Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 280 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #4186
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345

Your forgetting the illustrious codriver, master gardener and seriously good fab guy that had a helping hand in making your Jeep do what it did
Haha, this made me laugh! Thanks, Art!

Jay, definitely get the wheels and tires checked and balanced best you can. I didn't see anything wrong with the work done that would be causing DW if everything is tight. Might have to play with alignment next.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #4187
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, i don't think it would be in Team Redlyner spirit if you weren't down to the last day trying to get everything ready lol.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #4188
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
Well, i don't think it would be in Team Redlyner spirit if you weren't down to the last day trying to get everything ready lol.

I swear that I try for the exact opposite..... but history doesn't exactly help my case .
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #4189
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tire balance, caster and toe in. Steering dampener or hydro assist. I am sure they got everything nice and tight and no slob no where.
Spin the tires barely of the ground and check for wobbeling of the front tires.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #4190
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

ECGS has been trying to trouble shoot it for two days and haven't figured it out? That's surprising.....it ain't that tough.

Have the wife turn the wheel between 11 and 1 while you watch underneath. What's loose? Don't forget to rock the tires back and forth with the rig in gear to check the control arm ends.

What's caster? Toe-in about 1/8-3/16"?

That bastard should be rock solid. If you have full on DW with those components, it'll be something pretty obvious.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #4191
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
ECGS has been trying to trouble shoot it for two days and haven't figured it out? That's surprising.....it ain't that tough.

Have the wife turn the wheel between 11 and 1 while you watch underneath. What's loose? Don't forget to rock the tires back and forth with the rig in gear to check the control arm ends.

What's caster? Toe-in about 1/8-3/16"?

That bastard should be rock solid. If you have full on DW with those components, it'll be something pretty obvious.
ECGS doesn't have a high speed balancer. I really think it is in the wheels... Well, I really hope. We did the steering test, track bar, tie rod, drag link don't move a millimeter. Rock solid. There is some play in the shaft that comes straight out of the steering box, but I don't think that would cause it .

It's at Coulwood Tire & Auto now, hoping for a progress by noon. I will post up with some details.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #4192
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Steering box is not gonna be the main problem. But it could definitely play a part. I have encountered that problem before it induced a shimmy at speed. Which if anything else is bad. Could def add to the DW

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #4193
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is there any play inside the steering box? If there's anything more than a very tiny delay between the input (steering shaft) and output (pitman arm) then that isn't helping....but it likely isn't your root cause. The play in the steering shaft isn't helping but again, doubt that it's the root cause. Those tires would have to be seriously out of wack to be giving you such fits but I suppose it's possible.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #4194
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Is there any play inside the steering box? If there's anything more than a very tiny delay between the input (steering shaft) and output (pitman arm) then that isn't helping....but it likely isn't your root cause. The play in the steering shaft isn't helping but again, doubt that it's the root cause. Those tires would have to be seriously out of wack to be giving you such fits but I suppose it's possible.
So a few things about that:
  1. The steering box didn't just suddenly get loose over the last 7 days, it was like that before I did the swap and I had the jeep up to 75mph last Tuesday with old axle and old Racelines.
  2. When I personally mounted the MTR/Ks to the old Racelines, I had death wobble until they were balanced by Discount Tire (who will no longer touch my jeep )

Side note- the new brakes are unbelievably strong. I nearly embarrassed myself pulling the jeep into the parking spot at Coulwood locking up the tires just going from trailer to space.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #4195
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You really should take a 60-0 video once you get the tires balanced........
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #4196
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmmm... Tire shop called. Tires were out of balance, they got them in check and took it for a test drive. Got it up to 60 and it was smooth as silk. Turned around to head back to the shop and death wobble kicked in. The shop owner said it was his first DW experience and it was the most scared he's ever been in a vehicle. Not what I wanted to hear. They can't fit their alignment machine over the beadlocks, so he said he's out of options.

Question: if the track bar was slightly shorter than the drag link, would that contribute to DW?
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #4197
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Juat a thought, if the wheels are not hub centric, care needs to be taken while tightening the lug nuts to ensure the wheel centers. They should never be snugged and then torqued on the ground... only torque with no weight on them. And if you can, just run hub centric rings to avoid the problem all together. You probably know all that just throwing it out there.

Edit: the inconsistent nature eliminates mis aligned wheels on the hub.... it would happen every time.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #4198
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post

Question: if the track bar was slightly shorter than the drag link, would that contribute to DW?
No.

Something is loose. Now you have to find it. Even if the tires aren't perfectly balanced, it shouldn't matter. A good front end can handle poor balance.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #4199
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am open to ALL suggestions.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #4200
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I my experiences there are 3 factors that lead to DW.

1. Balance of tires
2. Loose bolts or worn part.
3. Poor alignment.

Did you ever add hydro assist?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.