Project Pissed Wife Phase II 5.3L Vortec and 4L60e install! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Pissed Wife Phase II 5.3L Vortec and 4L60e install!

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Reply
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #76
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
Also I wanted to add that after geting my first order from Novak. I wasn't THAT impressed with them. I mean they made my order right, but I would rather the order take a day or 2 to get to me than to be wrong.

__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #77
BionicOnion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 189
any chance you'd be willing to part with that EGR valve and the connector +6inch or so pigtail ? i really could use one =\
BionicOnion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #78
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
From which motor? It's yours you pay shipping. Pm me.
__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #79
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
The one on the 5.3 is brand new GM part.
__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #80
BionicOnion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 189
pm'ed. im also doing a 5.3 swap currently. i got mine fired up. do you have a returnless fuel system or is your regulator on the rail? i plumed up my stock sending unit with a -6 fitting and some new hose and it ran the 5.3 just fine..what sucks is i gotta run a fuel cell now due to clearance. =\ if you have any questions i'd be happy to bounce ideas off of you.
BionicOnion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #81
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicOnion View Post
pm'ed. im also doing a 5.3 swap currently. i got mine fired up. do you have a returnless fuel system or is your regulator on the rail? i plumed up my stock sending unit with a -6 fitting and some new hose and it ran the 5.3 just fine..what sucks is i gotta run a fuel cell now due to clearance. =\ if you have any questions i'd be happy to bounce ideas off of you.
My motor has the regulator on the rail, so I have an idea what to do with that

What mounts and manifolds are you running? What did you do about a rad and trans cooling?

I'm going to use the stock Jeep sending unit, I plan the rerout the 5/16" jeep supply line as the return and run a new 3/8" supply line for the motor.

Got my motor mounts tacked in tonight. Measuring/ welding one handed sucks! But I got them in dead on balls at 31" 3/8. So this weekend I should have he motor sitting between the rails for a test fit.


Photobucket on the IPad kicks ***, but sucks donkeys on the IPhone.
__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #82
BionicOnion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 189
good job so far man! it's looking good. I ended up buying novak mounts, flywheel, headers, lots of other crap. I am using a sm465 but after 2 attempted with their clutch fitting i said screw it and bought an AA version. the novak was a regular double flare fitting on the end but you couldn't fit anything on it but a brake T and after first one snapped in half and 2nd leaks a drop every few clutch pushes...AA's version is a -3an fitting on top so a 90* -3an brake line should fit very nicely.

i guess that answers your question about trans cooling...lol manual

i used an ebay aluminum radiator from american eagle radiator i believe. VERY VERY pleased so far. i got a few pictures. it bolted straight into stock position. lots of clearance. also made my air intake tonight out of a cut up aem brute force i got on ebay new for 100 heres a few pics.

i set up my stock fuel sender like you mentioned and it runs the engine nicely. im running all braided lines and very little hard lines. had problems with them sealing to the AN fittings.

IIRC i think your measurements for your mounts are about dead nuts to what mine were. i can actually get around the back of the engine with a socket set if i have to.

heres a few pics of where im at. i already know mine runs as i have a vid of that too





Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
My motor has the regulator on the rail, so I have an idea what to do with that

What mounts and manifolds are you running? What did you do about a rad and trans cooling?

I'm going to use the stock Jeep sending unit, I plan the rerout the 5/16" jeep supply line as the return and run a new 3/8" supply line for the motor.

Got my motor mounts tacked in tonight. Measuring/ welding one handed sucks! But I got them in dead on balls at 31" 3/8. So this weekend I should have he motor sitting between the rails for a test fit.


Photobucket on the IPad kicks ***, but sucks donkeys on the IPhone.
BionicOnion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #83
MTPKTS
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis, In.
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
You know I don't know if he was injured in the accident or not. Ill find out when I meet him.
Just remember KARMA, It come back around.
MTPKTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #84
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicOnion View Post
good job so far man! it's looking good. I ended up buying novak mounts, flywheel, headers, lots of other crap. I am using a sm465 but after 2 attempted with their clutch fitting i said screw it and bought an AA version. the novak was a regular double flare fitting on the end but you couldn't fit anything on it but a brake T and after first one snapped in half and 2nd leaks a drop every few clutch pushes...AA's version is a -3an fitting on top so a 90* -3an brake line should fit very nicely.

i guess that answers your question about trans cooling...lol manual

i used an ebay aluminum radiator from american eagle radiator i believe. VERY VERY pleased so far. i got a few pictures. it bolted straight into stock position. lots of clearance. also made my air intake tonight out of a cut up aem brute force i got on ebay new for 100 heres a few pics.

i set up my stock fuel sender like you mentioned and it runs the engine nicely. im running all braided lines and very little hard lines. had problems with them sealing to the AN fittings.

