Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1M views 7K replies 494 participants last post by  MO2500 
#1 ·
Project REDLYNER: Ultra4 Race Jeep Driven Daily...

EDIT: VillagePhotos has crashed, taken their customers money and lost all of their pictures. This means roughly 1,000 pictures in this thread are now dead links. I switched to a new server and pictures start back on page 99. SORRY!!

Pics start back:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-redlyner-rock-crawler-driven-daily-1046789/index99.html

This is way late in the game to start a build thread, so it is not a from scratch build.

I'll try to give a little back ground on the jeep and the build so far-

Number one, I have one of the most understanding wives out there. Not only does she support most of the mods, but she talks me into higher quality parts when I want to normally go cheap.

Number two, I bought this TJ when I lived in Colorado and immediately got addicted to rocks. But more importantly, addicted to the slick Rock in Moab. Every single mod on this rig was built or added with Moab trails in mind. So to keep this thread from being too wordy, I'll start throwing out some pics.

I bought the Jeep with a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift and 33"s. It had never been offroad according to the previous owner and after I inspected it, I was pretty convinced he was telling the truth. Not a spec of dirt in anything underneath the rig and not a scratch to be found. I think I got a deal.

This is a multi-stage build. Each stage represented taking to the next level of trail difficulty.

Pictures were not that great until like 2009 when we got a nice camera...

Here is a short recap of stage 1:

Day I brought it home back in 2006- I almost broke the Dana 35 because of the amount of Armor All on it:

Stage one was getting this thing so I could recover myself and be recovered. Also need to protect the easiest areas to damage- so the short list was:

Warn Rock Sliders
Warn Front Bumber
Warn Winch Mount
Tow Hooks
ARB Shackles
Warn M8000 Winch
Auburn Front Selectable Locker and install kit
Uniden CB
Kilby Gas Tank Skid

The 4 Wheel Parts show and local 4x4 board made it pretty easy to get some smoking deals:

And on went the first round of mods:

Bumper and winch:

Gas tank off, new tank on:

With the armor on, CB in and Auburn Locker front locker installed, it was time to go play in Moab:

See less See more
#356 ·
I don't think it is that simple. My willingness to not roll my jeep doesn't mean it is less superior of a trail rig, it just means I don't want to roll it over just yet. There is no doubt in my mind that I can get over Bees Nest, but the margin of error is so small on a shorter wheelbase rig, on Saturday, the reward just did not out weigh the risk. So I tried like 7 times and called it.

In the Spring, when The Farm re-opens to the public, I'm sure I will be back on it.

:cheers2:

A monster getting over Bees Nest for example:

#359 ·
You guys should come out in December for the toys for tots run at the badlands. It will be a good time. If you ever do head out this way, let me know, we'll show you around.

#361 ·
Actually, we have been talking about a trip up there. How many days do you need to really play around in the park?

Wait..... aren't the tires supposed to be pointing down?

:D

I could fly out there if they would stop sending me to Canada. By the end of the year, I will be sitting at 70 days in Canada. :nono:
Man that is a lot of time up North, I can see why it would be tough to sneak away for some time on the slick rock. I know the Frogs get away each year, so at least you have that!

#364 ·
December 4th sir.

#365 ·
Well, the wife is out of town this weekend and the UPS guy could not have had better timing! Looks like a weekend project!

"Hopefully" it will install just like the driver's side...

Going through last weekends photos I found another cool shot of one of the obstacles at The Farm:

#367 ·
I like my PSC trail stinger, but there are better options out now that I may switch to.

I don't have any kids yet, but I am building the jeep around the idea of having one or some in the near future.

Mastercraft makes a matching rear Baja seat (like this but with MC stitching):

#371 ·
Can't do it Steve, the wife has an event that weekend I told her I would go to. I really want to get up there though!

man, your rig is lookin sweet!! i really like the seats!!! what type of bumper are you looking at moving to instead of the PSC Stinger?
Thanks! I have no idea about the bumper, I actually like PSC's brawler stinger bumper. I just like changing it up every once in awhile.

Seats are in and man are they comfortable! I picked up my wife from the airport on Sunday in the jeep and she didn't know I had ordered her passenger seat and harness. I figured I would go for the shock and awe approach to telling her :D.

Onto the pics!

#370 ·
man, your rig is lookin sweet!! i really like the seats!!! what type of bumper are you looking at moving to instead of the PSC Stinger?

