Project Pandora - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Pandora

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #91
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
Go hard or go home Ethan, methinks the only option for the rear is a 4-link. But I am not sure where to go with the front...time to start researching. I'll be looking at a lot of other builds now for ideas and sending things your way for a final decision.
Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. We can sell the old arms and make some of the money back at least. Alright, I've been looking around also and found some neat concepts, but can't make up my mind.

Here are the creeper joints I found:
Suspension - Creeper joints Rod ends Shackle Mounts

Tommy R's custom long arm build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/l...20/index4.html

Nother build from Pirate:
TJ build #3 (rockwells) - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

That cage looks great man!! Really adds alot.

ET48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #92
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I just read Tommy's build. Freaking awesome. Almost exactly what I pictured when I ran through how a build like this would go if we did it. I would love to get more detailed information about his mounts and his truss.

His front LCA mounts are angled I believe...to what angle? And what specs did he build his truss to? Height, width, uca mount location and angle, etc etc.

I'm going to ask him

I am now going to start reading the pirate build.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #93
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok I just read Tommy's build. Freaking awesome. Almost exactly what I pictured when I ran through how a build like this would go if we did it. I would love to get more detailed information about his mounts and his truss.

His front LCA mounts are angled I believe...to what angle? And what specs did he build his truss to? Height, width, uca mount location and angle, etc etc.

I'm going to ask him

I am now going to start reading the pirate build.
Pretty neat thread huh? I would probably go with DOM tubing though, it would look way better.
Yah, details would be sweet. He has the same 4.5" lift as us so everything should be very close.
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #94
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok the pirate one had too much **** in it that I couldn't wrap my brain around lol. It's too involved. But it doesn't look like a front 4-link is much of an option. Too much time and trouble...

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #95
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET48 View Post
Pretty neat thread huh? I would probably go with DOM tubing though, it would look way better.
Yah, details would be sweet. He has the same 4.5" lift as us so everything should be very close.
DOM tubing for sure, but that shouldn't change anything. I really like his set-up and think it would work very well if we went that direction.

Also doesn't look TOO difficult, I think we could make that happen over winter break on both Jeeps pretty easily. Oh and I can't weld...lol

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #96
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok the pirate one had too much **** in it that I couldn't wrap my brain around lol. It's too involved. But it doesn't look like a front 4-link is much of an option. Too much time and trouble...
Yeah, that one was a big long build.

I think the front LCAs with the radius arms and track bar would work great. Tri 4 link should also work great in the rear. I wouldn't think it would be too unrealistic to get both jeeps done as long as we had everything ready to go. I'll do all the welding. Maybe I can borrow a MIG from my uncle.
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #97
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Radius arm in the front and 4-link rear seems to be the most popular choice among the homebrew LAs.

I think if we follow Tommy's build as close as possible, we can build our control arms to whatever spec we need to keep our pinion angle/caster all the same. Also would you rather go JJ on the lowers at both ends?

If we can get a tally on all the parts, and a price that we'd be looking at I could start saving for this.

Selling our control arms is a plus. (I'm getting new bushings soon from RE as a warranty replacement)

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #98
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Radius arm in the front and 4-link rear seems to be the most popular choice among the homebrew LAs.

I think if we follow Tommy's build as close as possible, we can build our control arms to whatever spec we need to keep our pinion angle/caster all the same. Also would you rather go JJ on the lowers at both ends?

If we can get a tally on all the parts, and a price that we'd be looking at I could start saving for this.

Selling our control arms is a plus. (I'm getting new bushings soon from RE as a warranty replacement)
I might do something different where the rear LCAs attach to the frame. Something different with the skid. If we went with double JJs, it could give us twice the adjustment range if we made both ends adjustable, although it will raise the cost some.

So if we need JJs for 4 LCA both ends, and 2 UCAs one end each that comes to 6 Johnny or Creeper joints. At $33 a piece, that is $198 for the JJs.

We could get jam nuts and fasteners at the local fastener shop;
Need to get some grinding wheels and some cut off wheels
Got torches
Got lincoln buzbox
Got welding rods
Need some 1/4" sheet steel and DOM tubing.

By the end I could see our project running $500 overall for each jeep. Not too bad for home brew stuff.
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #99
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I might do something different where the rear LCAs attach to the frame. Something different with the skid. If we went with double JJs, it could give us twice the adjustment range if we made both ends adjustable, although it will raise the cost some.

So if we need JJs for 4 LCA both ends, and 2 UCAs one end each that comes to 6 Johnny or Creeper joints. At $33 a piece, that is $198 for the JJs.

We could get jam nuts and fasteners at the local fastener shop;
Need to get some grinding wheels and some cut off wheels
Got torches
Got lincoln buzbox
Got welding rods
Need some 1/4" sheet steel and DOM tubing.

By the end I could see our project running $500 overall for each jeep. Not too bad for home brew stuff.
I have a few grinding wheels and cut-offs laying around my garage, unused.

My math is adding up different.

front LCAs: 4
front UCAs: 2
rear LCAs: 4
rear UCAs: 4
right? so 12?... holy ****.
Wonder if we can score a sweet deal somewhere on DOM and 1/4" sheet...

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #100
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I have a few grinding wheels and cut-offs laying around my garage, unused.

My math is adding up different.

front LCAs: 4
front UCAs: 2
rear LCAs: 4
rear UCAs: 4
right? so 12?... holy ****.
Wonder if we can score a sweet deal somewhere on DOM and 1/4" sheet...
What the heck was I thinking......

No 14 isn't? Maybe we should only use one JJ per arm? Be alot cheaper and it would flex just as good, as Tommy proved for us.
I might be able to get some sheet steel and DOM. We need to plan what material we want and I will check on some pricing.
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #101
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Look at this:
Toys by Troy Suspension - 1

The rear center link is interesting. One attachment point on the truss but two on the frame. Not sure if I like it though....
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #102
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What the heck was I thinking......

No 14 isn't? Maybe we should only use one JJ per arm? Be alot cheaper and it would flex just as good, as Tommy proved for us.
I might be able to get some sheet steel and DOM. We need to plan what material we want and I will check on some pricing.
Yes. One per. Just like our RE arms. They flex good. My god that would have been crazy expensive.

It looks like in Tommy's he uses 10.
One per arm in the front: 4
One per LCA in rear: 2
Two per UCA in rear: 4

So $330 for JJ if that is the case.

I know a guy who works in a welding shop, I'll see if they have any scrap 1/4" we can snag.

I'm re-reading Tommy's build...

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #103
RickHonzaRubicn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i like the herculiner man. did the same to mine i love the fact my floorboard by my trans isnt so hot anymore. jeep looks good man
RickHonzaRubicn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #104
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Look at this:
Toys by Troy Suspension - 1

The rear center link is interesting. One attachment point on the truss but two on the frame. Not sure if I like it though....
Weird, not a fan.

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #105
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHonzaRubicn View Post
i like the herculiner man. did the same to mine i love the fact my floorboard by my trans isnt so hot anymore. jeep looks good man
Thanks for the compliments man. Herculiner is one of my favorite mods.

Quote:

Tags
indyorv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.