Project Indecision: A Jeep addict's 06 Unlimited LJ - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Indecision: A Jeep addict's 06 Unlimited LJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #346
Bigbear92

Yeah elbe is where we go just up the highway from me and this weekend we are taking a camping trip to the naches they have a fun run going on so we will do some exploring over there

Bigbear92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #347
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear92 View Post

Yeah elbe is where we go just up the highway from me and this weekend we are taking a camping trip to the naches they have a fun run going on so we will do some exploring over there
Nice looking YJ. Who's putting on the fun run?
Unread 06-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #348
Bigbear92

Thanks, found out it was naxja putting on the event so i was the only wrangler running the trails but it was a real fun weekend put in a solid 10hrs of trails
Bigbear92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #349
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear92 View Post
Thanks, found out it was naxja putting on the event so i was the only wrangler running the trails but it was a real fun weekend put in a solid 10hrs of trails
Sounds like a blast!

Well, the other day I went to leave work and the Jeep wouldn't crank. Everything turned on, but no crank. I could spin the starter by shorting the solenoid, so that was ok.

After dragging it home on the trailer (and finding the winch on my trailer took a dump) A found out this happened.

Pretty delicate little piece for something that has to start the car. If you don't know what this is, it's the thing that turns the ignition switch.

Figured that out and decided to whip a skid plate together.

It took the better part of a day, but I think it will be plenty strong. I like that I can drop the skid without having to support the transmission too.

Also made a steering box skid while I was at it.

After all that work I decided I would go play in the woods. This is the only shot I got before the O ring on my power steering pump line blew again.

I felt the power steering cooler when I found out it blew again and it was so hot I could barely touch it. I don't think it had anything to do where I mounted it, since I wasn't even traveling at walking speed with the engine just above idle. The O ring wasn't torn, it look like it disintegrated - like it got too hot and fell apart.

So, I'm going to plumb and additional cooler in front of my radiator so it gets moving air from both the fan and vehicle speed. That should defiantly help out.
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #350
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bummer that the O ring issue keeps popping up , but man your rig looks good in the woods . The fab work on the skid also looks amazing .
Unread 07-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #351
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah dude.... for "whipping" up a skid, that thing looks damn nice. I want to see some better/more pics of this thing though!
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #352
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Bummer that the O ring issue keeps popping up , but man your rig looks good in the woods . The fab work on the skid also looks amazing .
I assumed there would be a few bugs to work out with this extensive of a build. I'm glad it's some pretty minor issues. Thanks for the compliment on the skid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Yeah dude.... for "whipping" up a skid, that thing looks damn nice. I want to see some better/more pics of this thing though!
Thanks, it only cost $65 in steel plus the better part of a day. I need to save money where I can since I'm saving for Moab. I'm between cameras right now but when I get my new camera I'll take some better shots for sure.

My P/S cooler came yesterday so I decided to tackle that job. I'm not sure who designed the rubber "nuts" that hold the condenser to the grill, but I have some words for him. What a Mickey Mouse setup that is.

Welded up some tabs to the brace and bolted it down.

It's hard to see, but it is hiding behind all that chrome.

I also changed the O-ring to a Viton one I found at O'rileys. It was a Doorman part for fuel line. Viton is good for higher heat, and it's a stiffer seal so I think it will be better. The O ring that keeps blowing does see 4.5 GPM at 1600 PSI so it does need to handle some stress.

Got to work and the cooler was barely warm. Going on a poker run this Saturday, so I'll see how it does.
Unread 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #353
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Viton is a good material choice for that oring. I'm interested to see if the durability changes. I'm assuming you were running Buna before?
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #354
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Viton is a good material choice for that oring. I'm interested to see if the durability changes. I'm assuming you were running Buna before?
I'm not sure what the one that came with the box is made out of. From what I read, the Viton is rated to 100 degrees more than the Buna O ring. I hope it will hold up, but it's not very scientific since I added much more cooling to the system.
Unread 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #355
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Put the forklift at work to work. It's hard to fully articulate an axle in a small garage with the tires on, plus when the weight of the vehicle is deflecting the joints, funny things can happen. It appears as though I either need more bump stop in the front, or rethink my fenders (high line).

Unread 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #356
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Took the Jeep out on a poker run this weekend. 0 problems this time and the O ring seemed to hold together. Even after lots of steering work in the tight trails the coolers weren't too hot to touch so the increased capacity must be doing some good.

Here's some pictures.

Unread 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #357
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's been pretty hot here so the girlfriend and I decided to head to the river and cool off.

On the way back we passed a sign for a dam that I've passed 100's of times and decided to check it out.

Nothing too spectacular, but the whole intention of building this Jeep is to explore and see new things.

Unread 07-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #358
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you running two steering coolers??

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #359
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. Although I may take the lower one off after Moab depending how hot the cooler gets to keep it more simple.
Unread 09-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #360
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For sale!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221552117576...84.m1555.l2649

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.