JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Builds (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/)
-   -   Project Olive Oil (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-olive-oil-1253615/)

stinkbait87 08-16-2011 12:02 PM

Project Olive Oil

7 Attachment(s)
Bought this '97 back in 2006 with 150,000 miles, 4 inch lift, quick disconnects, and 31's. It was navy blue back when I first got it.

Currently:
Motor: 4.0 liter
Transmission: AX-15
Transfer Case: NP 231
Exaust: Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad changed to Magnaflow
Cold Air Intake: AEM Brute
Front Axle: LP Dana 30 w/ 3.73 gears and lunchbox locker
Rear Axle: Dana 35 w/ 3.73 gears and open dif
Steering: Rusty's Tie Rod
Tires: 33x12.50 Pro Comp All Terrains/ 33x12.50 Super Swamper TSL's
Wheels: Pro Comp Series 52
Front Bumper: Blue torch fab
Rear Bumper: Taboo Customs Bumper with tire swing
Rocker Guards: Aluminum Diamond Plate
Skid Plates: Stock Gas Tank, EMP Power Steering and Radiator
Tailights: LED's
Exterior: Gillespie Paints AJP WWII Semi Gloss
Interior: Monstalined, Bestop sear covers, Custom pedals, Hand Throttle, B&M Shifter Handle

Parts Uninstalled:
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch: Done
EMP Gas Tank Skid Plate: Done
Currie Antirock: Done
Custom Front Bumper (in Development) pretty much done, like it but I'll probably sell it.
Ford 8.8 (In process of Rebuild)
Tube Fenders
3 inch Savvy Springs (installed)

Future Plans:
-Stretch rear about 6 inches
-Regear to 4.88
-Install 8.8 and new 30
-Install tube fenders (can't decide if I still want to mess with highlines. Might go for something like a Chris Durham hood if I do.)
-Install Strech Corners/Rockers
-Tummy Tuck
-Tom Woods Drive Shafts
-Fuel Cell ( might do a genright tank instead)
-Selectable Lockers
-More Cage ( maybe a full cage from poison spyder)
-Super 88 Kit
-Anti Rock Sway Bar for the rear
-35 inch all terrains for the road and 35 inch ltb's of Q78s for the trail
-Not sure what front axle I want to do, I'm thinking pretty strongly about a hp30 for the front and sticking to about a 35 inch tire to save money and I imagine that by the time that you put a bigger axle under there I would spend a lot of money and the change in ground clearance under the dif would be neglegable. If a hp 44 or nine inch was affordable I would go for it.

Optiskate 08-16-2011 04:39 PM

Looks good so far, but why leafs in the rear? Artec make a pretty bad *** little truss system to swap an 8.8 into a TJ. http://www.artecindustries.com/TJ-88...uss_p_233.html

I know you want some wheel base stretch as well. You could do all sorts of cool things with that truss, like remove your upper mounts and track bar mount and put some triangulated upper mounts on the top of the truss. Perhaps run GenRight's single triangulated frame brackets and stretch away. You have lots of options and if you can do the fab to make leafs work, then you could do a link suspension as well.

stinkbait87 08-16-2011 05:37 PM

that looks like a cool option, leaves I believe I just a cheaper option at this point. If you build a good 4 link the ends alone are pretty expensive. Also actually doing the geometry and getting it right is pretty daunting. I know there is alot of sites that tell you how to do it, but I'm not going to believe how easy it is until some every day joe that has done it and done it right tells me so. Leaves are much more point and shoot and there are several guys on here (Gribble, and Red Smoke) that have done the rear leaf stretch and love it. They say that there jeeps ride better than ever.

Optiskate 08-16-2011 09:34 PM

I hear you there. Simplicity is often the best route, especially if you're unsure about your other options. The only thing that truss really has going is that if you keep your stock suspension geometry (pre stretch) and its a cheap solution to getting that 8.8 under the Jeep.

What route are you going with your leafs? SOA, SUA, which springs, ect? I'm interested to see which way you go.

You still undecided on a front axle?

