Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 308 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #4606
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Kinda depends what you plan on doing with your Jeep, lot of offroad rock banging, go Pitbulls. Fair to a lot of street driving and a fair amount of offroading go MTR
I've been doing the MTR vs. PBR debate in my head for quite some time. I love everything about the Pitbulls, other than the weight (85 pounds for a 35/17). My main concern is how well my little 4 banger can spin such a heavy tire in the rocks...but damn do they ever look cool.

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #4607
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
I've been doing the MTR vs. PBR debate in my head for quite some time. I love everything about the Pitbulls, other than the weight (85 pounds for a 35/17). My main concern is how well my little 4 banger can spin such a heavy tire in the rocks...but damn do they ever look cool.
For my big Jeep I should have bought the 42" bias ply Pitbull rockers and I would have been happy. Bought the 39,5 Rockers and they are to small (37,5" fully inflated) Kinda hard to know what will work when you first build a Jeep from scratch. MTR's are true to size, my 40" MTR's measure 39.5" tall fully inflated, same diam as the 42"Pitbull Rockers. Again I would have been happy with those. Just originally thought the lil 4 popper wouldn't pull them, seems to do just fine with them
Unread 12-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #4608
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For my big Jeep I should have bought the 42" bias ply Pitbull rockers and I would have been happy. Bought the 39,5 Rockers and they are to small (37,5" fully inflated) Kinda hard to know what will work when you first build a Jeep from scratch. MTR's are true to size, my 40" MTR's measure 39.5" tall fully inflated, same diam as the 42"Pitbull Rockers. Again I would have been happy with those. Just originally thought the lil 4 popper wouldn't pull them, seems to do just fine with them
Sounds like the same issue I had with the Iroks, they were closer to a 35" tire than they were a 37" tire... So it's sounding like the PBR's are also going to be closer to a 35" tire as well... I heard that the radial PBR's run closer to their true advertised tire height but that was 1 post I read randomly somewhere and haven't ever heard it verified.

Seeing as Redlyner has ran both I'm curious about what he has to say about them.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #4609
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post

Sounds like the same issue I had with the Iroks, they were closer to a 35" tire than they were a 37" tire... So it's sounding like the PBR's are also going to be closer to a 35" tire as well... I heard that the radial PBR's run closer to their true advertised tire height but that was 1 post I read randomly somewhere and haven't ever heard it verified.

Seeing as Redlyner has ran both I'm curious about what he has to say about them.
Radial Pitbull rockers are true size, it is the bias that runs small. My bias 37" rockers are only 35.5" tall. A 37" radial is 37.25" if I remember correctly.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #4610
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Radial Pitbull rockers are true size, it is the bias that runs small. My bias 37" rockers are only 35.5" tall. A 37" radial is 37.25" if I remember correctly.
Thanks!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #4611
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

FWIW I have 39.5 bias Iroks and they measure somewhere between 39 and 39.5
jose_p_adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #4612
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

By the way if you go that route and want big shoes, look into 40" Nitto grappler MT's, read a thread on Pirate yesterday, seems like the 40" Nitto's have a very soft rubber compound and very strong sidewalls and all that happy for about 450 bucks a pop with free shipping.
Those might just be my next big tire. Much better price than a 40"MTR and supposedly much better sidewall strength.
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #4613
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

They're heavy as ****, though. I worked on a JK with 37" Nittos and they were ungodly heavy. Make my MTR's feel like 33's.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #4614
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The 40's are in a good price range, nice soft rubber compound and atleast 150 bucks less than a 40" MTR, tougher sidewall to boot, makes a good case for those. The story went that the soft rubber compound is only availabe in the 40" tire. Not quite a sticky but close.
For crawling in rocks a strong but heavy tire that sticks isn't a bad thing. Not many people do a lot of street driving on 40's so as far as that goes it isn't that much of a detractor. There's buggy people out there that put water and antifreeze in tires to get some weight in them.
Anyway this lil didddy is basically for 40" tires only.
MTR's aren't a bad tire, they just cut easier in the sidewall then they should, and they spring are leaks in the sidewall tire siping when you get carried away in the desert, you can ask Jay about that he had 2 flats, both in the sidewall siping, which is not a good spot to repair. Leaks in the are where the thread surface of the tire turns into the sidewall is a rotten area for a tire repair. Have had a heck of a time fixing my stickies
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #4615
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm traveling, sorry for just chiming in -

The MTR/Ks and RADIAL Rockers are virtually the same height: 37". But each Rocker is like 12lbs heavier, and that is significant rotating mass. I instantly felt the better acceleration..... But the trade off was the weaker sidewall. I never cut a Rocker and never worried about it, to Art's point, I did poke holes in two mtr/k's out in JV. I don't think that would have happened with Rockers or Toyos.

I switched to the mtr/k because I was running the Rubi 44 and was taking every step to reduce the stress- The acceleration was a bonus.

So the question is: would I trade the light and fast for heavy and tough???

I just don't know.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #4616
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
So the question is: would I trade the light and fast for heavy and tough???

I just don't know.
Thanks for clearing that up!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #4617
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jay if ya gonna do what you said you are gonna do, then something like this should cut down on time wasted on winching.
Have a winch line extension made out of synthetic rope that kinda looks like this

winch line extension by aartjestaartje, on Flickr

Give it a loop at the end that is about 6 feet in diameter, but that you can still oepn up with a shackle or a strong caribiner, so you can throw it over a rock like a lasso
Then have loops braided into it at about 5 feet apart length about 30 feet after the loop. That should work pretty well. This way you shouldn't have to spool out your winch line more than 5 feet or so, would save a fair amount of time. On average when you are stuck on a rock all you really winch is a few feet, to get unstuck. That make sense to you?
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #4618
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have a problem with you doing things to make winching easier, but better if you can just one shot everything so we don't have to stop and get out
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #4619
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

One shotting and acing tough sections takes prerunning Mikey, yet still oopsies happen and that time robbing activity comes into play. Seems last year lots a folks resorted to thast time robbing winching thing and wasted tons of time doing so. So Logic would dictate that winching will happen, that being a given make it something that wastes as little time as possible.
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #4620
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
One shotting and acing tough sections takes prerunning Mikey, yet still oopsies happen and that time robbing activity comes into play. Seems last year lots a folks resorted to thast time robbing winching thing and wasted tons of time doing so. So Logic would dictate that winching will happen, that being a given make it something that wastes as little time as possible.
I know, I was just taking a jab at Jay and expressing my dislike of running around pulling cable I would be shocked if there was an EMC competitor that didn't winch at least once the entire race, the trails are tough enough for the guys on 40s let alone us on 37s with very little Hammers trail experience.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.