Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 261 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #3901
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
I'm recovering from the end of last years major overhaul and to be fair to my wife, since I had the last round of mods, she is getting the next round (patio). I'm selling everything not bolted down in the garage to collect funds though.
I'm in the same boat. My wife was cool with me buying another Jeep but no fun parts until she gets a bathroom remodel and a deck.

Last edited by jforse; 04-16-2013 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Hooked on phonics DIDN'T work for me!
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #3902
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

She got this, paid for. Next year is my turn.

forumrunner_20130416_112641.jpg
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #3903
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Stereo is in and completely wired up- front dash speakers, rear tower speakers, sub and both amps. Pushing around 700 watts and I'm loving the sound !

Next up was a small little project of getting more flex out of my Genright rear sway bar. This thing is super beef, and because of time constraints, Mike and Art had to make it pretty stiff out in the desert. Yesterday I drilled out a setting at the very end of the arms and smoothed out the frame/airbump mount for the needed clearance. Painted it all up and it's good to go.

Drilled out (nearly broke my wrists when the 1/2" bit caught):

Sanded down the frame:

Painted up like new:

Should be plenty of clearance:
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #3904
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I apologize if this has been previously covered, but didn't you used to run a rear anti rock? What were your reasons for changing? Just stiffness?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #3905
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
I apologize if this has been previously covered, but didn't you used to run a rear anti rock? What were your reasons for changing? Just stiffness?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
he had no rear sway bar, we installed the genright one on the lakebed
Needed it badly, was very badly behaved without it
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #3906
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Much better.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #3907
jordanread
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just found this build thread, and looking good so far. Definitely subscribed.
May add more when I get caught up.

[B]Boris
2000 XJ Sport - From stock to unstoppable.
[/B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-surviving-adventure-1530551/"]Building Boris - Surviving the Adventure[/URL] (The fun)
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-details-1530552/"]Building Boris - The Details[/URL] (The write-ups)
jordanread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #3908
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanread View Post
Just found this build thread, and looking good so far. Definitely subscribed.
May add more when I get caught up.

Cool, hopefully it continues to get better!
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #3909
jordanread
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Cool, hopefully it continues to get better!
Well, they say history has a tendency to repeat itself, so I doubt I'll be disappointed.

[B]Boris
2000 XJ Sport - From stock to unstoppable.
[/B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-surviving-adventure-1530551/"]Building Boris - Surviving the Adventure[/URL] (The fun)
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-details-1530552/"]Building Boris - The Details[/URL] (The write-ups)
jordanread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #3910
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

^^ hopefully he gets his new front axle and history WONT repeat itself lol

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #3911
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
^^ hopefully he gets his new front axle and history WONT repeat itself lol

That is funny.
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #3912
NICKTAMM19
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Been following your thread awhile I just saw that you may be racing in Birmingham this weekend I'm guessing its the race at GrayRock? Did you decide on going? If so and you still need some pit help you can put me down.
NICKTAMM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #3913
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nick ^ Awesome gesture. Jankoid- thanks again for the trailer offer. Not going to make this race. The jeep is fully prepped and ready to drive on the trailer, but A. the trip is going to be roughly $800 (when I need to be saving for a front axle) and B. it is supposed to rain and I hate racing in the rain. So instead I'm going to save some of the cash into the axle fund which just puts me one step closer to my next goal.

It sucks missing it, but without the family going, it wouldn't have been nearly as fun. That being said, I'll be cherry picking a few from the remaining events:
  • May 25th: ECORS Harlan Race, KY (charity event)
  • July 6th: ECORS Devils Playground Race, NC (ALWAYS a muddy slop fest)
  • July 27th: Rally North America Snowshoe Race, WV
  • August 24th: ECORS The Flats Race, NC
  • August 24th: Dirt Riot Finale Durhamtown, GA
  • August 31st: Baja of Texas Chupacabra 300 Race, TX (300 mile desert race)
  • September 21st: Line Mountain 7 miler Race, PA
  • November 16th: ECORS Harlan Finale, KY

So to get my mind off of it, I decided to have a little fun with one of my son's toys I bought for him . He's 18 months old, but it's never too young to get your first RC rock crawler! Maisto RC crawler out of the box:

Removed front bumper and highlined the fenders. Gained 1" of uptravel:

Comp cut the rear and trimmed rear bumper:

My son weighs 31lbs and he literally will tackle this thing. Sit on it, etc. The tires were all into the body, now it clears 100%:

Next up was addressing the power issue. It has none. It bogs on climbs, wheels stop spinning if bound up. Batteries die after 10 minutes (runs on AA's). Time to supercharge this thing . Getting to the guts and cutting the power wires:

Picked up a new NI-MH 9.6v, cut the wires and added some connectors to splice into the stock wiring:

Drilled a hole through the battery box for the new wiring:

Cut off the end of the box, then dremmeled out the plastic to fit the new battery in the stock location:

Charged the battery and mounted it up:

Ready to Go! The crawler drives like it is on NOS! It pops wheelies because it has so much power now. I was..... I mean.... my son was driving it for forever with no battery drain. HUGE improvement and tons of fun. Well worth the $30 (plus battery).

I'll probably paint it white and give it a 4500 number. You know, for my son.
Unread 04-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #3914
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

great stuff
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #3915
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nick ^ Awesome gesture. Jankoid- thanks again for the trailer offer. Not going to make this race. The jeep is fully prepped and ready to drive on the trailer, but A. the trip is going to be roughly $800 (when I need to be saving for a front axle) and B. it is supposed to rain and I hate racing in the rain. So instead I'm going to save some of the cash into the axle fund which just puts me one step closer to my next goal.

It sucks missing it, but without the family going, it wouldn't have been nearly as fun. That being said, I'll be cherry picking a few from the remaining events:

[*]May 25th: ECORS Harlan Race, KY (charity event)[*]July 6th: ECORS Devils Playground Race, NC (ALWAYS a muddy slop fest)[*]July 27th: Rally North America Snowshoe Race, WV[*]August 24th: ECORS The Flats Race, NC[*]August 24th: Dirt Riot Finale Durhamtown, GA[*]August 31st: Baja of Texas Chupacabra 300 Race, TX (300 mile desert race)[*]September 21st: Line Mountain 7 miler Race, PA[*]November 16th: ECORS Harlan Finale, KY

So to get my mind off of it, I decided to have a little fun with one of my son's toys I bought for him . He's 18 months old, but it's never too young to get your first RC rock crawler! Maisto RC crawler out of the box:

Removed front bumper and highlined the fenders. Gained 1" of uptravel:

Comp cut the rear and trimmed rear bumper:

My son weighs 31lbs and he literally will tackle this thing. Sit on it, etc. The tires were all into the body, now it clears 100%:

Next up was addressing the power issue. It has none. It bogs on climbs, wheels stop spinning if bound up. Batteries die after 10 minutes (runs on AA's). Time to supercharge this thing . Getting to the guts and cutting the power wires:

Picked up a new NI-MH 9.6v, cut the wires and added some connectors to splice into the stock wiring:

Drilled a hole through the battery box for the new wiring:

Cut off the end of the box, then dremmeled out the plastic to fit the new battery in the stock location:

Charged the battery and mounted it up:

Ready to Go! The crawler drives like it is on NOS! It pops wheelies because it has so much power now. I was..... I mean.... my son was driving it for forever with no battery drain. HUGE improvement and tons of fun. Well worth the $30 (plus battery).

I'll probably paint it white and give it a 4500 number. You know, for my son.
Best build ever!
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.