Project... LCOG TJ Rubicon ... 1/4 life Crisis - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project... LCOG TJ Rubicon ... 1/4 life Crisis

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 08-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
JC1390
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Project... LCOG TJ Rubicon ... 1/4 life Crisis

Alright guys I've never had a build thread on JF before and I've been Jeepless for about 5 years until now so please be kind...

A little background... A few years back I had a WJ that I thought was the baddest thing around... after a couple years and a couple broken shafts I upgraded to a TJ. 5.5" of lift, long arms, locked 44's, blah blah blah. Basically your typical long armed TJ dedicated off-roader that wasn't as nice as I wanted it to be.

After playing around for a few years I moved on to Diesel trucks, Cummins to be specific. I've had quite a few still DD one which will be the Tow pig.

Onto the JEEP!

I've been looking on and off for the past couple years...specifically for a TJ Rubicon. In my pea brain I've always wanted one and still think its a great starting platform for a new build.

Low and Behold I found a 2004 Rubicon 5sp 124k miles street queen. Not perfect but not bad. Your typical sketchy craigslist find in the great state of NY. I drove 1.5 hours to see this thing, trailer and cash along for the ride. When I finally arrived it was even sketchier than I had anticipated. No big deal, I was on a mission! Turns out the ad was a bit misleading...said it had a new clutch and both tops. No soft top to be had and a jeep that I couldn't test drive because "the clutch was shot". So I proceeded with negotiations and got what I thought was a steal on it. I have a bit of mechanical knowledge so I wasn't too worried about the clutch and other minor issues I picked up on. A little ingenuity and I drove it onto the trailer and headed back to the armpit of America...NJ.

Here she is on the new PJ trailer...

And home in the driveway...

Alright so onto the build plans...

LCOG dual purpose crawler / streetable jalopy. I was originally planning on long arms and 38's. Basically following my buddy Steve with TNT's Lo Rider build. Plans are slightly changing after reading a couple other build threads. My plan is to have something I can jump in and drive and 1+ hours on the highway as well as something that's going to perform offroad. While building I plan to keep it on the road and out of the garage as much as possible...planning to wheel with it as much as I can throughout the build with the first trip planned for September! Should be a fairly fast paced build so hopefully I get a couple guys who are interested!

Update on the POS rubi with the bum clutch... I tore into it on Monday to figure out what was going on. In preparation for the project at hand I ordered a new set of Hydros as well as a Luk clutch.

Here's what I found...

So that's why the clutch didn't work! Apparently the previous owner just kept driving...I cant imagine the noises this thing made. Now I know there are plenty of awesome female drivers...however the previous owner was not one of them.

Out with the old, in with the new! Took her for a spin and all is good! Oh except for the brakes...they suck. Tonight's project, new master cylinder and a couple braided stainless lines.

That's all the pictures I've taken so far...waiting on some parts to come in now.

Parts Ordered...
JKS body lift and motor mount lift
Savvy Aluminum Control Arms
RC 2.5" Springs
Rokmen coil relocation stuff
Bestop Trektop NX
and some other little odds and ends
Oh and a set of 37" BFG KM2's and 17" Trail Ready Beadlocks

Im thinking about getting with a couple local Jeep clubs... Anybody familiar with anything in North NJ?

Please leave questions, comments, and whatever bs you want...It'll keep me motivated to continue the thread!

JC1390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

subbed
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
1999wjlimited
1999 WJ 

subbed
Unread 08-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
CPsloTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

subbed
CPsloTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
84jeepcj7rock

Subbed
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
JC1390
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quick update... somehow my Quadratec order got cancelled so things are going slower than expected.

Savvy control arms are in, wheels and tires are getting picked up this weekend, brakes motor mount lift and body lift this weekend...

More parts ordered...

Anybody have a shock preference? I've used a bunch of different brands but still haven't found the "perfect" shock. Also what mfg makes the best skid plates? Opinions?
Unread 08-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
CPsloTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have bilstein 5100s with my RC 2.5 springs and couldn't be happier. UCF makes a pretty good high clearance skid that I plan on going with
CPsloTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
JC1390
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Plans are changing and parts are coming in...

Got my new Master Cylinder and Booster to go in this weekend...along with some extended stainless brake lines.

JKS BL and MML lift are in, however im changing up the BL plan and going with a simple .5" instead of the JKS. It is LCOG after all

Rokmen parts are shipped...

Also on the list is a new Blower Motor resister for the weekend!

PICS coming!
Unread 08-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
JC1390
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not too much to update on... Did a valve cover gasket and blower motor resistor this weekend. Did a little more poking around, checked the lockers (they work but the lights flash...seems to be common) found some rust in the rocker area underneath that needs addressing, and stripped all the carpet out.

Checked into the brakes and they're all garbage. Every single rotor and caliper is destroyed so instead of doing the master cyl and booster this weekend I'm waiting till the new Rotors, Calipers, and pads come in. No better time than now to upgrade the brake system...especially since were jumping up to a 37.

On that same note, I picked up my wheels and tires this weekend

Also scored a Poison Spyder Brawler Front Bumper, Steering box skid, Ramsey Patriot 8000, and a Banks tuner contraption

Id say it was a pretty successful weekend in that aspect.

I threw the bumper on and wired up a pair of rigids I had sitting around so I can actually see at night!

Rokmen parts are due in today. Cutting and Welding one night this week

Unread 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
jeepster1407
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice Job so far! What are your plans for fenders?
Unread 08-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
JC1390
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely going with some Poison Spyder Defenders of the highline variety...I thought about Metal Cloak for awhile but at this point im leaning towards PSC. Opinions?

Trying to get them ordered this week.
Unread 08-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
flip2spin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Y not skip the bl and mml and get a nth belly up ? Same clearance just no bl or mml ?
flip2spin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
JC1390
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No real reason other than the fact I was planning to go with the Rokmen skid complement...their gas tank skid requires at least a .5" BL.
Unread 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Surprised you didn't go with a Savvy gas tank skid and a lighter, higher clearance belly skid. Rokmen is solid stuff but is very traditional and heavy. Smart design has come quite a ways since Rokmen designed those products.

You're also going to want a lot more than a new master cylinder, booster and stock replacement rotors and pads to stop 37's.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #15
JC1390
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Surprised you didn't go with a Savvy gas tank skid and a lighter, higher clearance belly skid. Rokmen is solid stuff but is very traditional and heavy. Smart design has come quite a ways since Rokmen designed those products.

You're also going to want a lot more than a new master cylinder, booster and stock replacement rotors and pads to stop 37's.

I've always been skeptical about aluminum skids... Like i said i've been out of the game for about 5 years so maybe i'm just uneducated. I plan to use aluminum fenders and corners but was leaning towards steel for the higher impact areas such as the rockers and skids... I feel like aluminum would gouge and be "grabbier" but what do i know Also figuring steel down low might keep it a little more planted in off camber crap...but again I could be completely wrong.

To be honest I haven't put too much research into skids yet...Ive only had the jeep for 3 weeks

As far as brakes, I priced out "oe" calipers today just for ships and giggles but planned to go with some other EBC goodies which I've had some luck with on my 3/4 ton tow pigs. I'll look into some "big brake" options as well...nothings set in stone.

Like I said in the OP i'm looking for all kinds of criticism, comments, and whatever BS you guys wanna feed me. Im just getting back into the swing of things

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.