Project Predator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Predator

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

Project Predator

So for myself and anyone else that may be interested...

I bought a 2001 Jeep TJ Sahara for what I think was a pretty good price of $8750 locally in Asheville, NC. It had stock wheels and crappy tires so part of the deal was to trade out the wheels and tires from the other 2001 TJ that had some aftermarket wheels on it thinking that i would probably get something out of some aftermarket wheels vs stock when i tried to sell them. After getting them traded out i noticed a pretty nasty shake, so i'm thinking its out of balance and long story short the tires were pretty much shot. So if i have to go by tires I might as well buy wheels. Much thanks to Discount Tire for hooking me up with some 33x12.50 R15's BFG A/T's and 15x8 soft 8's for cheap!

Yes, I did have to put them on with stock suspension...which in itself was pretty funny.

So how I got it....
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

PredatorNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

So here she is with the 33's and stock suspension....

[IMG][/IMG]

Yes it ran close to scrubbing...
under normal daily driving it never would scrub enough to notice, even hitting road to parking lot dips.

If in doubt...HIT THE GAS!! It may not always be the right decision, but it will end the suspense!

The build so far....[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-predator-1342553/[/url]
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

I got the JKS 1.25" BL and a 1" MML...the install is super easy. The only question I had was the directions said..."If you are doing a motor mount lift in conjunction with the body lift, do the body lift first, and skip steps 1,2,5 and 6"...which are the loosen fan shroud, loosen this line, etc. I kept a close eye on the fan anyway, and all the other lines and such. When the last puck was going in, the front one, my fan was pressed rather tightly against the fan shroud. Needless to say I expedited the removal of the old motor mounts to ease up the pressure.

Otherwise the only snag installing the MML was that the driver's side bolt head is facing the front, which you can not get out because it was hitting the A/C pump (iirc), so you have to loosen the 3 motor side bolts until its loose enough to slide past it, then when you put it back in, go from back to front.

Both were done with my bro's help...good to have a set of hands above the engine while you are below it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see it best from the back, not that you really want to, but i figure that will not really be seen after the rear bumper is on.

If in doubt...HIT THE GAS!! It may not always be the right decision, but it will end the suspense!

The build so far....[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-predator-1342553/[/url]
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

So I dove into virgin territory last night...a rear locker! I read a bunch of info, watched some videos and felt pretty good about my ability and doing it myself. I made a trip to the parts store and picked up the needed supplies: 2 qt of Royal Purple 75-140 gear oil with the locker additive, locktite, and some gasket RTV. First of all, I definitely need bigger jack stands...with them just before the lower arms the rear end sat lower than if it were on its wheels! So jack stands still in position, I jacked it up with some wood between the jack and the tow hitch and that got it much higher and a workable level.

I felt prepared! Took off all the bolt except the top on the diff cover, gave it a couple love taps with my bucket below it and nothing. Pulled the fill plug thinking it may have a vacuum or something...bang, tap, bang! Nothing! One screwdriver easily place in and a slight push up and SPLASH! Gear oil everywhere but the bucket! After the clean up, I pulled the last bolt and looked in....*sigh* this is not the one I had seen! The one that made it look so easy on the videos! This one I would have to pull the whole carrier out of! I re-read the directions...no help except "If you have the axle that the pin will not slid past the ring gear, you will have to remove the carrier" No kiddin!

Since this is all new to me, I could not even begin to step out what needed to be done next...not to mention I'm in my Dad's garage since he has lots of tools and I can't leave it hanging half out of the garage. So until I could get things sorted out, I cleaned it up real nice and buttoned it all back together. At least I know the gear oil look 100% better than was spread out across the floor!

After doing more research and talking to motorheads at work, I feel pretty good about giving it another crack...this time allotting more than the 3 hours (starting at 7pm!) to do it.

I checked the tracking number today...the lift will be here tomorrow! Should have it on by the weekend!

Unread 03-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I didnt have as much luck with my body lift and mml but they finally got done. What are your future plans?
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
What are your future plans?
Future plans....where to start! lol
I have a 4" lift in the mail right now, should be here 3/15.
Next will be SYE and CV DS after the lift so i can get a good measurement.
RRC Side Armor bars (to help the 5' tall wife climb in )
Then i'm not sure...probably get to the bumpers front/rear and recovery equipment.
Fenders, i'm thinking Metalcloak...very nice, but lots of $$$
I do want to re-gear to somewhere in the low/mid 4's
Course there is always the electronics, new stereo, CB, etc.
....and the list goes on, and on, and on...

Unread 03-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
tantan123

I jacked it up with some wood between the jack and the tow hitch and that got it much higher and a workable level.
tantan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

It's like watching for water to boil! Waiting on the big brown truck!

Unread 03-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

So Sat. I set aside the whole day starting at noon to put on the lift kit, i'm thinking 8 hours or so...

I tried to set up with everything I knew I would need....

Beer!

Unread 03-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had planned on taking a bunch of pictures during the process, just for kicks, but I kinda got in the zone and completely forgot about it cause I put the camera up on a shelf so I wouldn't break it!

Long story short...I worked on it until midnight and went back to finish the rest this morning, about another 1.5 hours.

I guess it wasn't too awful bad since I was alone about 70% of the time and this kit required a little bit extra. It really wasn't bad at all...had a couple of bolts/nuts that were a pain, like the drivers top shock nut would not come off so I ended up searching all over the garage for what would be the best to do it and ended up with the saws-all.

I like the stance of it now, and its truely amazing how putting on a lift all the sudden made my tires look so much smaller!!!

Unread 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

So of course I had to go out and mess around a bit after the initial test drive and shake down.

Here's a ditch right next to my driveway...while it's nothing serious, it does have enough of a hole to make it flex a bit and a easy test area.

This is the same spot from different angles. The thing that got me was that I actually had it at the tip point. You could easily press down on the left rear bumper and bring the right front up, so I know all the weight was really on the left front and right rear tires. The kicker is, and i'm guessing because the kit is brand new, that the bump stops were nowhere close to hitting! There was approx. 2-3 inches before the bump stops hit on either corner I guess when the springs and such break in a bit they will give the full amount of flex and go to the stops???

Unread 03-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looking good!
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rockin awesome purple Jeep.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #14
1FuddyMucker
1983 CJ7 

[QUOTE=PredatorNC;13261726]So of course I had to go out and mess around a bit after the initial test drive and shake down.

Here's a ditch right next to my driveway...while it's nothing serious, it does have enough of a hole to make it flex a bit and a easy test area.

This is the same spot from different angles. The thing that got me was that I actually had it at the tip point. You could easily press down on the left rear bumper and bring the right front up, so I know all the weight was really on the left front and right rear tires. The kicker is, and i'm guessing because the kit is brand new, that the bump stops were nowhere close to hitting! There was approx. 2-3 inches before the bump stops hit on either corner I guess when the springs and such break in a bit they will give the full amount of flex and go to the stops???
QUOTE]

The springs will settle down to normal after a few weeks or so, mine looked huge when i first lifted it. It settled down 1 to 2 inches eventually.
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorNC
So of course I had to go out and mess around a bit after the initial test drive and shake down.

Did you check to see if your shocks were bottoming out? That would be bad.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.