Project Lola - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Lola

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Project Lola

That's what it's being called since the wife has stated I pay more attention to "Lola" than I do her sometimes... LOL

I figured I would use the "Jeep Builds" forum to document my progress and help to keep myself on track and to keep my thoughts all together in one spot.

So. as the story starts, I bought a 1990 YJ off a high school gym teacher for cheap. he was going to sell it off for the parts and I convinced him to sell it to me whole. I got the Jeep in September of 2012. It had no roof, only half a floor, missing seats and enough creaks, groans, squeaks and rust that would make most just say "Oh HELL no!!!". But it had appealed to me. It needed to be saved. I brought it home and Momma said "You may as well put a cot in that garage because you're not coming in this house!!!" And the rebuild began.....

This pic is after I had gotten the floor fixed, and some donated seats. Took it up the the firehouse and power washed all the mud off of it so I could further see what needed to be done.

img_0358.jpg  

Last edited by gfd66; 06-01-2014 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: cleaning things up
gfd66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

First I had to play detective and with the assistance of the knowledgeable gentlemen in the YJ forum, I was able to begin deciphering what the PO had done to the vehicle. The 3-1/2" body lift, possibly without a suspension lift. He had left the track bars but cut out the sway bar. And shoehorned 35's into the poor little guy. The driver's side floor was basically missing. I'm still not quite sure what was really holding the seat in place. Every U-joint was thrashed beyond limits. The brakes were shot. And the hub bearings had enough chatter to wake up a convention of narcoleptics. So I attended to the initial mechanical issues first. Sears actually told me I couldn't come back for at least a month with broken tools because of all of the sockets that were being torn to bits by the hub bearing bolts. After 3 days of PB blaster, 2 cans of MAP gas, and every knuckle i have on my hands bleeding, I took the jeep to a buddy's shop and got the bearings replaced. Shade tree mechanics failed..... Once home I took care of everything else I had listed. Now safe to drive, sort of, I took it over to another buddy's house to get the floor cleaned up and new sheet metal in place. One thing I've never learned to do is weld. I figure the floor is rather important, I'd rather not end up sitting in the street, so I let someone else do it. I tried to upload some images of how bad the rust was but I keep getting a "Timed Out" message. maybe I'll be able to load them later.
Unread 06-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
gfd66
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Next on the agenda was to find a roof. Craigslist became my hunting ground. I first found a hard top and doors. perfect!! Winter was upon us and I really didn't want a snow filled Jeep. Again I get a "Bad Request" message as I try to upload an image. I'll get this image thing figured out!!!

Last edited by gfd66; 06-01-2014 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: cleaning things up
gfd66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.