Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 271 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #4051
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You are correct. Those are NOT the currie alum knuckles. Nor did I say they were. Those are the currie machined f-450 stuff

Blaines personal rig has the alum knuckles though

And the question is. Why mess with the "beefier" 05+. When the 99-04 have been proven time after time to be plenty strong and Within my knowledge have been no known failures

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #4052
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

Your axle came with the arm and you added the mount, right? I like that.

Drag link on top, tie rod on bottom right?

There you go Jay. That's perfect.
Yep, fordtechguru machined knuckles and arms. Tie-rod is on the bottom of the hi-steer arm and draglink on the side (but yes, on top of the TR).

It took 5 days of wheeling in Colorado and Moab before I hit my TR for the very first time on Helldorado. It's nice having it above the axle tube.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #4053
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
But the logical side of me took over and said it was going to cost far too much for what I can justify.
Blasphemy!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #4054
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Love the tow rig Jay. Its going to look real nice hooked to the 100K Jeep.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #4055
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Love the tow rig Jay. Its going to look real nice hooked to the 100K Jeep.

Had a great talk with Chase at East Coast Gear Supply yesterday. Each of our last three conversations have been over 30 minutes long, I'm sure when he sees my number on caller ID he looks at his calendar first because he knows I'll have a million questions .

We made some changes to the front axle direction- I am going with slugs instead of the manual Warn hubs, Chase also re-confirmed the steering design (same as the ones they roll out on their custom 60 builds), and most importantly, I'm switching from Trail Gear RA9 to a Spider9. The wife is much happier going with a name she recognizes .

Front Rubi 44 is sold pending funds minus the Vanco Big Brake Kit and the Currie/Ironman steering. The goal is to have the new axle under the jeep by or around 8/9, so brakes and steering would be available for pickup then. Let me know if anyone here is interested before I list them for the masses.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #4056
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds great, good to hear some progress! Only concern i have is that if the jeep is going to be driven a good bit on the road in the summer months, i'd be concerned about slugs with them super joints. You will either have to grease the joints once a month, or swap in some premos or mile marker hubs for pavement pounding. Honestly my recommendation is don't do slugs and just do yukon hubs. Those things are freaking slick, and indestructible. Slugs are sweet, but i don't think they would pair well with driving it to work and back every day in the summer.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #4057
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
Sounds great, good to hear some progress! Only concern i have is that if the jeep is going to be driven a good bit on the road in the summer months, i'd be concerned about slugs with them super joints. You will either have to grease the joints once a month, or swap in some premos or mile marker hubs for pavement pounding. Honestly my recommendation is don't do slugs and just do yukon hubs. Those things are freaking slick, and indestructible. Slugs are sweet, but i don't think they would pair well with driving it to work and back every day in the summer.
I had a long discussion about this with ECGS, the bottom line is that I didn't want anything manual. The goal was to have it setup as convenient as the Rubi axle, IE from my drivers seat, I can go from pavement to offroad and get into locked 4WD without having to exit the cab.

My understanding is that the slugs will make the 9 act like the Rubi (shafts spinning all of the time, no load). Where as the Warn or Yukon hubs I would have to manually switch them to engage the axle shafts. Where am I wrong and if so, what options are available?
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #4058
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What is difficult about twisting the knob on a manual hub when you are airing down your tires?
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #4059
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
What is difficult about twisting the knob on a manual hub when you are airing down your tires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
The goal was to have it setup as convenient as the Rubi axle
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #4060
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That doesn't answer my question. You lock them in at the beginning of the day and unlock them at the end. I don't see how that is any less convenient than the rubi axle. It takes all of 5 seconds and it's not like you're never going to step foot outside of the Jeep...
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #4061
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In your rubi axle you just had spicer 760x ujoints right? Those ujoints have needle bearings which work great for everyday pavement pounding. But superjoints do not have needle bearings, they are just simply a greased cap. That is part of the reason why they are so strong. But driving them on the street for extended periods of time can cause some problems from them causing them to wear out quicker if not constantly greased. Maybe you'd prefer to pull out the grease gun and grease them up every week, but i'd rather just put a yukon hub on it, lock it up at the trail head, unlock once leaving the trail. Grease them up every other trip, and thats it.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #4062
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid

That doesn't answer my question. You lock them in at the beginning of the day and unlock them at the end. I don't see how that is any less convenient than the rubi axle. It takes all of 5 seconds and it's not like you're never going to step foot outside of the Jeep...
I assume for racing he would want the ability to unlock without having to climb out of the driving seat.

Don't know if he was locked the entire time he was ripping through the desert but having the option of pushing a button instead of jumping out is nice
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #4063
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I assume for racing he would want the ability to unlock without having to climb out of the driving seat.
That is why he has the arb in the front. Locking in at the beginning of the day and then unlocking at the end is going to wheel just like drive slugs.

But drive slugs on the road are not going to be the same as unlocking hubs on the road.
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #4064
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post

Don't know if he was locked the entire time he was ripping through the desert but having the option of pushing a button instead of jumping out is nice
That is correct. Mike and I actually had a system of reminding me to turn on the lockers when we got into the rocks and obstacles. I ran 4wd open through the soft stuff and the whoops, 2wd through the lake bed, and 4WD locked in the rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
But drive slugs on the road are not going to be the same as unlocking hubs on the road.
My understanding is that with the slugs, it will imitate the Rubi 44. Meaning axle shafts and driveshaft spin, but there is not a load on them. Where as with the manual hubs, the axle shafts are not spinning when unlocked. Correct?

I don't pretend to be an expert on any of it, but I do know what I want and now it is just getting the right parts to create that scenario.
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #4065
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That is correct. Mike and I actually had a system of reminding me to turn on the lockers when we got into the rocks and obstacles. I ran 4wd open through the soft stuff and the whoops, 2wd through the lake bed, and 4WD locked in the rocks.

My understanding is that with the slugs, it will imitate the Rubi 44. Meaning axle shafts and driveshaft spin, but there is not a load on them. Where as with the manual hubs, the axle shafts are not spinning when unlocked. Correct?

I don't pretend to be an expert on any of it, but I do know what I want and now it is just getting the right parts to create that scenario.
Manual hubs disconnect the wheel from the axle shaft.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.