IIRC i think your measurements for your mounts are about dead nuts to what mine were. i can actually get around the back of the engine with a socket set if i have to.

heres a few pics of where im at. i already know mine runs as i have a vid of that too



Very cool. Post that vid man!
__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #85
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPKTS View Post
Just remember KARMA, It come back around.
This time Karma is 6'6" 250 lbs of doesnt like his friends almost getting killed.

My friend had to have a pacemaker put in today due to complications from his stroke.
__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #86
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
Ok so I have been a little under the weather and spending more time that I would ever want to at the hospital and getting some house chores done at my friends house. But I have been able to get a few things done and should be dropping this pig in between the frame rails this weekend on schedule.

Last thing drivetrain wise that needed to be done is to have the tcase hanging on the back of the trans. This means that I had to tear the tcase apart and install the new 27 spline input shaft. Also need to get the adapters on the trans along with the VSS installed in its adapter.

Tcase came apart without any drama. I installed an SYE back a year or so ago, so I didnt expect to find anything. Chain is still nice and tight.



Here is the old (shorter) tcase input gear vs the new (taller) input gear.


Thats really all there is to it. you are just replacing the input gear, bolting up an adapter and your done. AA's instructions are ok, they need to edited them a bit. Like mentioning to,use locktight on fastners after they tell you to install them. And I got a seal I have no idea where it goes. Its a timken seal part # 417474, AA part # 6757. This seal is listed on the kits contents list but it does not appear to be listed anywhere in the instructions. The only other seal is the tcase input seal so Im lost on that one. i think it gotdropped in my box by mistake.
__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #87
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
Got the tcase all back together with no extra parts hanging around. That's always nice. Also got the VSS installed, it needed to be .010-.012 from the gear. That was easier than I expected it to be. I just stuck a .012 feeler gauge in there and tightened it down then the .010 gauge slid right in.

Got the tcase mounted with the supplied gasket. I tried to measure the mounting holes on the ax15 vs the new adapter, I think it's right? Please let me know if it is or not.



Over all the adapter is 4", with that I was concerned about overall length of the whole package. From front of motor, accessories included I get a total length of 69"



The 4.0/ax15/231 I measured 71.5" total length. So it appears I lost 1.5" in total length which I very happy with.

Shot of everything.



VSS location


The reluctor ring that rides on the output shaft of the trans measures @ 1.29". The output shaft measured @ 1.31" ! Which is a huge difference to me. I work with thousands of an inch and nanometers all day at work. So I didn't think it was right. But my hammer fixed it. It was easy actually.

Tomorrow I drop it in the Jeep to check fit, measure for driveshafts, trans mount and to check manifold figment. And what ever else I can find. As long as it all looks good I may go ahead and burn the engine mounts in time allowing.

I also found out that I may be looking at another week to 10 days before my wiring harness and PCM ship back to me. So far wiring has been my longest lead time item.
__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #88
USMCBuckWild
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
Posts: 976
71 1/2 - 69 = 2 1/2




Hahaha Look s awesome man. Can't wait to see it test fitted. I really wish I had gotten a 5.3 instead of my 350
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #89
Why J?
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knoxville Tn
Posts: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
71 1/2 - 69 = 2 1/2




Hahaha Look s awesome man. Can't wait to see it test fitted. I really wish I had gotten a 5.3 instead of my 350
Yea it is 2.5". Stupid IPhone keypad, that's what I'll blame it on.

It fits! Couldn't have done it with my helper.



Plenty of clearence at the firewall.


Corvette manifold clear just fine. Drive shaft will be the same length as with the 4.0/ax15/231. Give or take a 1/2" or so. Which surprised me.

So I'll burn in the motor mounts this afternoon and put the motor in for good.
__________________
New Project "Pissed Wife"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #90
HARLEYX2
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 517
Looking good man. Good to know you dont have to move the engine mounts.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.