Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project Pissed Wife Phase II 5.3L Vortec and 4L60e install!

212K views 1K replies 66 participants last post by  august4936 
#1 ·
This is the second phase of my original build ( in my sig) that I finished in 2010. Everything has been great with the rig except for one thing. The power level of the 4.0 has always left me wanting more. Which brings us up to today.

So I stoped by the junkyard to talk with a buddy of mine that runs the sales department. He made me bring this home:

and this:

and these:

It is a 2001 5.3L with a 4L60e and some Tj front drive shafts to elimanate the front disco crap.

I spent a few hours tearing a bunch of crap off the engine along witht the wiring harness and ECU.

The wiring harness is getting sent of tomorrow to get torn apart and a bunch of unneeded emissions sensors deleted. The ECU will also get programed.

Today I ordered an Advance Adapters kit to adapt the 231J to the 4l60e and to add a VSS sensor between the tranny and transfer case.

More to come In the next few weeks. I plan to cover everything with the install.

See less See more
#733 ·
trboxman said:
Where did you source your rebuild parts for the t-case?
I got the seals, fork pads, pump and filter assembly locally. The wide chain and 6 pinion planetary from eBay.

Seller: powertrainpartsplus

Shipped quickly and the parts are awesome. He seems to sell a lot of these kits from my research. He knows his stuff and can get parts for the early and late cut gears.

#738 ·
HARLEYX2 said:
Did they come with loctite on them?
Sorry I really don't remember. I want to say they had something on the threads, what that was I have no idea. The updated GM bolts aren't expensive.

#739 ·
Tonight I got the auto trans out. That was fun by myself! Also got the clutch pedal assembly back in and the master cylinder in with the line for the slave.

I spilled a ton of trans fluid under the Jeep so ill get that cleaned up and start on getting the manual in tomorrow. I took a few measurements and it looks like the stick shift will fall just about in the stock location. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

More to follow. Once I verify the parts I purchased are going to work Ill post up the final parts list with part numbers and vender if needed.

#741 ·
HARLEYX2 said:
The wire in the new harness that Dave done for you labeled starter goes to big or little pole on starter? Or where does it go?
I'm not sure who Dave is but Wayne on Pirate 4x4 did my tune and wiring.

My YJ wiring is handling the starter. I didn't hook anything from the starter to the ECU. Unless you consider the switch 12v going to the ECU.

#743 ·
HARLEYX2 said:
Dave does all Wayne's harnesses.
Ah. I wrote in my note to him that I was using the YJ circuit so maybe he cut that out for me? I do not recall having a starter wire at all.

Ask Wayne.

#745 ·
Cajun90YJ said:
Do you have any pics of the lokar shift linkage rod, I an trying to get mine in and I am not too happy with the fit.
No sorry I don't. I sold my Lokar shifter to Texasblackdirt. Maybe he will chime in with a pic.

Basically I z'd it around the PNP switch. Goodie Ls jeep install. There is a guy that did a swap in a tab YJ. Dd mine like his. Let me look and see if I can find it for you.

#747 ·
You know, one thing that always bothers me about these build threads is that you (the reader) gets involved. Well not that you get involved, follow me here.

You offer tips, suggestions or questions. Or maybe you just lurk and follow along reading this to build your own junk.

But rarely do you have a face to put with that build. The person you are working with let's say. I have sold several of you parts, some I sent stuff for free. Whatever.

So this is me, man beard and all. The weird thing I don't smoke. Except when I'm working on my rig. Don't no why but that's what I do.

For whatever reason it's sideways.

Attachments

#748 ·
Cajun90YJ said:
Do you have any pics of the lokar shift linkage rod, I an trying to get mine in and I am not too happy with the fit.
Like why j just said, I bought it from him. It will be a good while before its bolted up. If pics of it, straight out of the box would be any help, I'll take some. I guess I need a photobucket account to link them on here since I am a free member here, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why j, I haven't shaved since October of 2011, and don't plan on it for the next 4 years. I'm worried about losing a big patch of it in a horrendous welding fire, or my wife cutting it off on a drunken night. I have the duck dynasty look currently, but I'm on my way to a more prestigious, zz top look.

#753 ·
I got it installed, I was wanting to see the allthread rod, how it was bent. I have the shifter installed in the most rearward position and the mini heim on the shifter end is hitting the transmission. I bent the rod and have it working but it feels kinda bindie, just not smooth. I may take the original shift arm and modify it so the rod is straight or rebend the rod some other way. I just moved on to another area for the time being, gonna think on it for a while.

#751 ·
texasblackdirt said:
Like why j just said, I bought it from him. It will be a good while before its bolted up. If pics of it, straight out of the box would be any help, I'll take some. I guess I need a photobucket account to link them on here since I am a free member here, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why j, I haven't shaved since October of 2011, and don't plan on it for the next 4 years. I'm worried about losing a big patch of it in a horrendous welding fire, or my wife cutting it off on a drunken night. I have the duck dynasty look currently, but I'm on my way to a more prestigious, zz top look.
I grow mine out every year Nov 1 till spring break. My wife hates it with a passion.

I use a full face welding shield to protect my beard. Nothing ruins a night like a face fire.

#752 ·
Why J? said:
I grow mine out every year Nov 1 till spring break. My wife hates it with a passion.

I use a full face welding shield to protect my beard. Nothing ruins a night like a face fire.
Well when I'm grinding occasionally the sparks bounce off my shirt and up towards the face. I have singed a few whiskers but so far so good. Lol, yeah I have already let no shave November pass me by twice. My wife likes it, but she is evil when she drinks, so!

#757 ·
It's coming along. I have everything I need except for the bellhousing to block bolts. Novak designed the adapter plate to use all studs with nuts to mate the bell with the block. I think thats is a stupid design so I ordered some bolts that will be here on Monday. I spent last night mocking everything up and measuring to make sure everything is going to work. I am fairly confident it will.

I have taking it slow and taking a lot of pictures to post up here.

#758 ·
Cool **** dude thats nice i think you will be happy with the 3550 atleast from the experiance i had with one. If i remember right you bought a new one? i cant remember with out fishin through posts again. I just fabbed up a nice shifter for a guy out of 7000 series solid round stock aluminum for guy while i was in school i put it on the lathe tapered it threaded it and had the cad guys mill a ball of stainless and then had the plastic technology boys use ther laser etcher and put the shift pattern on it and then i bent it with the press the way guy wanted it then buffed it out. If i was still in school i would do one for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.