Project Magnum YJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
e.g.r.

need i say more?
maybe i will.
have you looked under the hood of an obdi v8 to compare? obdii is more complicated in the PROGRAMMING, as for everything plastered on the motor it's FAR, FAR, FAR simpler to deal with obdii.
with obdii you don't have egr, don't have vac operated fuel pressure reg, don't have half the evap system the obdi has, obdii adds an after cat o2 sensor. i'll take obdii every day of the week and twice on sunday.
I'm hoping for the best of both worlds! My 96 engine doesn't have the egr, and I swapped over a vacuum regulated fuel rail. So guess you could say it's kind of a hybrid

But it will run off an OBDI computer, just hope it doesn't get mad at me for not having an egr sensor....

bmgadg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 463
Small updates....

I moved from a house with no garage to one with a two car garage!

I haven't gotten a whole lot done, but I did get both axles under it to get it moved to the new house. I went with waggy springs in the rear and my RC lift springs in the front. Waggy springs stretched the rear 2", and I used Roughstuff spring perches to move the front up 1". It's going to sit just right when the motor is in and putting a little weight on the front.



Here's a picture of the motor I took when I was putting it together. It's much more complete now with all the plug wires, accessories, and wiring harness on it.



Hopefully I'll get back to working on it soon. I still have tons of boxes to unload at the new house. Xmas is coming up soon too, so funds will be diverted to Santa. My kids always come first!!
bmgadg is offline  
post #63 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 AM
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,724
Hey man it's looking awesome! Cant want to see it all done and on the road! That fuel rail looks familiar
PlatinumNiner is offline  
post #64 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
Hey man it's looking awesome! Cant want to see it all done and on the road! That fuel rail looks familiar
You and me both! It's been a huge project to take on single handedly.
bmgadg is offline  
post #65 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM
73Dart
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shelby, NC
Posts: 620
When I did my swap I used a TBI 5.2 out of a van. The only major problem I had using the Dakota bellhousing is that the input shaft of the jeep tranny was smaller than the input of the dakota. I was unable to use the dodge pilot bearing and the od of the Jeep one was too small. Went to a local machine shop and purchased a needle bearing that fit the jeep shaft, and had them press it into an adapter that they turned for me to fit the dodge motor. When it was completed it fit perferctly and only cost me 40 bucks. Good luck on the swap you will love the v8.

89 YJ with a 5.2l V8, 5 Speed ax-15, RC aals giving me 1.5" of lift plus 1" lift shackles giving me a total of 2.5" of lift, 31x10.5x15 A/T tires, no carpet, rinolined tub, Family style roll bar.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline  
post #66 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
When I did my swap I used a TBI 5.2 out of a van. The only major problem I had using the Dakota bellhousing is that the input shaft of the jeep tranny was smaller than the input of the dakota. I was unable to use the dodge pilot bearing and the od of the Jeep one was too small. Went to a local machine shop and purchased a needle bearing that fit the jeep shaft, and had them press it into an adapter that they turned for me to fit the dodge motor. When it was completed it fit perferctly and only cost me 40 bucks. Good luck on the swap you will love the v8.
I got really lucky, a jeep ax-15 pilot bushing/bearing fit in the 5.9 crank like a glove. I haven't gotten a chance to mate the trans to the motor yet, but I hope the input shaft length is correct with the dakota bellhousing and the 5.9 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate will fit inside.
bmgadg is offline  
post #67 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 PM
remmons
Web Wheeler
 
remmons's Avatar
2015 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal
Posts: 2,712
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
Small updates....

I moved from a house with no garage to one with a two car garage!

I haven't gotten a whole lot done, but I did get both axles under it to get it moved to the new house. I went with waggy springs in the rear and my RC lift springs in the front. Waggy springs stretched the rear 2", and I used Roughstuff spring perches to move the front up 1". It's going to sit just right when the motor is in and putting a little weight on the front.



Here's a picture of the motor I took when I was putting it together. It's much more complete now with all the plug wires, accessories, and wiring harness on it.



Hopefully I'll get back to working on it soon. I still have tons of boxes to unload at the new house. Xmas is coming up soon too, so funds will be diverted to Santa. My kids always come first!!

I may have to rethink my 4.0L conversion. That is one sweet motor!

Robert.