#375 ·
:laugh:

The seats sit about an inch higher. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but you get used to it after about two trips to the grocery store.

Soooo, next project? Well, we are still trying to get out to Moab next March/April, so I think there are still a few things I would like to see completed on it before then:

• Rubicon mirrors (mine are pretty scratched up)
  • Speaker pods and 5.25" dash speakers
  • Extra cage pieces welded in
  • Cage to frame tie-ins
  • Maaaaybe an RCI fuel cell to replace the stocker in the tub

After that, I'm looking at:

• Rear reservoir shocks
  • Front hi-line tube fenders
  • Front coilovers

#377 ·
if/when you get rid of that trail stinger let me know, i ordered a bumper for mine and put it on, but i don't really like it, the pictures of it were missleading and i thought it leaned forward more. That is if your willing to get rid of it.

#383 ·
if/when you get rid of that trail stinger let me know
I will let you know. I have a few other priorities, but if I make a change, I'll try to shoot you a PM.

Allsome build! Im liken the stretch!
I'm loving the stretch, it is night and day different on the trail.

I absolutely love this build. I follow it everytime I'm on the Internet... At least that's what it seems like. Keep up the good work.
Thank you! It has bee a ton of fun. It is depressing every time I say "ok, just this one last mod..." then I think of four more.

I don't even recall a spec of dirt on it on the off road pictures, let alone in your driveway!

P.S. When did you switch H3s again? Somewhere around page 26 I noticed it was no longer blue!
I wash it as soon as I am back from the trail, I try to keep it in "show" condition for the street. I try the hardest lines I can and have been really lucky not to roll it. I'm real light on the gas pedal which also keeps me from getting into too bad of situations on rocks that may be out of my league. I'm lucky to have a wife that is a great spotter too!

As far as the Hummers (H3), we have evolved from the first year they came out-

In '06 we picked up a white '06 base model with the 220hp 5 cylinder. Lifted it and stuck some 35" A/T's under it and headed to the mountains:

Then in '09 we traded it in for a blue '07 H3 Adventure with 240hp, rear locker, and 4 to 1 transfer case. Lifted it, stuck some 35" M/Ts under it and again, beat on it out in the rocks:

After towing the jeep across the country with the 5 cyl, we knew right away that we needed more power. So 11 months later we upgraded to a white (what we always wanted) H3 Alpha Adventure! With 300hp and 310ft/lbs of tq, towing has been awesome!

Again, lifted it up in the front and slid on the 35" M/Ts. We haven't drug this around the rocks yet, but it has been towing the TJ everywhere. We built it as a rescue vehicle- 35" tires, tow straps, 9,500lb winch, locker, custom skid plates, tools, hi-lift jack, etc etc. So if the jeep breaks on the trail, the H3 will hopefully be able to come in and get it.

#380 ·
Holy sh*t. 38 pages of thread later, I have drooled over every single picture you posted. One of my favorite things to do with build threads is to look at the first picture and the most recent, and note the (in your case) massive difference! This thing is built better than any Jeep I've seen in a long, long time... and your care for it is evident in every photo! I don't even recall a spec of dirt on it on the off road pictures, let alone in your driveway!

Congratulations, Jay! It's a real beast you've got there.

P.S. When did you switch H3s again? Somewhere around page 26 I noticed it was no longer blue!

#385 ·
Your very lucky to have such an awesome wife that is willing to spot, wheel her rig and be ok with your jeep problem...;) I love this jeep:drool:

#387 ·
The H3. My wife and I both work from home, so we just switch up from time to time.

I sold the vette last month, it was my main DD.

#390 ·
It's a genius idea to make your towing rig capable of not only recovering the Wrangler and bringing it home (if and when it's broken) but also able to get to the location where it might break.
Thank you! There is only a handful of rigs that can do both, and while I haven't had to go in and rescue my jeep, I have had to bring it in to get my brother-in-laws when he was racing.

I am around 11,600lbs GCWR between the H3, trailer, TJ, and gear and the Alpha is rated at 12,000lbs GCWR.

So are you going to do anything else to the H3? Like OBA for air tools, an on board welder, etc.?
I am still building this one up, but it does have onboard air (CO2 setup) and air tools to run off of it. It also carries spare axle shafts for the Rubi 44's, along with a few other spare parts (u-joint bolts, all jeep fluids, etc)

#389 ·
So are you going to do anything else to the H3? Like OBA for air tools, an on board welder, etc.?

#392 ·
Is it me or are the front seats two different designs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.