Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 396 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #5926
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Really? I had no idea.
I can have the torsion bar set so that the input steering effort is greatly reduced and put a small flow high pressure pump on it and you could spin it sitting still with a pencil without breaking it. It would be no fun on the trail or in parking lots, but it would turn the tires sitting still with no problems.

We go the other way to make them more enjoyable to drive at speed on the freeway and increase the "felt" or perceived steering effort. Has zero effect on how much power the system has to turn the tires, but makes them very much fun to drive at speed.

EDIT- Here's a link to an article that may help.

http://www.circletrack.com/chassiste...ering_systems/

Unread 08-02-2014, 04:09 AM   #5927
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
EDIT- Here's a link to an article that may help.

http://www.circletrack.com/chassiste...ering_systems/
That's very informative; thanks for posting it.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #5928
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
That's very informative; thanks for posting it.
I started ordering heavier feel gears about 2-3 years ago and it is now the only way they ship them unless you want it lighter for some reason.
Unread 08-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #5929
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I started ordering heavier feel gears about 2-3 years ago and it is now the only way they ship them unless you want it lighter for some reason.
I can see how people that have a good "feel" for a car in an on-track racing situation would be okay with a setup that offers lighter/less feedback, but that kind of arrangement doesn't seem to have a lot of benefit for general-purpose offroad use where "feeling" the resistance on the tires in different situations is vital...at least for me, that is. With that in mind, I'd personally prefer a more balanced system that puts enough feedback into my hands for me to know where the tires are and what's pushing on them without being overly stiff or mushy...so if the tire-turning effort and steering wheel input force can be so easily and widely separated then I see no reason to not set it up the way I want. I honestly didn't know that steering boxes - and I suppose the system as a whole - were so customizable.

Unread 08-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #5930
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
I can see how people that have a good "feel" for a car in an on-track racing situation would be okay with a setup that offers lighter/less feedback, but that kind of arrangement doesn't seem to have a lot of benefit for general-purpose offroad use where "feeling" the resistance on the tires in different situations is vital...at least for me, that is. With that in mind, I'd personally prefer a more balanced system that puts enough feedback into my hands for me to know where the tires are and what's pushing on them without being overly stiff or mushy...so if the tire-turning effort and steering wheel input force can be so easily and widely separated then I see no reason to not set it up the way I want. I honestly didn't know that steering boxes - and I suppose the system as a whole - were so customizable.
Same here. I am learning a lot, which is a good thing I think. However, the more I learn, the more I want to tweak ( spend money) lol
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #5931
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

can you adjust the hydro assist system or is it setup out of the box to have lighter/less feedback?? just asking because the only vehicle that i drove with HA was so easy to turn on pavement that it resulted in my being scared to drive it because it felt as though i could accidentally flip it over in a turn because the steering feedback was that light
duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #5932
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202 View Post
can you adjust the hydro assist system or is it setup out of the box to have lighter/less feedback?? just asking because the only vehicle that i drove with HA was so easy to turn on pavement that it resulted in my being scared to drive it because it felt as though i could accidentally flip it over in a turn because the steering feedback was that light
When I set them up with near identical parts to what you see in the pictures, other than the heavier feel that I specify on purpose, the rest of it is invisible. If it's not, I screwed up somewhere.
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #5933
tkfx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Red, after doing some google searches I kept seeing your name pop up asking the same questions. How did you go about extending your rear brake lines for your stretch?

Im going to be stretching my LJ a couple inches using the clayton kit and need to extend my hard brake line and add in another hard brake line mounted on the axle.
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #5934
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

No one is going to take me serious in Ultra4 if I can't establish and maintain a 37 degree gangsta lean on my hot laps. The problem is, when my seat is leaned way back and I've propped my fist on top of the steering wheel, I'm having a hard time getting through the rocks. Gangsta lean in the pits, no problem. Gangsta lean on Chocolate Thunder..... Problem. Am I the only driver having steering issues like this?

I decided to do what I do best..... copy the real racers so I can look more legit. I saw that Mike at OMS was making just a little too much progress on his rig, so in an effort to keep the competition down, I'm having him do some more beautification to the 4550.

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #5935
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
No one is going to take me serious in Ultra4 if I can't establish and maintain a 37 degree gangsta lean on my hot laps. The problem is, when my seat is leaned way back and I've propped my fist on top of the steering wheel, I'm having a hard time getting through the rocks. Gangsta lean in the pits, no problem. Gangsta lean on Chocolate Thunder..... Problem. Am I the only driver having steering issues like this?

You have to lean INTO chocolate thunder, just don't lean too hard. I was told to "mean mug" the left boulder as the gangster lean was initiated. I never got it down' fully either
Unread 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #5936
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver831 View Post

You have to lean INTO chocolate thunder, just don't lean too hard. I was told to "mean mug" the left boulder as the gangster lean was initiated. I never got it down' fully either
I haven't been there to try it, myself, but I have it on the best authority that throwing an "East Side!!" gesture as you approach is a sure path to victory on that particular section.

Jay, this may be a dumb question, but: how much bling are you displaying? You really don't want to be underblinged on Chocolate Thunder, you know...

Unread 08-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #5937
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfx View Post
Hey Red, after doing some google searches I kept seeing your name pop up asking the same questions. How did you go about extending your rear brake lines for your stretch?

Im going to be stretching my LJ a couple inches using the clayton kit and need to extend my hard brake line and add in another hard brake line mounted on the axle.
I stretched it 3 times, I ended up using extended stainless lines. I'll have to look again to see if there is anything else, I just don't remember at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I haven't been there to try it, myself, but I have it on the best authority that throwing an "East Side!!" gesture as you approach is a sure path to victory on that particular section.

Jay, this may be a dumb question, but: how much bling are you displaying? You really don't want to be underblinged on Chocolate Thunder, you know...

Bling display is at an all time high. When are you coming through Charlotte? We need to do some hot laps at my local bar. Several other jeep guys hit that place pretty frequently.

More work from the OMS shop-

Airbumps need to be moved due to some hardware rearranging-

Unread 08-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #5938
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Getting close! As always, Mike's communication has been awesome. We have spent hours on the phone going over different ideas for this project and a couple of others. Thanks for the updates OMS!

Unread 08-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #5939
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

woah, das some steering
Unread 08-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #5940
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like the double sheer on the tierod heims, still shoulda ried to raise the tierod higher. I know you got the spring em back version, but me as a simpleton thinks it's even better to not get it sprung in the first place. Last February that previous tierod did not live a happy life.

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.