fillers and inner bracing can be built with .083 instead of .120 or .095. And if you were to heat treat it correctly it would be almost twice as strong as DOM. If built correctly structurally and efficiently you can knock an easy 100 pounds off.

#2,135 ·
I just read everything that had pics. Awesome thread!! I'm just down the road from you in Columbia, SC. I just got my first jeep a couple months ago and it has brought me to this awesome world of off-road racing. If you still have anything left for sale let me know. I go up to charlotte quite a bit due to having friends in the area. Oh, the wakeboarding/jeep thing is an awesome idea, i mean i dont wake board but I'm a hell of a beer drinking boat rider!!

#2,136 ·
I just read everything that had pics. Awesome thread!! I'm just down the road from you in Columbia, SC. I just got my first jeep a couple months ago and it has brought me to this awesome world of off-road racing. If you still have anything left for sale let me know. I go up to charlotte quite a bit due to having friends in the area. Oh, the wakeboarding/jeep thing is an awesome idea, i mean i dont wake board but I'm a hell of a beer drinking boat rider!!
Thanks! I hate it Villagephotos screwed me and all of their customers over. It has cost me in more ways than just photos in this thread. As for wakeboarding, PM me anytime, we will wakeboarding pretty much every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from now until November :D.

Items for sale or that will be for sale:
  • 37" radial Pitbull Rockers
  • Warn Winch plate
  • Teraflex Belly Up
  • TNT front tube fenders (someone 1st in line)
  • Sniperfab rear comp corners (someone 1st in line)
  • Poison Spyder Custom Cage (I believe I have a 1st in line here too)
  • RCI Fuel Cell (someone 1st in line)
  • Custom Aluminum firewall

I totally forgot how much of a pain beadlocks were. :laugh:

New MTR/Ks arrived yesterday, so I started the breakdown and rebuild process. First up was cleaning the wheels since they were apart. I keep them pretty clean, but they needed some love:

Deertey:

So fresh and so clean clean:

Beadlock rings had taken a beating. It actually bothered me that I could se it in every picture, so I decided to grind down the rough edges and repaint:

I should be ashamed:

Hmm dee hmm hmm:

Just like Heidi Klum, once you go black:

17lbs of sweat later, one is finished :rofl:

Here are the facts:

37" Pitbull radial Rocker and Raceline wheel: 131lbs
37" MTR/K and Raceline wheel: 119lbs

So 12lbs gained per corner, I should feel that. With Pitbulls:
0-30mph: ~5 seconds
0-60mph: ~16 seconds
MPG: ~12.5 city/highway

#2,141 ·
New MTR/Ks are on and and the initial testing has begun!

Weight savings of 12 to 13lbs per corner.

MTR/K 0-30mph: 4 seconds
MTR/K 0-60mph: 11 seconds :eek:

That's 5 seconds faster! In 100 degree too!

UPS has dropped off more packages, but it's too hot to paint and work, so more updates tomorrow.

But for now:

#2,148 ·
I came from the auto racing world and there are guys who would pay thousands I dollars to save a pound or two on their wheels. I'm a big drinker of the light weight wheel = more speed koolaide.

I was shocked and completely pleased with the results so far. The jeep should be another 150lbs lighter by next weekend too. I'll keep the thread updated with the progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.