Project Magnum YJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Magnum YJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #76
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
Actually I find the easiest thing about the swap is smiling every time I leave some unsuspecting sucker at the stoplight scratching his head trying to figure out what happened!

It happens like this;
Green, off in second
Shift into 3rd at about 45 (guessing about 4k RPMs)
Shift into 5th when I am at the speed limit (or to slow back down to it)
Putt along until the next "stoplight adventure"
I do not get to enjoy that feeling as much. To keep the swap simpler I went with a Throttle Body injected motor with a neck snapping 160 hp and 220 lbs of torque. Thats right my v8 has less hp than the 4.0l six, but I have 20 lbs more torque. I went with the 8 to get rid of the Carter BBD more than anything, and the fact that it was sitting in a van my dad was using for parts. All in all my swap cost me less than $300.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #77
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well I done basicly the same thing you did. I used a 97 engine swaped a 94 fuelrail and wiring and puter it runs great but I do have a check engine light for the missing egr
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #78
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
I do not get to enjoy that feeling as much. To keep the swap simpler I went with a Throttle Body injected motor with a neck snapping 160 hp and 220 lbs of torque. Thats right my v8 has less hp than the 4.0l six, but I have 20 lbs more torque. I went with the 8 to get rid of the Carter BBD more than anything, and the fact that it was sitting in a van my dad was using for parts. All in all my swap cost me less than $300.
What motor did you swap in that has HP and TQ numbers that low?
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #79
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoveguy01 View Post
well I done basicly the same thing you did. I used a 97 engine swaped a 94 fuelrail and wiring and puter it runs great but I do have a check engine light for the missing egr
Glad to know someone else is running that setup. Is there any way to trick it into thinking the egr is there?
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #80
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
What motor did you swap in that has HP and TQ numbers that low?
5.2l V8 from a 90 Dodge B250 van.

My motor swap thread
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #81
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

OK so the hard part is done. Why not get yourself a 5.9 or a higher HP 5.2 and just swap it in? THats the easy part after you do everything needed to do the actual V8 swap.
Unread 10-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #82
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Because I am happy with the v8 I have. I dont need the extra power. I only do a little light wheeling and camping and the power I have if plenty enough for that. I just really wanted the relibility of fuel injection and to be able to tell people that it is a v8. When I want to go fast I drive the Charger.

My motor swap thread
Unread 10-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #83
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Probably better that way anyway since it looks like you have stock axles. The D35 cant take much
Unread 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #84
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I know, that is another reason I like the motor I have. I figure since it has roughly the same hp and tq of the 4.0 then I shouldn't have any unreasonable problems with the axle. A 8.8 swap is in the future, but I think I am going to wait until the 35 actually goes out.

My motor swap thread
Unread 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #85
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
Glad to know someone else is running that setup. Is there any way to trick it into thinking the egr is there?
How does the computer know that the EGR is working. Is it based on a coil or is there a air flow switch measuring the gass flow. If it is just looking for a coil then you should be able to add one in but not hook it up. On mine the I have 3 coils mounted on the back of the motor that when energized supply vaccume to the actual valves that open and close. I left the coils hooked up to the computer, but removed the vaccume lines that run the egr and hooked all the coil outputs together. That way they energize when the computer tells them to, but they effectively don't do anything. The computer is non the wiser, and it keeps the check engine lite off. This not a very good pic, but it is the only one I have that shows the valves. If you look behind the distributor you can see the top of the valves that control all of the emisions equipment.

My motor swap thread
Unread 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #86
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
How does the computer know that the EGR is working. Is it based on a coil or is there a air flow switch measuring the gass flow. If it is just looking for a coil then you should be able to add one in but not hook it up. On mine the I have 3 coils mounted on the back of the motor that when energized supply vaccume to the actual valves that open and close. I left the coils hooked up to the computer, but removed the vaccume lines that run the egr and hooked all the coil outputs together. That way they energize when the computer tells them to, but they effectively don't do anything. The computer is non the wiser, and it keeps the check engine lite off. This not a very good pic, but it is the only one I have that shows the valves. If you look behind the distributor you can see the top of the valves that control all of the emisions equipment.
There is an egr switch that has a harness connector plugged into it. I'm thinking about leaving the switch mounted and plugged in just to see if the ecm will think everything is cool.
Unread 10-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #87
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think that the PCM will still throw a code because it is looking for a change in Hydrocarbons (HC) emissions (via O2 sensor) when it opens the valve. The purpose of the EGR was to reduce HC by recycling some of the exhaust to be burned again, thereby ensuring a more complete burn of the fuel through higher combustion chamber heat. The OBD-II systems did away with this because they added a second O2 sensor to check on the after cat values and also through better fuel and spark mapping. In reality it isnt going to affect your performance and may take more work to disable than to just install. You might just leave it and let it be if you are concerned with your MIL(check engine) being on. If you dont have the stuff all you need is a passenger side manifold with the tube that connects to the intake manifold and the valve that sits on the manifold. Everything else is already there.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #88
panman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

novak conversions says that the ax15 is a medium duty trans. so i would say you should be ok,although that depends on how heavy your right foot is i guess. i'd say just be ready for an upgrade for that bad day( if it even comes,you may never see it)
panman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #89
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok a little update... Finally got moved into my new place and settled in. This weekend I joined the motor to the AX-15 and it all bolted up like it was made to be together. Took a little maneuvering to get the input shaft in the pilot bearing, but overall it went really well.

Next step is wiring, OMG this is a daunting task! I started going through the YJ harness trying to pare out the unneeded wires. I have a FSM for it, so it's going ok so far. I also have a FSM for a 95 Ram 5.9, but it doesn't show the pin outs for the three connectors that are at the end of the computer harness. I mean it shows them, but just shows a circuit number for pin 1, etc. So what do I do now? Anyone know the actual pin outs for those three connectors? One is black, one is gray, and one is light gray.
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #90
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you can get the OBDII pin outs from some of the dodge forums. i had them on my puter, but seem to have misplaced them a bit.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.