Sgt.Fuzz 08-17-2011 04:04 AM

I like the color.

stinkbait87 08-17-2011 08:04 AM

thanks I am pretty satisfied with the color, its not a show vehicle but I like it. I'm thinking I'm probably going to do sua with cherokee leaves. I've been told you get less axle wrap with sua. Yeah still don't know what route I'm going with the front. It will probably depend on how big of a tire I decide to go to and what kind of opportunities I come upon with used axles honestly.

Optiskate 08-17-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkbait87 (Post 12035226)
thanks I am pretty satisfied with the color, its not a show vehicle but I like it. I'm thinking I'm probably going to do sua with cherokee leaves. I've been told you get less axle wrap with sua. Yeah still don't know what route I'm going with the front. It will probably depend on how big of a tire I decide to go to and what kind of opportunities I come upon with used axles honestly.

Theres a lot to consider when you're looking for an axle. If you're going to go big enough to need the D60, even in stock form, then toss that 8.8 in favor if a rear 60. They're cheap... I have two. :laugh: Are you comfortable with narrowing an axle or at least spending the money to do so? You could beef up a 44 enough to handle a 38 if you needed to. You'd just have to find the right 44 to start with and then proceed to dump obscene amounts of cash. It then comes down to, can you find the right D44 cheap enough? If you get a smoking deal on the axle and parts, then why not, but if you don't you'll be well over the price of a front D60. Theres lots to think about.

Another thing to consider is availability. For example, I was looking for a 78-79' D60 for a long time. Shipping to get it shipped was out of the question because it was crazy expensive and I locally they are pretty rare. The ones that were around were stupid expensive because every one knew what they had. So I settled for a 79' 250 HP44 because I found it for dirt cheap. So long story short, theres a lot to take into consideration when just trying to find an axle. The price on axles starts going through the roof when you add shipping. Or any drive train part for that matter (I paid $400 in shipping for my v8). Just one more thing to consider.

stinkbait87 08-17-2011 05:09 PM

Don't know if I want to mess with narrowing an axle and having to mess with custom shafts. We'll see though. Nothing too exciting about working on the jeep this week. Changed some curroded spark plugs and put on all new wires, distributor cap and rotar. Going to try to service my transmission and transfer case tommarow. I used Bosch platinum plus plugs and bosch wires. The old girl has 183,000 miles on her now. Should be getting my cb tommarow to install so I can get ready for a trail ride with the Two Rivers Jeep Club on Saturday.

stinkbait87 08-19-2011 07:24 AM

Got the cb installed, was pretty easy except for the wiring. I'm not real fermiliar with eletrical work, we'll see how it goes.

bigred04 08-20-2011 12:19 PM

Love the color...especially the flat paint

Zmuda01 08-20-2011 12:34 PM

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...a014153d62.jpg

Optiskate 08-20-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkbait87 (Post 12037967)
Don't know if I want to mess with narrowing an axle and having to mess with custom shafts. We'll see though. Nothing too exciting about working on the jeep this week. Changed some curroded spark plugs and put on all new wires, distributor cap and rotar. Going to try to service my transmission and transfer case tommarow. I used Bosch platinum plus plugs and bosch wires. The old girl has 183,000 miles on her now. Should be getting my cb tommarow to install so I can get ready for a trail ride with the Two Rivers Jeep Club on Saturday.

I hear ya there. Custom shafts would suck. That's why mine 44/60 are staying full width. Better to be able to use an off the shelf shaft and have the possibility of other people having trail spares if you do end up breaking your spares than to just have to flat out order a new custom set of shafts. The more simple the better too.

stinkbait87 08-23-2011 07:19 PM

Wheeling went good this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a few pics up. Didn't do anything to wild but it was still a good time. Next thing to work on is trying to get my monstaliner installed this weekend I'll try to take pics.

greenfeet 08-30-2011 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 273594

greenfeet 08-30-2011 08:54 PM

Nice color. Mine sits on 2 1/2" with no BL. Looking forward to your build.

The time now is 07:13 PM.