Project P.O. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project P.O.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Project P.O.

Ho'ok So, Here's my new Jeep. Chilling. Damn that is a pretty sweet Tj you might say? WRONG. Ok well I've been on here for a fair while now and just never really did anything cool enough to post up.... until now

Lil history first. Grabbed my first Xj when I was in high school and rocked the piss outta it in stock form until a few years ago when my buddy and myself tossed on a 2" and I grabbed some winter tires. Its still sitting back home with 140 on the clock and next to no rust. When I was 21 I moved to Massachusetts with my brother and found a 97 Tj out there with the 4.0/ax15 combo for 3500. So needless to say I had a blast with the little guy and got to get good with a short wheelbase and manual off roading. Ended up selling it when I moved back to Michigan due to the payments, still probably one of the things I kick myself over the most, but the beauty of the Jeep in the mitten state is they hold retarded amounts of value so I came out ahead at least.

About this time year I got some itchy feet again and decided to pack my bags and hit the road, Had a few buddys out in Boom town USA so I pointed west and drove into the sun set. Been out here for about a year and finally got around to getting something going.

I've been looking around since the start of the year for something to sink my teeth into and really get going but its been pretty slim pickings round these parts Jeep wize. Thought about a biting the bullet and pulling trigger on a new Rubiwagon, finding a 100k XJ limited, or just a TJ with like 50k to keep and build for a while. As things would have it none of those really panned out, but found this beast in town here. Price was right, it was 5min away as opposed to 1200mi away, and the guy didn't really care about price so much just as it went to a good home.

And here we are. 2001 TJ 4.0 with 141k, AW4, Dana 30 open, Dana 35 locked, 4.10s, Metal Cloak fronts, Smittybuild rears, Warn 8000, Light Force lights, new radiator, T-case drop and SYE, some short arm lift I haven't figured out yet, and studded 33x10.5 KM2s. And all for 6800, I mean really, how the hell do you pass that up?

Then I kinda hit some mud behind my work..... Who knew the smittybilt 3.75" rear fenders don't really provide all that much coverage.

So yeah that's where I'm at so far. Lemme know any thoughts or input if you want, so far I'm stuck to my phone for a camera but might pull trigger on a solid camera in a bit here.

Sofar plans include rear flairs with more coverage like 6" MC or something, New tires to save these studded ones for next winter, and start looking into a 8.8/44 for the rear. And going to try and figure a snorkel down the road here as well.

tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

OK so I may need some insight here if anyone has any to give.

I'm probably going to jump to 37/38s and am going to need to pull the 35 before doing so.... That being said I still haven't figured out what route I want to go yet. I have a line on a set of kingpin 60s from a 78 ford, 4.10 gears and disk breaks all the way around for 1500 to the bed of my pickup. I know its going to be a lotta work to shorten them down to get it to a more manageable width, Id rather have a wider than stock wheelbase but not sure if I want to run them full width. Just kinda looks goofy IMHO.

That being said:

I know a 8.8 is cheap and easy but my thoughts are if I'm going to do it... Do it right the first time and never have to worry about it down the road again. I picked up a Miller Bobcat and am starting to get the hang of stick so fabing anything wouldn't scare me off all that much. I'll have all winter to work on them and want to get everything wrapped up by spring to hit the Easter Moab Safari, might be a long shot but gives me motivation.

I've read some H1 wheels will help tuck the tires closer in to the tub makeing running the 60s not so obtrusive in daily use, but they would still be out a bit more than I'm hopein for. I know once I jump to 37+ a stretch would be in order so I'm thinking adj longarms would be in the same time frame. I'm not opposed to going for a set of crate 60s if it comes down to it but just seeing 3k an axle kinda makes me cringe.

Anyone have some hands on with any kind of 60 swap and what they wish they would have done differently?

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
Unread 09-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for kingpin advise?

Unread 11-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, Well since this thread has been such a plethora of good advice I'll keep on it.

I passed on the set of 60s I had a lead on & probably gunna cheap out and find a 31 spline 8.8 with 4.10s. Untill the price of oil goes back up I'm going to keep it somewhat mild.

Anyone have advise on a good 35" MTR thats good in the snow?

Also I cant decide what sliders to shoot for...

Unread 11-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #5
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
Ok, Well since this thread has been such a plethora of good advice I'll keep on it.

I passed on the set of 60s I had a lead on & probably gunna cheap out and find a 31 spline 8.8 with 4.10s. Untill the price of oil goes back up I'm going to keep it somewhat mild.

Anyone have advise on a good 35" MTR thats good in the snow?

Also I cant decide what sliders to shoot for...
My vote(s) are BFG KM2 and Rokmen sliders. Love the BFGs and pretty sure the Rokmens have inside tub support.

Guna truss the 8.8 then?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not a bad call on the Rokmen rails. They look solid enough for anything I'd throw at em and if I needed to trim anything to make them fit with the Metal Cloaks it wouldn't cut to close to the mounting points.

I have a set of 33x10.5 KM2s and liked them, took them off for the summer to save the studs but they still got wore down a good bit. Any idea what kind of life expedience one could expect outta a set miles wise?

And if I can find one in decent shape it may be worth it to keep it around a while. I really don't to anything to crazy with the skinny pedal but if nothing else it would be a good excuse to get better with stick welding.

Unread 11-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
Not a bad call on the Rokmen rails. They look solid enough for anything I'd throw at em and if I needed to trim anything to make them fit with the Metal Cloaks it wouldn't cut to close to the mounting points.

I have a set of 33x10.5 KM2s and liked them, took them off for the summer to save the studs but they still got wore down a good bit. Any idea what kind of life expedience one could expect outta a set miles wise?

And if I can find one in decent shape it may be worth it to keep it around a while. I really don't to anything to crazy with the skinny pedal but if nothing else it would be a good excuse to get better with stick welding.
I know you can get a decent 8.8 by me for 100 bucks or less all day and all night. And like you said it would make a great welding project, especially with the housings and such being cast.

I have a set of BFGs on my JK and have had almost 45,000 on em and still going. It's vital that you rotate them though or you will be dead. They still have at least 10,000 more easy.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
Unread 11-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, do you think it'ed be worth it to spring for their Kevlar variant? There pretty spendy but probably worth it in the long run.

And for welding carbon to cast, its good that I work at a welding shop. Cant beat the info and for what I can buy supplies at...

So far its been in the mid teens out here and we have all of 2 junk yards to root threw so it may be a bit yet until I can find something worth pulling trigger on. Also going to start tearing into my truck on the weekends to rebuild/ restore it, should be good tho.

Unread 11-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't buy Kevlar just because my tires have worked very well in sharp rocks, all temps, and terrains. I think the normal variant is ok.

And if you have a shop, I say do it!

1998 TJ Sahara Sold

1994 YJ SE Sold

1960 Willys Wagon

-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.