Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 263 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #3931
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494

I think there's a reason for that. I don't think I'd ever tow a car distance with anything less than a 3/4 ton. I don't wanna have to worry at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I had a 5.4 f150 just recently tow me to Harlan ky (the absolute worse tow on the east cost) and it did exceptionally well. Yeah it downshifted on big hills but everything is gonna have to do that.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #3932
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

im not talking about trailering a 2,000 mile one way, maybe like 500 +/-. i'll hop into the trailering forum with more questions to not derail.

thanks for the info on your H3's jay.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #3933
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
hey jay, i checked online and your wife's h3 has around the same towing capacity as my dakota. i've been thinking about using it as a tow rig eventually or selling it to buy a full size. only problem is with the low miles it has and being paid off i really dont want to get rid of it. i'm just weary with using it to tow a 16' and the jeep.

basically how does the H3 handle with it? do you feel any concerns? wish you had something rated for more?

i've never towed anything bigger than 3,000lbs or more than 10' so i dont really know how it is to be on the verge of the maximum towing rating. whether its unsafe or bareable or what have you.
I trailered my Jeep with a 2002 4 door frontier under powered, but got the job done. Like my current 1/2 ton GMC better, mainly for the power.
The big thing is the trailer has brakes so that pretty much takes care of the stopping situation. Next would be to find the sweet spot on the trailer so the tongue weight is right. Trailering is a better proposition than flat towing mainly because of better stopping. Flat towed my Jeep with the Nissan to Moab was a long day but got it done, lil engine that could screamed all the way there and back. With your Dakota the biggest issue would be lack of power. Regearing the rear end would help.
On my GMC I lost the 3.28 gears and currently run 3.73's and am contemplating 4.10's
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #3934
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
im not talking about trailering a 2,000 mile one way, maybe like 500 +/-.
I'm pretty sure Jay has trailered his 2,000 miles one way and back to Moab. Wheeled the Jeep and the H3 tow rig too
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #3935
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
On my GMC I lost the 3.28 gears and currently run 3.73's and am contemplating 4.10's
i have 4.10 gears on the silverado and i love it for towing. cant even tell the jeep is back there except on really steep hills. i blame that on the almost 200k miles on stock everything with nothing but changes in fluids and air filter cleanings.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #3936
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
I'm pretty sure Jay has trailered his 2,000 miles one way and back to Moab. Wheeled the Jeep and the H3 tow rig too
4400 miles round trip and Melody wheeled the Hummer all over Moab, including all obstacles on Hells Revenge (except escalator, didn't want to scratch it). We tow the jeep all over the South East including the trip to Harlan- mentioned above. It has been awesome. Ironically, I'm looking at doing a custom heim joint steering and ARB for the Alpha's IFS. Beef it up for some better chase truck action.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #3937
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

all the information provided is appreciated. the 4.7 magnum has quite a good deal of power IMO. maybe i'll rent a uhaul trailer for a few hours and actualy test it out.

SEMPER FI
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #3938
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
all the information provided is appreciated. the 4.7 magnum has quite a good deal of power IMO. maybe i'll rent a uhaul trailer for a few hours and actualy test it out.
That was my next suggestion, rent a trailer and do a trip.
U Haul trailers come with brakes so all will be good
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #3939
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

well while we are waiting for a front axle update lol i thought i'd just share more information on the derail i made, sorry jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
That was my next suggestion, rent a trailer and do a trip.
U Haul trailers come with brakes so all will be good
they only have automatic pressure brakes coming from the hitch, they worked nicely with the 6x12 i pulled over christmas but idk about with 5000+ lbs

but for anyone wondering about 1/4 tons, i went on dakota-durango forum and a bunch of guys over there talked about power is nowhere near the problem, just the stopping so as long as the e brakes are good it'll tow that kind of weight no problem

SEMPER FI
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #3940
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well while we are waiting for a front axle update lol i thought i'd just share more information on the derail i made, sorry jay

they only have automatic pressure brakes coming from the hitch, they worked nicely with the 6x12 i pulled over christmas but idk about with 5000+ lbs

but for anyone wondering about 1/4 tons, i went on dakota-durango forum and a bunch of guys over there talked about power is nowhere near the problem, just the stopping so as long as the e brakes are good it'll tow that kind of weight no problem

Id look at manufacturer ratings. People on jeepforum will defend their jeeps to the end of time. I can only assume other forums are the same way. People on here say that their jeeps have more than enough power as well but it's still not a good idea. I'm not trying to bash the trucks but just be careful what you listen to on the interwebs

1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #3941
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494

Id look at manufacturer ratings. People on jeepforum will defend their jeeps to the end of time. I can only assume other forums are the same way. People on here say that their jeeps have more than enough power as well but it's still not a good idea. I'm not trying to bash the trucks but just be careful what you listen to on the interwebs

I agree, just because it can doesn't mean it should. I have pulled with a short bed regular cab 1/2 ton and it was really kinda short for pulling a jeep, the trailer tried to control the truck instead of the truck controlling the trailer. I like towing with my ext cab much better, that little bit of extra wheel base really helps.
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #3942
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

FYI- anyone in the NC area looking for some serious rock crawling, the Farm is hosting an open invite this weekend. I'm driving the jeep out (still no trailer) to get unpretty . Amity Church rd in Iron Station, NC.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #3943
FKemp3

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
FYI- anyone in the NC area looking for some serious rock crawling, the Farm is hosting an open invite this weekend. I'm driving the jeep out (still no trailer) to get unpretty . Amity Church rd in Iron Station, NC.
Damn short notice or I would have come :-(

My Build Thread
FKemp3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #3944
1slowhatch
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
The weather gonna hold out for it? I'm in Knoxville, and it's not looking good..
1slowhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #3945
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

damn, such short notice

SEMPER FI

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.