Project Infinity (90YJ Build) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Infinity (90YJ Build)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Project Infinity (90YJ Build) Ford 5.0 Swap V8

I named this build project Infinity simply because who knows how far the mods and budget will go. Anyway....

I picked up this 90 YJ a couple weeks back for $1400. It didn't come with a motor but the Jeep looked to be in good shape. No frame rust from what I can tell which was surprising, came with a hardtop and looks professionally Rhino lined so all in all I think I picked up a pretty good deal. Still had the AX15 and NP231 T-Case etc.

I have never done an engine swap before and I'm completely new to it but this wouldn't be the first project to learn on the fly. I enjoy taking on a challenge and immersing myself in all the details to figure out how everythign works. So here's where I'm at currently with this build:

V8 5.0 Ford swap: (Please feel free to comment on things I may have missed)
YJ Jeep ($1400)
5.0 Engine from 97 explorer ($600)
Ford Truck Bellhousing, Pressure Plate, Block Plate for manual, throwout bearing, clutch fork. ($300 ish)
Jeep Clutch (Talked to Novak, they say thats the setup so we'll see?) ($75)
Novak Trans/Engine Adapter ($300)
Novak Slave cylinder, pilot bearing (Had to swap from internal setup)($150)
Ford Racing Harness ($550)
A9P ECU from mustang ($200)
Engine work (currently being done, new gaskets, getting rid of oil cooler elbow, paint, Distrbutor to replace coil pack in order to work with ECU, $300ish) The guy at NipNTuckPerformance down in Orem, UT area actually talked me out of a take down and rebuild because the motor looked so good. I really appreciate the honesty so I gave him what work I could.

So far I'm about $4,000 into it. I'm going to say total cost to get on the road will be $5,000 after exhaust work and a few odds and ends I'll need. I''m also sticking with the stock cam since from what all I've been told and read is pretty much the best one for low end torque.

Once I have the engine in I'm going for a SUA 4.5 inch lift from RE, 35's and and 8.8 axle setup.

20140614_045209.jpg   20140615_121053.jpg   20140615_121112.jpg   20140616_154631.jpg  
jovanbiljon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update.

Some of the wiring was throwing me off on this YJ. It seems like the PO added in a aftermarket cruise control module. Got that mess sorted out. Originally I was planning on stripping out all the wires from the engine bay and trying to keep the backup lights intact but it think its going to be easier just to tear everything out at one time and wire those back up afterwards. As far as I'm tracking regarding the bulkhead connector to the fuse box inside the cabin I should only need to keep power supplied to it?

Also Got my engine back from the shop getting a once over. No major work done to it, everything checked out so I got it painted and deleted some things off it like the oil cooler and coil packs etc. Got the engine and trans mocked up last night and got the mounts welded in (Pics to come soon). Kind of hard to really get into the jeep as I work full time as well as college full time. I'm switching out the gas tank for one from a newer YJ 4.0L. If anyone has any questions about their swap I'll answer the best I can from my experience. As soon as the drive train is in for good I'll start hunting down a few sensors I still need. BTW getting the dash off is a big PITA.
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
ruralgold
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm impressed that you can add an engine to it. To me, it's a major production to check and change the brakes. You're my hero!
ruralgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if that's sarcasm but I'll take it.
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
ruralgold
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No sarcasm, just a newbie drooling over all this good stuff!
ruralgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
jeep50

Post pics of the progress when you have any.
jeep50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another update, I'm only able to really work on it once a week with a few hours here and there in between so I apologize for the wait.

I got the engine and trans mounted in the jeep finally. It's placed about 2-3 inches forward from stock so I gained some drive shaft length in the back. I tucked everything up above the frame rails since I intend on having a flat belly. I think that extra length will save me. I was at a little bit of a stand still deciding what to do with the power steering since I didn't have the stock YJ saginaw pump. I opted to buy a saginaw pump because I didn't want to run around trying to find hoses that would use the stock jeep steering box and the explorer pump. Only hang up was that the pump was a 90 or below so I believe it had the bigger diameter pulley shaft. Only thing I could do was buy a serpentine pulley for a 91+ pump and took it to a machine shop and got the center bored out a little so it would fit the pump. So in other words my steering is taken care of. I just need to fab up a bracket for the pump to the explorer accessory bracket.

