Project NW Explorer II: 2003 Overland WJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project NW Explorer II: 2003 Overland WJ

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #46
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Does the LJ get a build thread too?
Bwahhahahaahahaha

__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #47
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler
 
platinum5.9's Avatar
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Olean, New York
Posts: 1,872
You keeping the wj or is that a thing of the past?
__________________
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #48
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
And a V8....


If I did a V8 swap, it would be a ways off after the rest of the build is "done".
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
Oh good lord.
You are worse then me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post



Bwahhahahaahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum5.9 View Post
You keeping the wj or is that a thing of the past?
I tried to give it to my girlfriend, but she's attached to her WJ, so it's going away to fund the new build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
So you'll keep it simple with 35's right?
That is what I should do. I would love to stretch it and put it on 40's like poison spyder's daddy long legs build, but that would be very expensive and making something fit 40's and making it narrow enough to fit though one of my favorite wheeling areas that has a 80" max width would be tough.

So that leaves me with 35's or 37's. 35's would be cheaper on wheels and tires. I would probably do a super 8.8 rear with a HPD30 or a 76 F150 HPD44 and 9" rear with some goodies. Maybe even JK44's if I can find some cheap enough.

I would also like to stretch the rear for better departure angle. That's the one thing I needed in Moab, I was constantly hanging up on the back end but the breakover seemed fine.
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #49
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post

I would also like to stretch the rear for better departure angle. That's the one thing I needed in Moab, I was constantly hanging up on the back end but the breakover seemed fine.
I dont think its going to be as big of a problem as you think . Rory and I met up with the JF guys in Moab this summer for a week of wheeling . Rory's LJ is almost identical to mine except for the 35s he had versus my 33s. We both took similar lines and he never hit a thing on the rear yet I would hit the D ring hangers on steep drop offs . After swearing I would stay on 33s for driveability , I am on 35s after that trip . It drives just as nice now , and I should have all the departure I need for the wheeling I do .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #50
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post

Funny how a trip to Moab can change your goals.
I've made 6 trips to Moab and my jeep changed after EVERY single one. "Man, if I just had a longer wheelbase, I could crawl that obstacle", "Dude... I keep getting hung up on my belly pan, if I only had a belly up", If I did that much on 35"s, what would happen on 37"s?"... and on and on .

The wife and I would literally break down the entire trip on our drive back to Denver discussing how we could improve. Moab is a hell of a drug.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #51
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I dont think its going to be as big of a problem as you think . Rory and I met up with the JF guys in Moab this summer for a week of wheeling . Rory's LJ is almost identical to mine except for the 35s he had versus my 33s. We both took similar lines and he never hit a thing on the rear yet I would hit the D ring hangers on steep drop offs . After swearing I would stay on 33s for driveability , I am on 35s after that trip . It drives just as nice now , and I should have all the departure I need for the wheeling I do .
That's good to know. Did you guys hit area BFE? I would like to do that without too much drama.

I suppose the thinking man's budget build would be 35's on 15" wheels, HPD30, 2 inch ish lift on short arms, 1.25" body lift with MML, flat belly, front non-highline tube fenders, lockers and alloy shafts. I wish the D30 went deeper than 4.88... Maybe a D44 will fall into my lap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
I've made 6 trips to Moab and my jeep changed after EVERY single one. "Man, if I just had a longer wheelbase, I could crawl that obstacle", "Dude... I keep getting hung up on my belly pan, if I only had a belly up", If I did that much on 35"s, what would happen on 37"s?"... and on and on .

The wife and I would literally break down the entire trip on our drive back to Denver discussing how we could improve. Moab is a hell of a drug.
I'm trying not to get the "build to be able to do every last thing there is without pulling cable" because I think that takes some of the challenge away. Plus the bigger you build, the less fun it is to drive on the road.

I know exactly what you mean though. A Moab trip really isn't that expensive. A trip back from Moab, that costs a fortune!
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #52
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
That's good to know. Did you guys hit area BFE? I would like to do that without too much drama.

