Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily... - Page 149 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project REDLYNER: Rock Crawler Driven Daily...

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #2221
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

HAH! Noob

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #2222
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Sitting here at Discount Tire... Barely. I was on fumes driving out here and ran out of gas 15' from the pump at the gas station. It started up and I peeled out/jumped the last 10' to the pump before running out again .

It scared the hell out of the lady beside me. Hopefully they get these things balanced out right and my drive home is butter. We shall see....
lol! I pulled up to the wrong side of the pump on Friday, passenger side. Got out & went to put the nozzle in before I noticed it. Felt like a ******* as I got back int he Jeep & pulled around to another pump with it on the driver side.

I bet your tires will be good. I've been driving my 35's without a stabilizer for the past two days without any shimmy at all.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #2223
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't be scared when they start piling on the sticky weights, these tires sometimes take over 12oz. I just had mine re-balanced (every 5k miles) and I had this annoying shimmy and vibration prior, smooth as butter after. These tires are so smooth when properly balanced.

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #2224
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
These tires are so smooth when properly balanced.
Most are.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #2225
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Vibe is gone, death wobble is gone. I also topped off the tank and reset the odometer, so we'll see how the gas mileage improves too.

Hoping to get the TC shifter and Undercover fab skid installed on Wednesday, then get to work on the tube fenders this weekend. Neither set (front or rear) have shown up yet, but I'm expecting them by Friday. My Stone White paint arrived today, so the question is, do I try to paint the front highlines myself? Or pay to have them painted, which would be 10 times better than I am capable. I got a nice even base on my doors, but did not clear coat them. Mostly because I've never cleared before and have no idea how to do it.

Doors (the match is pretty good, but you can tell they are lacking a gloss coat):

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #2226
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why not find a place that mixes car paint? Here in michigan we have painters supply and autovalue that mixes car paint. You can get them to mix the paint based on your paint code. Then just tell them you want it in a single stage paint and spray it. No need for a clear coat to go over top,and because the paint is just a solid color you dont have much to worry about when sparying it. Just keep the orange peel down (the little waves and bump, you want to put on wet coats).
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #2227
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got my comp corner shipping notification from Sniper Fab today, which normally wouldn't mean anything, until I scrolled down to shipping weight...

Scheduled Delivery: 19-July-2012
Ship To:
Jay
North Carolina
Number of Packages: 3
UPS Service: GROUND
Weight: 20.0 LBS

Unread 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #2228
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wish I was closer Jay. I could spray it all.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #2229
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

20lbs? Wow
GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #2230
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jay if you dont mind sending me a pic of your hi line from sinister i would greatly appreciate it. Im ordering next week and wanted to see what it looks like before install.
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #2231
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
I got a nice even base on my doors, but did not clear coat them. Mostly because I've never cleared before and have no idea how to do it.
Laying down some rattle can clear coat is simple Jay, the only difference with clear coat is the over-spray (dusting) effect. The trick to eliminate that and lay down some mirror glass clear coat finish is to start at one side and work your way across to the other side with even layers. Keep the angle of the can at a 45* to keep the over-spray moving away from the fresh sections as you move across the surface.

Lay down a thin coat to start, then apply thicker coats as you go. This makes the clear coat stick better. If you have the option, lay the doors flat when you paint so there's no runs or drips. Lay down at least 4-6 layers.. the more the better. The nice thing about clear coat is that it's very easy to manipulate after it's dry, you can wet sand, buff, or polish any blemishes.

Most importantly, use a high temp clear coat, at least 250*. Higher temp clear coats (and paints) are usually much stronger and more durable and will prevent water spots baking into the finish (ask me how I know this lol). If you have any questions feel free to PM me or reach out to John since he's the master at painting

And my vote is for you to do the clear coat on the doors as well as the paint / clear on the fenders Jay. Save yourself the money and in the end you will be much more proud of the finished product.

IndyORV
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #2232
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some example pics of how the clear coat will turn out after you lay down some nice and even layers...

dsc00741.jpg   dsc00742.jpg   psc-louver-11.jpg  

IndyORV
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #2233
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I swear Brad you make me want to pull the trigger on that Louver.....
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #2234
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just want Brad or John to spray some clear. When are you guys coming to Charlotte? Saturday, Sunday ?
Unread 07-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #2235
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOE1914 View Post
I swear Brad you make me want to pull the trigger on that Louver.....
Thanks Ronel! I do like that PSC louver and it's helping tramendously in this blistering hot summer we're having. There's no way I would be able to touch the hood w/out burning my hands if I didn't have that louver, which means everything else under the hood would be baking with heat soak.

Not sure how much of a fan I am of their new laser cut design w/ their entire company name logo engraved in the louver.

Jay - don't fear the clear brahh

IndyORV

Tags
aluminum , coilovers , custom , ecors , fuel cell , immaculate wheeling queen , koh , level 5 hair gel , offroad racing , racing , sinister fab , smittybuilt emc , sniper fab , tnt , toothbrush detailing , ultra4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.