I'll be putting my transfer case in soon, just need to replace the rear seal and bearing. I'm getting close to completion. Next phase is hooking up the harness and making sure all the wires and vacuum lines are good.
20140721_151113.jpg   20140725_192535.jpg   20140726_211908.jpg  
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot to mention, I also got the distributor in.
Unread 08-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got a body lift installed this weekend (2 inches) so I can get that flat belly. Everything is sitting above the frame rails now. I'll try shave down the body lift a little if I can later. I'm not the biggest fan of them. I'll post a pic up soon. I measured from the T-case output to rear axle and it seems I gained about 7 inches on my rear drive line. Not sure if that's excessive? The engine mounts themselves were only moved forward about 2 inches. Even the NOVAK site said about 2 inches in normal. Not sure where I gained that much drive line.

Aside from that I got the slave cylinder to clutch line figured out. I used a fitting similar to this. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1163&ppt=C0248

As far as fuel lines go I'll be using a 3/8 springlock to -AN6 fitting on the feed line http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-15123. I got some steel braided hose and I'll connect that straight to the hard line on the frame rail using this fitting. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at165056erl.

Same concept on the return line just different size fittings.

Feed line on my 5.0 is a 3/8 and on the YJ its 5/16.
Return line on 5.0 is 5/16 and 1/4 on the YJ.

My checklist is starting to dwindle. I need a starter and some gauges then I can start to wire everything up. Hopefully within a week or so I'll have a running jeep ^^

I know everyone loves pictures, I'll try get some more up here.
Unread 08-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good so far! And nice to see you can weld.

You may have gained that extra 5 inches due to the 302 being shorter, or just a difference in where the engine block mounts are in relation to the back of the block.

I jealous of your dwindling checklist, mine gets longer every time I review it...

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know how you feel. I was at that point where every time I reviewed the build I found something else I needed. It eventually gets smaller lol.
Unread 08-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, progress is just slow for now, until the fall, and I want to get a lot done, if it means hiring some helpers in. Have a look at my build, and you'll see what I mean. LOL

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So I've been debating whether or not I'm going to keep all the emissions stuff on the engine. I know its a pain but I'm gonna do it now so I don't run into problems down the road. From what I can tell I think this approach will be the easiest way. I'm going to use the charcoal canister and purge valve off a mustang running the 5.0. So I'll be replacing the current canister sitting in the jeep.

Remember I got this jeep with a lot of the stuff missing so I think in my case this route will solve some headaches. I managed to buy one off Ebay for $25 so not a big deal.

Now as far as the external EGR tube and the stock mustang headers I have, I'm going to see if the exhaust shop will attach the tube to these headers when they run my new exhaust.

I'll post some updated pics tonight or tomorrow for you guys.
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #14
axxxgijoexxxa

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome work so far, I just got mine up and running a few months back and its worth it in the end! Curious about your ps pump, did a saginaw pump just bolt on to the stock bracket, and what pump did you get? Im worried the stock ford pump isnt going to cut it when I go to bigger tires, and im thinking about hydroboost as well. Anyway keep us posted on the progress!

Joe
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #15
jovanbiljon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm using the stock explorer pump. The research I've done says it'll handle bigger tires fine. The explorer is a pretty heavy vehicle so I'm sure it's more than adequate. I do have a Saginaw pump on stand by though. Really what made me stick with the explorer pump is the yj hoses require no modification to use the explorer pump. I'll fab up a mount in the future if I need to switch. I'll post a big update soon. I'm just finishing up some wiring.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.