Project No Compromises - Update 09/24/11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project No Compromises - Update 09/24/11

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Project No Compromises - Update 09/24/11

Update 09/24/11

Tasks complete:
- Front MetalCloak bumper installed.
- Fixed rear tailgate tightness.
- Bought Delrin door bushings.
- Removed stock door bushings.
- Prepared Gen-Right gas tank for install.
- Made the following order with Gen-Right:
LED Recessed Tail Lights
LED Back Up Lights
5pc Black Hood Louver Set
Bumper Plate for Swing Down Tire Carrier
Inner Reinforcement Plate
Outboard rear frame brackets
MetalCloak bumper install:

Got the Gen-Right gas tank in and got all the tubing switched over. I need to wait to do the rear bumper and french in the outboard shock towers before finalizing the gas tank install.

The tailgate was so hard to open / close that it started rippling the sheet metal in the bottom right. When I first bought it, it required a firm push to close... but over the last year, and especially here recently, it had gotten to the point that you had to put some muscle into it. I had a couple thoughts of how I could fix it, but after reading some forums, it looked like there was some success with lubricating the pins using. Most people start off by just trying some PB Blaster... if that doesn't work then move onto PB Blaster + a heat gun to open the pores in the metal.... if that doesn't work, drill two 1/8" holes on each hinge and spray in PB Blaster.... and if that doesn't work, replace the hinges.

Well, I jumped straight to drill two 1/8" holes on each hinge, sprayed in a lot of PB Blaster, and worked the door for a few minutes. It instantly improved and steadily improved even more as I kept going. I finally got it to the point that I didn't see any further improvement and could almost shut the door from a full open position simply by giving it a nudge.

I then applied white lithium grease and worked that in for a few minutes. I could now actually get the door fully closed when it was fully opened by giving it the slight nudge. Amazing!

Here are some vids showing the different steps:

Since I was in maintenance mode, I decided to buy some Delrin door bushings from Black Magic Brakes co-op sales (http://blackmagicbrakes.com/Jeep_Co-Op.php). While waiting on them to arrive, I went ahead and knocked out the old bushings. What a PITA, but I figured out a way that was pretty good and only took about 15 minutes:
- Use a screw driver and a mallet and knock in the top edges of the metal bushing:

- Once all edges are folded in, use the screw driver and loosen up the edges of the bushing.

- Spray in PB Blaster and then hit a larger flat head screw driver straight down on the middle of where the metal is folded in. It should come out easily (figuratively speaking) and in one piece.

- Final step is to remove the gunk off the top of the hinge:

- You can verify the new Delrin bushing will sit in properly if you can slide a 7/16" bolt into the hole and not catch on anything. It should just drop straight down:

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi, I was amazed how easy your tailgate closed after drilling the holes and PB Blasting, my tailgate is identical to how yours was. Could you please tell me exactly where you drilled the holes, I'd like to try this. Thanking you in advance.

P.S. Your build is great, I'm following along, keep up the great work.
tsstoudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsstoudt View Post
Hi, I was amazed how easy your tailgate closed after drilling the holes and PB Blasting, my tailgate is identical to how yours was. Could you please tell me exactly where you drilled the holes, I'd like to try this. Thanking you in advance.

P.S. Your build is great, I'm following along, keep up the great work.
Dang, just realized that I took a closeup picture of the holes, but somehow forgot to upload it. When I get home tonight, I will try to remember to post it.

Anyway, the drilling of the holes is VERY easy. I just took a 1/8" drill bit and drilled the holes on the inner edge of each hinge about a 1/4" or so from the top and bottom. It doesn't have to be exactly 1/4", just don't get it too close to the edges. As you are drilling, continually pull the drill bit out and inspect the hole. It will be a shiny metal through the hinge... and as soon as you hit the pin it will be black looking. When you see it turn black, make sure its not just a pin sized hole that's black, you want the majority of the 1/8" hole to be black.

The 1/8" hole is large enough to fit the straw of the PB Blaster into it and give it a good spray. After spraying it, make sure to work the door all the way in and out. Keep working the door until you see no more improvement, and then do the same with the white lithium grease.

Finally, you'll be at the point I'm at: the door works great, but now you have two holes on each hinge which can easily allow more elements to reach the pins. My plan is to take black silicon, which when dry is just like rubber, and fill in the holes. Later down the road, you can either pull the rubber-like "plugs" out... or just drill through the silicon.

Again, I'll try to post some pics of the hinge holes tonight... before and after I fill them with silicon.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Unread 09-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Let a guy win one little TJOTM contest, and he suddenly thinks he needs two build threads. Geez.
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Let a guy win one little TJOTM contest, and he suddenly thinks he needs two build threads. Geez.
Now now Fuzz, you know that TJOTM entitles you to many more threads than just two...

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 09-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi, thank you for the write up on freeing up the tailgate hinges. My tailgate now works so much easier I can't believe it's the same tailgate. Again thanks and goodluck with your build, I'm definitely going to follow it, maybe I can learn a few more things to make the Jeep closer to beginner trail ready.
tsstoudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsstoudt View Post
Hi, thank you for the write up on freeing up the tailgate hinges. My tailgate now works so much easier I can't believe it's the same tailgate. Again thanks and goodluck with your build, I'm definitely going to follow it, maybe I can learn a few more things to make the Jeep closer to beginner trail ready.
Thanks man... I appreciate the props. Sorry I never got around to posting those pics. Here is one of the holes I drilled... I never have gotten around to siliconing the holes... I'll update with another pic once I get it done.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73 View Post
Now now Fuzz, you know that TJOTM entitles you to many more threads than just two...

Touche........although I should point out that several of those threads were posted BEFORE you won tjotm.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.