I suppose the thinking man's budget build would be 35's on 15" wheels, HPD30, 2 inch ish lift on short arms, 1.25" body lift with MML, flat belly, front non-highline tube fenders, lockers and alloy shafts. I wish the D30 went deeper than 4.88... Maybe a D44 will fall into my lap?
I am at ~2" of lift and 35s on my LJ. I think you will need highlines and completely flat belly make take cutting into the tub or black magic. Mine hangs 3/4" below the frame with UCF high clearance setup.

I don't subscribe to black magic or deals with the devil for jeep parts.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 37s

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #53
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post

I suppose the thinking man's budget build would be 35's on 15" wheels, HPD30, 2 inch ish lift on short arms, 1.25" body lift with MML, flat belly, front non-highline tube fenders, lockers and alloy shafts. I wish the D30 went deeper than 4.88... Maybe a D44 will fall into my lap?


My old TJ.

HP30 with alloy shafts and Trutrac
Superior Super35 with detroit
AW4 swap
Belly up
2.5" RC springs
1" BL
35's on 15" beadlocks


It went everywhere and just plain worked.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...-build-861944/


__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #54
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I am at ~2" of lift and 35s on my LJ. I think you will need highlines and completely flat belly make take cutting into the tub or black magic. Mine hangs 3/4" below the frame with UCF high clearance setup.

I don't subscribe to black magic or deals with the devil for jeep parts.
I thought 2.5"SL plus 1.25"BL plus standard tube fenders was the norm for 35's? (not that I've ever gone that direction). I had 35's on highlines and 3" total lift and it looked funny with how much space it had between the fender and tire.
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #55
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
My old TJ.

HP30 with alloy shafts and Trutrac
Superior Super35 with detroit
AW4 swap
Belly up
2.5" RC springs
1" BL
35's on 15" beadlocks


It went everywhere and just plain worked.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...-build-861944/


That's exactly what I'm talking about. The next step to 37's seems way more expensive and a lot more work. I think if I did the 35" route, I could have it done before I hated enough to sell it again.
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #56
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I thought 2.5"SL plus 1.25"BL plus standard tube fenders was the norm for 35's? (not that I've ever gone that direction). I had 35's on highlines and 3" total lift and it looked funny with how much space it had between the fender and tire.
Nothing I do is standard. I feel the same way you do about that extra 1", but feeling go away when you try to fit it all in there. I wanted 1" of lift total but it wasnt in the cards.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 37s

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #57
JeepinAaron
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 248
AH! Nice LJ. Back when you got rid of the TJ-6 you were describing what you wanted out of your 4x4. It made me think a lot of what my goals with my LJ were. When my wife and I discussed having a child, we upgraded from the TJ to an LJ for a more "family" oriented vehicle.

I did like that WJ though, you have good taste in vehicles.
__________________
2003 WJ Laredo
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wj-off-road-minivan-2346505/#post22320625
JeepinAaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #58
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The next step to 37's seems way more expensive and a lot more work. I think if I did the 35" route, I could have it done before I hated enough to sell it again.
It was my DD as well. I loved that Jeep and never should have sold it. That was a great setup. Only thing I would have added was 5" more to the WB.
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #59
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post




but really tempting ... so nice n clean.
Now don't over do it ... the more small and big cans of worms you open the lower the sell again threshold
__________________
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know"
my LS1 swap build thread
THE cheap progressive bump stop solution
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #60
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAaron View Post
AH! Nice LJ. Back when you got rid of the TJ-6 you were describing what you wanted out of your 4x4. It made me think a lot of what my goals with my LJ were. When my wife and I discussed having a child, we upgraded from the TJ to an LJ for a more "family" oriented vehicle.

I did like that WJ though, you have good taste in vehicles.
I think it would be a lot easier to build a Jeep if my goals weren't unrealistic or a moving target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
It was my DD as well. I loved that Jeep and never should have sold it. That was a great setup. Only thing I would have added was 5" more to the WB.
That Jeep was setup very nice. I love the LJ, good wheelbase stock and more storage room without being a fat big like a JKU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post


but really tempting ... so nice n clean.
Now don't over do it ... the more small and big cans of worms you open the lower the sell again threshold
I'll try to take my time and use a little more patience on this one. That will take quite a bit of will power for sure!

New build thread has begun:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.