Project Monochrome - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Monochrome

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Project: Monochrome

This is Jeep #3 for me- I bought it when I got back from Germany last year and decided I'd build it for a DD and capable trail rig for weekends up north. I'm trying to get it mostly complete before my trip out to Moab in August. My plans are as follows:

33" Goodyear Duratracs- Done
SniperFab Front Fenders- Done (thanks jforse!)
PSC Rear Fenders- Done
Rokmen Mercenary Front Bumper- Done
SYE/CV Driveshaft- Done (thanks 96zjlimited and Toast!)
Bestop Replace-a-Top- Done
IPF headlights and H4 Upgrade- Done
1.5" Seat Risers- Done
Superwinch LP8500- Done

Trail Gear Sliders- Pending
IRO Adjustable Rear Upper CAs- Pending
Re-gear to 4.56- Pending

RC 2.5" Lift
Front Locker
Tire Carrier Rear Bumper
OE Cruise Control
ORO LiteDots
Tummy Tuck

So here she is as I bought her in Sept '10. A 2004 TJ X with a 4.0L, NV3500, D30/D35 with 3.07 gears, and hail damage.

Last edited by gunner_79; 07-24-2011 at 10:29 PM..
gunner_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First order of business was to clean the interior up and do some brake work. The previous owner was a traveling x-ray tech, so he basically lived out of this thing- McDonalds wrappers everywhere, dirt and grease caked in every nook and cranny and a bunch of hay in the back (I don't wanna know!). The front end had a horrible wobble in it when braking and it shimmied when going down the road. I bought new rotors and pads- that took care of it in a hurry, although the shimmy is still there when cruising between 60-70mph.
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Once that was finished, I saw that jforse had a few items for sale off my last jeep- a '00 TJ that I sold him before I left to Germany. I picked up a set of SniperFab front fenders and PSC rear fenders. I also found out that 96zjlimited had my old Rokmen Mercenary bumper for sale. I picked those up and headed to my parent's place in WI for a long weekend.

My to-do list...

Tearing into it…

Halfway there…

Fenders done, but I can't get over how ridiculous that stock bumper looked!
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The new bumper, definitely in need of some paint…

I reused the side markers for turn signals up front.
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The jeep stayed that way until it got warmer out. I definitely needed to rework and paint the front bumper. The front fenders needed to be painted to match the rest of the jeep. Back to WI…

Start- pretty rusty with some booger welds around the fairlead mount.

Middle- ground off a few layers of paint, then ground down the welds and prime red.

Painted the fenders- silver to match the body, bed liner for the flares.

Finish product
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A few weeks later, I had broke the zippers on the rear window of the top. I found a great deal on a Replace-a-Top and took it. Over the weekend I cleaned up the PSC rear fenders, painted them with bed liner to match the fronts and mounted them up…

Unread 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I spent the first couple weeks of July on Annual Tour with the Air Force. Little did I know that I was double-dipping during this time- looks like it's time to do some upgrades! I ordered up some sliders to cover up the undercoating the PO sprayed on the rockers, and I got a pretty good deal on some 33x12.5/R15 Goodyear Duratracs and some black steelies (I hate chrome!).

Before:

After:
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now that the tires were on, I thought I'd do a little more shopping. Don't you just love it when you find a deal and have the money to take advantage of it?

Before:

After:

I also took the time to repaint the fog lights, door handles and headlight trim with some Krylon Fusion. In all, not a bad weekend! Next on the list is definitely a 2.5" RC lift and re-gearing. Cruising right now in 4th gear at 70mph only turns 2100 rpms. No good...
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Speaking of regearing- does anyone have a d35 3.55+ carrier that they want to get rid of? I think this regear will need to happen sooner rather than later...
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
puffisaurus
1993 YJ Wrangler 

nice paint job
puffisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffisaurus View Post
nice paint job
Thanks- certainly not done in an ideal environment, but considering how difficult it is to match Bright Silver Metallic, I'm ok with how it turned out...
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looking good so far. off to a fast start. those duratracs look good.

check it out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/hysterias-90-yj-build-1190617/
jclauson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
karlo

I really like the new fenders. Great job!
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #14
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

dang, quick build, lol.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
gunner_79
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
looking good so far. off to a fast start. those duratracs look good.
Thanks! I guess I should have prefaced this build thread with the fact that I moved it over here from my local forum- I've been working on this since last September and the planning started a long time before that while I was still in Germany. My first jeep was a '92 YJ that was fun to drive, but ended up being a money pit with all the stupid mods that kids do when they get their first jeep. I later traded that in on a '00 TJ and I learned a lot about building too fast and/or in the wrong areas. I sold that to jforse (he has a long build thread on it here) after I blew out the rear end on it.

I want to use this jeep to build it right for what I actually use it for, and not what I wish I used it for. It's my DD and I don't have a garage readily available, so all my projects require a weekend trip to my parent's place 50 miles from here. There are a lot of great places to wheel here in MN, but with this being my DD, I need to make sure I start with the important things first- tires, armor, and recovery gear. Wheel it till something breaks, then upgrade.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.