Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 230 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 02-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #3436
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well guys, what an awesome day. Seriously, even though we didn't finish we had an amazing run up until aftershock where we just had too many things happen all at once. The belly pan skid bolts either stripped or fell out and the trans dropped, we ratched it back up, moved about 10 ft and broke a u-joint and then took out the ball joints driving another 100 ft over rocks with a broken u-joint.

Man, we had a great first lap though, really moving in the desert and was able to stay out in clean air for the majority of our run which was a huge help. We also one-shot a steep sand hill and past 4-5 guys that were all stuck/broke which was pretty cool.

And yes, we did top out at 77mph, that is accurate according to the gps in front of me

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #3437
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Making it 73 miles on this course was a huge accomplishment in my book. Just an overall awesome experience for us!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #3438
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Waited at Choc thunder for you guys allllll day haha. Not many made it that far!
Nice meeting you guys!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #3439
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Our hillbilly suspension tune and a crazy @ss driver made the mallcrawler fly across the desert. The breakage well Our Desert strip malls have some serious speed bumps, so carnage was imminent. To me the best part of the day was trying to find the mall crawler back in the pitch black and get it from the trail back to camp. That turned out to be an interesting 2 hour exploration trip in the big ole sand box. Had a great time, lets crawl the strip mall some more mall crawler guy

By the way, you buy the spider 9 and I'll buy the armorall, those tires need some tire black also. Was cool hanging out with your family and Mikey and Josh you both rock this was a pretty darn good effort that started Monday morning with a bunch of crap thrown in the bed of my truck and by Monday night we were having at it like pro team.
Mikey whenever you are ready come on out for some more fun in the big sand box, was fun hanging out, same goes for you Mr Mallcrawler guy.
Oh yeah it should officially become mallcrawler racing
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #3440
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideraa View Post
Looks like it was a group from great lakes 4x4 that helped them out.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthr...=254880&page=2

post #32
They sure did

Unread 02-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #3441
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the great run and great experience guys. It was very exciting watching and routing for you. I can now go on with my life today and try to get something done! lol
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #3442
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

All the more motivation for my own DD rig.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #3443
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Well guys, what an awesome day. Seriously, even though we didn't finish we had an amazing run up until aftershock where we just had too many things happen all at once. The belly pan skid bolts either stripped or fell out and the trans dropped, we ratched it back up, moved about 10 ft and broke a u-joint and then took out the ball joints driving another 100 ft over rocks with a broken u-joint...
Making it any distance at all after this kind of breakage is seriously impressive, in my book.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #3444
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So the u joint ears spread and pushed out the BJ? Gotcha. It's pretty admirable that you made it that far on a rig that is not only street legal, but daily driven often. I definitely appreciate that. And not to consider 'what ifs'.....but if you had RCV's, the ball joints likely would've been fine and who knows how far you could've gone. Good job guys, it was definitely fun watching you haul through the desert section. The helo got some great coverage of it.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #3445
465stroker
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
So the u joint ears spread and pushed out the BJ? Gotcha. It's pretty admirable that you made it that far on a rig that is not only street legal, but daily driven often. I definitely appreciate that. And not to consider 'what ifs'.....but if you had RCV's, the ball joints likely would've been fine and who knows how far you could've gone. Good job guys, it was definitely fun watching you haul through the desert section. The helo got some great coverage of it.
Ditto... Very impressive!
465stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #3446
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty cool! The dessert section was pretty awesome! To say impressive is an understatement!
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #3447
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Sahara View Post
Pretty cool! The dessert section was pretty awesome! To say impressive is an understatement!
Especially with the whipped cream topping. Yum!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #3448
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500
The belly pan skid bolts either stripped or fell out and the trans dropped,
I actually think this is common. I had to leave early from a trail (Holy Cross CO). I bombed the trail rest of the trail since I was no longer with the group. The trail is littered with bowling ball sized rocks. I had some the bolts back out and my pan dropped. I check them all the time now!

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #3449
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

U joint broke, after that the balljoints got ripped out. Pretty common, is why I brought a ball joint press to the lakebed. That was my original assesment, that rcv's would have kept them in the race a bit longer, the axle housing was flexing pretty bad also, we could not keep the diff cover bolts tight.
Still from where we started working on the mall crawler on Monday morning till it started the race we turned this Jeep from a almost undrivable Jeep in to a competitor that hauled @ss across the desert. that in it self was a pretty big accomplishment.
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #3450
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats Team REDLYNER for an awesome experience and go at the 2013 KOH. In all honesty, it's beyond impressive that you did as well as you did with such little preparation and track time. Now it's time to sit back and relax, enjoy talking and reminiscing about the experience with everyone (If you were in Indy this would also be accompanied with some infamous tator balls!!).

I'm excited to see some of the gopro cockpit coverage and pics.

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.