Project Magnum YJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Magnum YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 10-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #61
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
e.g.r.

need i say more?
maybe i will.
have you looked under the hood of an obdi v8 to compare? obdii is more complicated in the PROGRAMMING, as for everything plastered on the motor it's FAR, FAR, FAR simpler to deal with obdii.
with obdii you don't have egr, don't have vac operated fuel pressure reg, don't have half the evap system the obdi has, obdii adds an after cat o2 sensor. i'll take obdii every day of the week and twice on sunday.
I'm hoping for the best of both worlds! My 96 engine doesn't have the egr, and I swapped over a vacuum regulated fuel rail. So guess you could say it's kind of a hybrid

But it will run off an OBDI computer, just hope it doesn't get mad at me for not having an egr sensor....

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #62
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Small updates....

I moved from a house with no garage to one with a two car garage!

I haven't gotten a whole lot done, but I did get both axles under it to get it moved to the new house. I went with waggy springs in the rear and my RC lift springs in the front. Waggy springs stretched the rear 2", and I used Roughstuff spring perches to move the front up 1". It's going to sit just right when the motor is in and putting a little weight on the front.

Here's a picture of the motor I took when I was putting it together. It's much more complete now with all the plug wires, accessories, and wiring harness on it.

Hopefully I'll get back to working on it soon. I still have tons of boxes to unload at the new house. Xmas is coming up soon too, so funds will be diverted to Santa. My kids always come first!!

Unread 10-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #63
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Hey man it's looking awesome! Cant want to see it all done and on the road! That fuel rail looks familiar
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #64
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
Hey man it's looking awesome! Cant want to see it all done and on the road! That fuel rail looks familiar
You and me both! It's been a huge project to take on single handedly.

Unread 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #65
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I did my swap I used a TBI 5.2 out of a van. The only major problem I had using the Dakota bellhousing is that the input shaft of the jeep tranny was smaller than the input of the dakota. I was unable to use the dodge pilot bearing and the od of the Jeep one was too small. Went to a local machine shop and purchased a needle bearing that fit the jeep shaft, and had them press it into an adapter that they turned for me to fit the dodge motor. When it was completed it fit perferctly and only cost me 40 bucks. Good luck on the swap you will love the v8.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #66
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
When I did my swap I used a TBI 5.2 out of a van. The only major problem I had using the Dakota bellhousing is that the input shaft of the jeep tranny was smaller than the input of the dakota. I was unable to use the dodge pilot bearing and the od of the Jeep one was too small. Went to a local machine shop and purchased a needle bearing that fit the jeep shaft, and had them press it into an adapter that they turned for me to fit the dodge motor. When it was completed it fit perferctly and only cost me 40 bucks. Good luck on the swap you will love the v8.
I got really lucky, a jeep ax-15 pilot bushing/bearing fit in the 5.9 crank like a glove. I haven't gotten a chance to mate the trans to the motor yet, but I hope the input shaft length is correct with the dakota bellhousing and the 5.9 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate will fit inside.

Unread 10-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #67
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
Small updates....

I moved from a house with no garage to one with a two car garage!

I haven't gotten a whole lot done, but I did get both axles under it to get it moved to the new house. I went with waggy springs in the rear and my RC lift springs in the front. Waggy springs stretched the rear 2", and I used Roughstuff spring perches to move the front up 1". It's going to sit just right when the motor is in and putting a little weight on the front.

Here's a picture of the motor I took when I was putting it together. It's much more complete now with all the plug wires, accessories, and wiring harness on it.

Hopefully I'll get back to working on it soon. I still have tons of boxes to unload at the new house. Xmas is coming up soon too, so funds will be diverted to Santa. My kids always come first!!

I may have to rethink my 4.0L conversion. That is one sweet motor!

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #68
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post

I may have to rethink my 4.0L conversion. That is one sweet motor!
I did the 4.0 swap first, in hindsight it wasn't a great idea. Just depends on how big you plan to go.

Unread 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #69
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Going to be interesting swinging the engine into the Jeep while its up that high. Even with the front tires removed and axle on blucks it's going to be tricky lol.
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #70
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
Going to be interesting swinging the engine into the Jeep while its up that high. Even with the front tires removed and axle on blucks it's going to be tricky lol.
That's true, the hoist I have is a long ram and extends pretty high, but I'll probably end up putting smaller tires on the front to make things easier.

Unread 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #71
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just thought I might give you a little bit of insite as far as emissions are concerned, at least how they go here in Idaho. I just got mine tested, it passed quite easily. At first they werent going to let me run the test because they thought I was required to have AIS. After looking in their book they determined that since neither the original 2.5, nor the donor 5.2 had it so it wasnt a requirement for me. They also informed me that even if I had wired up the OBD port they would always have to sniff test it because that is the regs on how they test anything pre '96.

By the way, great looking engine.
After more and more beating the AX-15 is holding up quite well, still shifts like butter and hasnt given so much as a peep. Even the D-35 is holding up well.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #72
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

They used the AX-15 behind the inline 6 turbo Supra with guys making 600 HP. No 5.2 is going to hurt it lol.
Unread 10-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #73
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
Just thought I might give you a little bit of insite as far as emissions are concerned, at least how they go here in Idaho. I just got mine tested, it passed quite easily. At first they werent going to let me run the test because they thought I was required to have AIS. After looking in their book they determined that since neither the original 2.5, nor the donor 5.2 had it so it wasnt a requirement for me. They also informed me that even if I had wired up the OBD port they would always have to sniff test it because that is the regs on how they test anything pre '96.

By the way, great looking engine.
After more and more beating the AX-15 is holding up quite well, still shifts like butter and hasnt given so much as a peep. Even the D-35 is holding up well.
One of the few advantages of living in MS is there are no emissions laws!

Unread 10-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #74
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
I got really lucky, a jeep ax-15 pilot bushing/bearing fit in the 5.9 crank like a glove. I haven't gotten a chance to mate the trans to the motor yet, but I hope the input shaft length is correct with the dakota bellhousing and the 5.9 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate will fit inside.
A few of the things I learned while doing my swap is that the Magnum v6 and the LA small blocks are the same. Also the clutch for the Jeep ax-15 and dakota and by default v8 are also the same. Another tidbit is that dodge used the ax-15 behind the v8s in the full size vans until they switched to the nv-3500 sometime in the ninetys. My ax-15 bolted up with no issue at all. I was able to use the Dakota bell housing, jeep clutch, and jeep slave cylinder. In fact, bolting the tranny to the engine was the easiest part of the swap.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #75
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
In fact, bolting the tranny to the engine was the easiest part of the swap.
Actually I find the easiest thing about the swap is smiling every time I leave some unsuspecting sucker at the stoplight scratching his head trying to figure out what happened!

It happens like this;
Green, off in second
Shift into 3rd at about 45 (guessing about 4k RPMs)
Shift into 5th when I am at the speed limit (or to slow back down to it)
Putt along until the next "stoplight adventure"
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.