2015 Cherokee Trailhawk V6.
remmons is offline  
post #68 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post

I may have to rethink my 4.0L conversion. That is one sweet motor!
I did the 4.0 swap first, in hindsight it wasn't a great idea. Just depends on how big you plan to go.
bmgadg is offline  
post #69 of 441 Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,724
Going to be interesting swinging the engine into the Jeep while its up that high. Even with the front tires removed and axle on blucks it's going to be tricky lol.
PlatinumNiner is offline  
post #70 of 441 Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
Going to be interesting swinging the engine into the Jeep while its up that high. Even with the front tires removed and axle on blucks it's going to be tricky lol.
That's true, the hoist I have is a long ram and extends pretty high, but I'll probably end up putting smaller tires on the front to make things easier.
bmgadg is offline  
post #71 of 441 Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM
MoparFreak69
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,279
Just thought I might give you a little bit of insite as far as emissions are concerned, at least how they go here in Idaho. I just got mine tested, it passed quite easily. At first they werent going to let me run the test because they thought I was required to have AIS. After looking in their book they determined that since neither the original 2.5, nor the donor 5.2 had it so it wasnt a requirement for me. They also informed me that even if I had wired up the OBD port they would always have to sniff test it because that is the regs on how they test anything pre '96.

By the way, great looking engine.
After more and more beating the AX-15 is holding up quite well, still shifts like butter and hasnt given so much as a peep. Even the D-35 is holding up well.

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, AX-15, 231 SYE'd
D44 front, welded/trussed AMC20HD rear. 4.56 gears soonish.
Western 6 lug aluminum wheels, with 35x12.50x15 Wrangler MTRs
MYj Build
MoparFreak69 is offline  
post #72 of 441 Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,724
They used the AX-15 behind the inline 6 turbo Supra with guys making 600 HP. No 5.2 is going to hurt it lol.
PlatinumNiner is offline  
post #73 of 441 Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
bmgadg
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
Just thought I might give you a little bit of insite as far as emissions are concerned, at least how they go here in Idaho. I just got mine tested, it passed quite easily. At first they werent going to let me run the test because they thought I was required to have AIS. After looking in their book they determined that since neither the original 2.5, nor the donor 5.2 had it so it wasnt a requirement for me. They also informed me that even if I had wired up the OBD port they would always have to sniff test it because that is the regs on how they test anything pre '96.

By the way, great looking engine.
After more and more beating the AX-15 is holding up quite well, still shifts like butter and hasnt given so much as a peep. Even the D-35 is holding up well.
One of the few advantages of living in MS is there are no emissions laws!
bmgadg is offline  
post #74 of 441 Old 10-24-2010, 06:24 PM
73Dart
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shelby, NC
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
I got really lucky, a jeep ax-15 pilot bushing/bearing fit in the 5.9 crank like a glove. I haven't gotten a chance to mate the trans to the motor yet, but I hope the input shaft length is correct with the dakota bellhousing and the 5.9 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate will fit inside.
A few of the things I learned while doing my swap is that the Magnum v6 and the LA small blocks are the same. Also the clutch for the Jeep ax-15 and dakota and by default v8 are also the same. Another tidbit is that dodge used the ax-15 behind the v8s in the full size vans until they switched to the nv-3500 sometime in the ninetys. My ax-15 bolted up with no issue at all. I was able to use the Dakota bell housing, jeep clutch, and jeep slave cylinder. In fact, bolting the tranny to the engine was the easiest part of the swap.

89 YJ with a 5.2l V8, 5 Speed ax-15, RC aals giving me 1.5" of lift plus 1" lift shackles giving me a total of 2.5" of lift, 31x10.5x15 A/T tires, no carpet, rinolined tub, Family style roll bar.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline  
post #75 of 441 Old 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM
MoparFreak69
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Dart View Post
In fact, bolting the tranny to the engine was the easiest part of the swap.
Actually I find the easiest thing about the swap is smiling every time I leave some unsuspecting sucker at the stoplight scratching his head trying to figure out what happened!

It happens like this;
Green, off in second
Shift into 3rd at about 45 (guessing about 4k RPMs)
Shift into 5th when I am at the speed limit (or to slow back down to it)
Putt along until the next "stoplight adventure"

90 YJ 5.2 Magnum, AX-15, 231 SYE'd
D44 front, welded/trussed AMC20HD rear. 4.56 gears soonish.
Western 6 lug aluminum wheels, with 35x12.50x15 Wrangler MTRs
MYj Build
MoparFreak69 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
5.3 or 5.9 magnum in TJ? mitch77 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 35 11-16-2012 07:17 PM
magnum in my tj muddnajeep TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 11-12-2012 06:21 PM
Swap a 3.9 magnum into the yj Russell_Goodall YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 18 10-28-2011 07:30 PM
06 Magnum AND 05 LJ vs. 08 Unlimited RT4 Wrangler General Discussion 10 02-16-2009 10:05 AM
magnum engines in a yj? 4bangersRme YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 0 02-23-2006 09:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome