project: HONEYBADGER - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > project: HONEYBADGER

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #91
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post

Here's some basic advice as far as electrical:

Lay out the harness on the floor and spread it all out. Use your wiring diagrams and schematics to figure out what each and every single connector is and does. Label them. Do one harness at a time and have a second set of eyes with you, mislabeling something costs a lot of time and headaches later down the road. Ask me how I know.
Label the Jeep and Ford harnesses with different color tape. I used green painters tape for the Jeep, and orange painters tape for the Ford. This way when there's a thosand connectors flying around the engine bay, you can kind of visually get a snapshot of where everything is falling in place.
As you're going through the harnesses clip off things you aren't going to use and yank that from the main harness (air conditioning, smog pump, etc). Size matters here, the smaller and more flexible the large looms are without all the unnecessary wires, the easier it is to route them around the engine bay.
Start with partial harnesses that connect to larger bulkheads. For example; start with the fuel injectors, tps, egr, and coolant temp sensors, these are all found on the same smaller harness that connects into a larger one. Keep doing this for all the smaller independant systems until they are done and ready to plug into the main.
Don't even begin wiring until every bolt on the top end is in, gasketed, and torqued to spec. The last thing you want to do is have to pull your upper intake maniold after there's miles of wires in the way.
After the engine is done as far as you can go, get to work on the chassis harness. Get all the basic wiring done and all the connectors in and set before you touch a pair of wire strippers. When you're absolutely positive that there is nothing else you can do without hacking in, only then begin to make things like the alternator tie into the body harness. I'm still working on this myself, because I'm thinking I'll have to use an inline fuse and possibly resistors to feed the correct voltage to the Jeep body harness which in turn feeds power to and communicates with the Ford engine harness. This is the point where things get really sticky and your brain begins to sizzle like bacon in a pan. Math hurts.

Most important:: USE THE CORRECT TOOLS AND SUPPLIES. GET PROPER WIRE STRIPPERS, SOLDER, HEAT SHRINK WRAP, A MULTIMETER, AND USE DIALECTRIC GREASE ON EVERY CONNECTOR. Seriously, don't half-a** this. You'll pay for it later. I personally am making my own schematic on draftboard paper so that I have detailed records of what goes where and does what, complete with wire color, resistors, voltage, etc. This is so much better down the line when I want to service or change something and I'm not chasing through my previous work and a bung of factory manuals, scratching my head and wondering "what the hell was I thinking when I ran these wires like this?"

Good luck. Catch up so that we can help eachother
Thanks for the motivation! I made some progress on the wiring last night. I still need to label the jeep harness but the Mustang one is all figured out. Apparently I am missing the harness for the o2 sensors so I will need to find one still.

I'm hoping to catch up. It seems like whenever I find time to make progress I get hung up waiting for a small part here and there.

Another Question on the wiring... I think I saw you got some sort or power distribution block for fuses and what not. How come that is needed? It seems like everything is self contained for the motor harness and I will just need to splice in to my jeep wiring.

What are you doing for a Fuel pump? I already bought and external one and am trying to decide where to mount it. Either in the engine bay somewhere or as close to the tank as possible.

Unread 12-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #92
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Big shout out to JeepForum user 87YJMpi for helping me out! I drove an hour + one way to meet his dad last night who sold me some fenders super cheap. They're in ok shape, the outside is rusty and a little dented but the inners are perfect, and that's why I bought them. I need inners becauase my old ones were trashed beyond saving and were accidentally scrapped when they were left in the driveway overnight and the scrap truck guys took them..... a**holes haha. So anyway I'll be cutting these up in order to use the inners with the Poison Spyder fenders I'll be ordering with my quarterly sales bonus in the next week or so. Awww yisss.

Unread 12-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #93
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

I messaged you some pics. Does that help?
84MSRB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #94
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84MSRB View Post
I messaged you some pics. Does that help?
Never got any pics, only the last message that said you were going to try to find them
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #95
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

Let me try again...

I used cardboard to make a template, cut with a grinder, and welded it up. Cleaned it up- cut off as much excess as possible, rounded all corners. Has worked perfectly for 3 years.
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #96
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

Sorry-photobucket only lets me do two pics at a time. Does this help?
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #97
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Thanks 84MSRB! That helps a ton!
Question: how did you get the pedal assembly arranged? My YJ had a hydraulic clutch and since this is mechanical it needs a different throw, and a longer pivot point. I have the Bronco clutch pedal that the guy gave me, but I need all the linkage past the bellcrank, any idea where to source that kind of stuff?
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #98
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
Thanks for the motivation! I made some progress on the wiring last night. I still need to label the jeep harness but the Mustang one is all figured out. Apparently I am missing the harness for the o2 sensors so I will need to find one still.
Hey no problem! When looking for a O2 harness, try to find one for a manual or automatic trans (whichever you're using), they are different and I've heard it can make a difference.

Quote:
It seems like whenever I find time to make progress I get hung up waiting for a small part here and there.
Oh brother, ain't it the truth

Quote:
Another Question on the wiring... I think I saw you got some sort or power distribution block for fuses and what not. How come that is needed? It seems like everything is self contained for the motor harness and I will just need to splice in to my jeep wiring.
I haven't got to that yet, but basically it's so that I can have one tidy box with every hack and splice being through a fuse or relay so that I don't fry anything, or have this nightmare loom of random hacks and splices that I'll forget what are. This way everything can be organized, and it will be labeled, also checking continuity will be exponentially easier as well as chasing down shorts and errors. Check out marine grade boxes, more expensive, but now all your connections and fuses are waterproofed.

Quote:
What are you doing for a Fuel pump? I already bought and external one and am trying to decide where to mount it. Either in the engine bay somewhere or as close to the tank as possible.
Don't judge me..... I'm using the factory Jeep one. Before I run the motor lean and kill it along with all my hard work and money, I'm going to check GPH and rail pressure to make sure it'll do. I also have an AF gauge that I'll be running full time. I've read on a few pirate threads about this swap that the factory Jeep pump will keep up as long as the motor isn't wild. My advice though, mount the pump somewhere safe and cool, not near anything like exhaust or wiring that can arc or produce heat so that if a line pops off the pump it causes a big nasty flamethrower.

Hope some of that helps. I'm stuck at one impass right now. Aparently I need a section of Mustang body harness to feed a set of 16 pin connectors that move power from the alternator, through the body harness, and into the PCM, subsequently back to the engine. I can get arounf it with 32 wire hacks..... but I'm just not going to do that
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #99
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

Doesn't the " parts for old jeeps" section of the sponsors site have all that stuff? Past the bellcrank- you mean from there to the clutch? Or from there to clutch pedal?
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #100
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84MSRB View Post
Doesn't the " parts for old jeeps" section of the sponsors site have all that stuff? Past the bellcrank- you mean from there to the clutch? Or from there to clutch pedal?
I have three pieces; the clutch pedal from the Bronco, the bellcrank, and the clutch fork. I need all the linkages that connect said parts in order for proper operation and adjustability.
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #101
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

You can find all the stock linkage parts on here, but with a Bronco pedal, and what is basically a body lift, I'm not sure exactly which ones you will need.
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #102
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Last night I hit a great deal on Craigslist. 2 Jaz racing seats, with cushions, and covers, for $100! They even have provisions for 5 point harnesses. The only downside was that I had to sit through about 3 hours of traffic round trip, but that was totally worth it. Now I need to figure out how I'm going to rework the factory seat brackets and sliders. Eventually I'm going to get them mounted to the full cage, but that'll have to wait a bit. They're in awesome shape, only have one season of 1/4 mile passes in them. They came from a foxbody ironically, but when the dude went from a 347 to a 460 he needed to go from a 6 point cage to a 10 point, and these no longer fit.

Unread 12-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #103
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, and for anyone interested, I found all the clutch linkage components for my mechanical clutch setup online. Here's the link for curiousity sake http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/categor..._Bronco_Clutch
Unread 12-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #104
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

Sweet deal on the seats. Hope you can get the clutch stuff functional. I'm gonna be replacing my clutch and disc in a few days. Lots of hp's going through there.
Unread 12-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #105
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hit another Craigslist jackpot today. Found a guy parting out his 91 LX Foxbody. He had already called the scrapper and they are coming tomorrow, so in talking to him he said $100 gets me whatever I could carry out of there. Awesome! I landed up getting the ENTIRE vehicle wiring harness, the fuse block, all the relays, and a bunch of sensors, some very expensive ones like the barometric pressure sensor. I also got a Motorcraft distributor with an MSD cap and rotor, and an old Craftsman 6" bench grinder! I have no idea why he wanted it gone, but who cares right? It took me an a friend about 2 1/2 hours to pull everything, being very careful not to maul the wires or the connectors and sensors. Luckily, we're having a heat wave here in Chicago, it was almost 40* today! Good thing I found this when I did, too, because the next whole week the high temp is something like 10*, and every night it is supposed to dip well below zero. I'd rather not trounce through ruddy junkyards in subzero temperatures, only to be charged a huge premium on what I needed, if they had it at all.

There's a little overkill in all of this, but who cares. If anything I now have MILES of extra wires, all in different colors; and I have all the weather pack connectors and clips and fusus I could ever need when wiring things like auxiliary lights and whatnot. Much better doing things that way than a ton of shrinkwrap and a million little clip connectors. Anyway, not much to look at, but here's some pics anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.