Project Magnum YJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Magnum YJ

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #91
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the factory service manuals at home. I will try to get you some pics in the next day or so.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #92
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
you can get the OBDII pin outs from some of the dodge forums. i had them on my puter, but seem to have misplaced them a bit.
I'm going OBDI, I have a computer and harness from a 95 Ram 2500 with manual trans.
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #93
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

that computer should only have two connectors at the ecu not the three you were talking about. the black, gray, light gray are the colors and style for an obdii dodge box.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #94
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The manuals I have are obd2 so I wont be able to help you.

My motor swap thread
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #95
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the connectors in question...

They are at the end of the wiring harness opposite the computer connector, and each has 10 pins. On the Ram truck I pulled the harness from they were plugged in right before the bulk head. I found them in the FSM, but it doesn't list the functions for the pins, just the circuit number. I have all the wires on the original YJ harness labeled, now I just have to figure out what the functions of the wires in these connectors are.
Unread 12-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #96
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Spent the day tagging all the wires in those connectors. Used a combination of the FSM and physically tracing the wires back to their origin. I think that part is finally done!

Also started trying to sort out the wires in the jeep, what a mess! My 92 FSM doesn't have the nice connector pin out section like the 95 one does. I'm literally clueless as to what to do next... it's getting really frustrating! I'm not sure what to do at this point. :
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #97
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could swap in a dash from a 87-91 then wire the sensors up to the individual gagues. Is your dash completly controlled by the computer, and do you need the VSS?

My motor swap thread
Unread 12-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #98
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
You could swap in a dash from a 87-91 then wire the sensors up to the individual gagues. Is your dash completly controlled by the computer, and do you need the VSS?
I'd like to keep the stock gauges and everything if possible. I started hacking out old wires, but I think I need to slow down and keep reading the FSM to get some idea of what to do next.
Unread 12-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #99
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I started with a carbed engine so I don't excatly know what you are going through. The van I pulled my motor out of still had the old analog gauges in the dash and the motor had two of everything. I used a wiring diagram but I never was convinced that it was correct. I took the dash out of the Jeep, and then used my multimeter to ohm out the wires from the back of the gauges to the engine compartment, but that only works if the gauges are not feed by the computer. Where was the renix computer mounted on the 4.0l Wranglers?

My motor swap thread
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #100
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I wish I could help, but my 90 Wrangler was a ton easier as far as wiring went to do the swap. I basically just had to wire 4 wires to the battery, hook up the key switch and then the analog gauges and that was pretty much all. I can't imagine there are too many more on the newer rigs though. The computer controlled guages will work with either PCM. You should pretty much have power going into the dash harness, gauges (still used analog oil/temp/etc. gauges even then). There will be key switch out to pcm, start (I wired directly to starter), and maybe a few more here and there, but a wiring diagram should show you them all. Just gotta take it bit by bit and it will fall together. If you post up a copy of the wiring diagram for your Heep and donor rig I will look it over and give you some help.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #101
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
I wish I could help, but my 90 Wrangler was a ton easier as far as wiring went to do the swap. I basically just had to wire 4 wires to the battery, hook up the key switch and then the analog gauges and that was pretty much all. I can't imagine there are too many more on the newer rigs though. The computer controlled guages will work with either PCM. You should pretty much have power going into the dash harness, gauges (still used analog oil/temp/etc. gauges even then). There will be key switch out to pcm, start (I wired directly to starter), and maybe a few more here and there, but a wiring diagram should show you them all. Just gotta take it bit by bit and it will fall together. If you post up a copy of the wiring diagram for your Heep and donor rig I will look it over and give you some help.
Thanks man, was hoping you would chime in on this! I'm gonna sit down with the FSM this weekend and try to break it down into manageable chunks. The diagrams are separated into circuits and spread over several pages, so there isn't a good way to post them up.

Thanks for all the help from everyone, I really appreciate it. Hope I can get something positive done this weekend that I can post about!

Unread 12-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #102
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Photo copy all the pages you need. Arange them in the order you need. Makes life much easier. You can also make little notes on the pages with out having to write in your FSM
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #103
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing, plus I had them blown up and traced the circuits with colored pencils. It helped alot.

My motor swap thread
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #104
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What year did you say your donor harness/computer came from?
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #105
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
What year did you say your donor harness/computer came from?
Computer is from a 95 Ram 2500 5.9 manual trans and the harness is from a 94 Ram 1500 5.2 manual trans. When I was identifying the wires at the end of the new harness I noticed several of them were cruise related, so could I just leave them disconnected without any issues?

I'm making a mental list of the electrical functions I need to address...

- Ignition / starting
- Power distribution
- Fuel delivery
- Gauges
- Alternator / charging

Anything else to add?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.