Project No Compromises - Update 03/08/11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project No Compromises - Update 03/08/11

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Project No Compromises - Update 03/08/11

Update 03/08/11

Alright, so the lift took a LOT longer to fully complete then I originally hoped... but hey, it's done and was worth it. We started this project on Feb. 18th, completed the lift install on Feb. 25th, got the exhaust taken care of on Feb. 28th, and then the full alignment done on March 8th.

I was planning on going to a friend thats a professional fabricator up in Knoxville, TN... however, a last minute death in the family caused that plan to go out the window. The new plan was to borrow a friends 175A MIG 240V welder and use gas and just do it ourselves. That plan also went out the window when I realized that my 240 plugin was not the same and also the wiring did not have near the amount of proper amperage. So as a last resort, we used a 100A MIG 120V with flux core which is rated up to 1/4" and then just did two passes on everything. It's not the sexiest welds or ideal welder, but it'll hold just fine.

With all that said, let's get on to the build.

Pics of everything being unboxed (7 boxes from Clayton, weighing ~35 lbs. a piece):

Disconnecting everything from the front axle:

The stock shocks were a PITA to get out. The nuts on the top were over-torqued, and the little grooves on the side to hold the rod from moving was stripped VERY easily. Two vise grips were used, plus a drive extension was used on an impact gun to finally get the nut off. Even at that, the nut just finally busted off.

Once the everything was off, it was time to finally get some things put on... starting with the trackbar mount. Looks great!

The new shocks are designed WAY better. Simply slide a ratcheting wrench on the top nut, put a allen key in the center of the top nut, hold the allen key and start ratcheting. Done!

First control arm bracket going on:

And then the passenger side bracket:

The next big issue we had was with the pitman arm. It would not come off no matter what. We destroyed two pitman arm pullers, while tapping on it with a hammer, and while hitting it with mapp gas. I took a break and read on the forums that many people just leave the factory pitman arm and have no problems. I decided to let it be, and when I got my full alignment done, I'd toss it in the jeep and if its needed they could put it on. But in the meantime, I had to get the drag link off the pitman arm and there wasn't any room to tap it with a hammer... so it was time to cut off the tie rod end.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Putting the new Currie HD steering in:

Put the brake lines on:

Getting close to being done with the front:

And the front is finally done:

Onto the rear. I forgot to take pics while removing the rear...

Exhaust & shocks removed.... and yes, the exhaust needs to be removed in order for the long arms to fit:

Factory brackets removed:

The UCF skid plate took several modifications throughout the project in order to finally get things right. I thought I was only going to have to cut for the back control arm mounts, but it turns out I had to cut for the front too.

Installing the rear brackets:

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Unread 06-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Again, I forgot to take pics of prepping the axle and welding everything on.... but here is the finished product:

Removed surface rust from the frame and painted it... then put the shocks on and RE extended sway bar links:

The skid plate required modifications again to allow for it to seat properly, but after a few more tweaks... here's the final outcome:

My plan is to go back, drill another hole on each side and get it back to being secured with three bolts on each side.

Re-installing the rear axle:

Finished!

Now that the lift was done.... I had some spare time to put on some PIAA lights. I ordered a set of the PIAA 5192 510 Driving Lights and a set of the PIAA 5190 510 Series Fog Lights.

I started with the windshield lights first.

The driver's side bracket went on perfectly... just used a torx 40 with a impact gun in order to not fully strip the torx screw.

On the passenger side, there were two torx screws that were torqued in very tightly. It broke 3 torx bits and I decided to call it quits for now.

I like the look... not too small, not too big:

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Unread 06-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went to start installing the fog lights on the jeep, and as soon as I pulled them out of the box and held the up to the bumper... I thought they looked WAY too small. I figured I was just crazy and that things would look right once installed...

After getting them installed, I still didnt like the look. Amazon has a great return policy and allowed me to return them with no problem. I then bought PIAA 5291 520 Series Fog Lights...

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.