Project No Compromises - Update 11/22/10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project No Compromises - Update 11/22/10

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Project No Compromises - Update 11/22/10

Update 11/22/10

Got the Warn winch accessory kit in along with the bumpers and winch...

I meant to grab a picture before we took everything down, but my garage was pretty interesting for a couple days. We had a "custom" paint booth by hanging old sheets around the garage door rails. Here's what remained by the time I remembered to grab a picture:

The installation of the front bumper was relatively easy. The only thing I fabricated was the plastic Jeep cover. This is meant to be taken off when a winch is installed, however, I didn't like the bare look, so I decided I would try to adapt it to work...

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

And onto the winch...

Fished the wires through the bottom of the grille and beside the radiator:

Ran the wires along the inner wheel well and zip tied them in place:

With the neoprene cover:

Onto the rear bumper. This was MUCH more of a headache... and here's the story:
I started out by drilling inside of both frame rails to be able to hold the frame stiffeners on. No problem there. Next, I placed the bumper / tire carrier on my jack and lightly tightened the bottom two support bolts. Here's where the initial problems occurred...

I went on to drill out the crossmember holes for the inner holes of the bumper. My initial attempt to measure, re-measure, and measure again... simply did not work in the end due to two problems. The first was, the holes were slightly mis-aligned; the second problem was, it is almost impossible to get your fingers in between the gas tank skid plate and the crossmember. Even if you were able to contort your fingers enough to thread in the nuts... it's not worth it. Simply drop one side of your gas tank in 10 minutes and the steps are MUCH easier. This may sound hard, but it's not too bad (unless you run into the next problem I faced). If you need any help figuring out how to drop the gas tank down... shoot me a PM. When I was removing my gas tank, all but two of the factory carriage bolts were stripped out. I struggled with this for a while to finally get them removed. Once they were removed, I was able to fully remove the gas tank and it made things 10x easier.

With the tank removed, I ended up just cutting out two vertical lines for the inner bolt holes and then used a 1/4" thick plate on the back to be able to slightly adjust to align with the holes and still maintain strength on the cross member. This worked flawlessly. With all the bumper mounts ready to be bolted up... it was just time to fix the stripped carriage bolts. Instead of just buying more carriage bolts to drop into the square holes, I decided to buy grad 8 replacement bolts. For the front 3 bolts, I used 1/2" thick bolts and had my buddy weld them after I dropped them through the holes.

For the front 4 bolts, I took a 1/4" thick piece of steel and laid it inside the crossmember rail. Since it would not fully lay down due to the two rounded in sections, I used an angle grinder to cut the rounded parts out. My bar then laid down nice and flat. I used white spray paint and sprayed through the factory holes to make my markings of where to drill. I then drilled four 7/16" holes and installed the bar with the nuts and bolts:

My buddy then tack welded the four nuts to the steel bar to keep them in place, and then removed the bar for further welding. Here is the end product:

We then laid the bar back in and he welded the bar into place in the rounded cutouts I had made:

The bumper was then able to be reinstalled... and I'll admit, this did take a little work, as the larger bolts caused the it to be a tight fit. But everything everything fell into place and the project was complete.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Unread 06-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.