project: HONEYBADGER - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > project: HONEYBADGER

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #46
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312

I'm all but 100% committed to FI. I live in Chicago, it gets really cold here and I basically daily drive the jeep. So the convenience of FI will outweigh the wiring logistical nightmare upon install. And I agree with you all the way about the SBC being overdone. I'm more of a Ford guy anyway, so this all just kind of pans out for me haha.
EDIT: and I'm not scared of carburetors, I have a '78 Eldorado with a q-jet and several motorcycles. So it's not that, it's those frigid Midwest winters haha.

Unread 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #47
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice progress man! I'll be following along to see how it turns out.

Here's the PS job I came up with for you. Not sure if you caught the post on the PS request thread, but here it is!

Parts were pulled from four different jeeps and a few other random images to pull it off. Here are the donars

Unread 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #48
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82
Nice progress man! I'll be following along to see how it turns out.

Here's the PS job I came up with for you. Not sure if you caught the post on the PS request thread, but here it is!

Parts were pulled from four different jeeps and a few other random images to pull it off. Here are the donars
SIIIIIIICK. Thank you so much!

EDIT: I'll try my absolute best to make your rendering a reality!
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #49
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I got a little work done last night. Not many pictures though. It's tough putting in time with the jeep while working overtime every week. And I'm sure the mortgage people wouldn't be the most understanding when I tell them I'm a little short because I'm restoring an old jeep, so money gets in the way too.
Anyway... here you can see how the Genright mount lifts work. They move the factory body mounts up an inch, keeping them out of harms way while boosting the body to frame clearance. Also, these things are BEEF. Way thicker than factory. Pic- http://i.imgur.com/iJb17uY.jpg

Got them tacked in last night, I'll hopefully get a full burn on them tonight.
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #50
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

QUESTION::::
I'm going to be ordering new shackles today front and rear, and I'm a bit at a loss as to what size to order. I was looking for about 1" of shackle lift overall, but there's several factors at play here.

1) I stayed SUA, and with the 8.8 I was under the impression I'd lose a bit of lift due to the larger tube diameter. How much?

2) The weight of the engine. The 302 is significantly heavier than the 2.5, but still lighter than the 4.0 (by about 50lbs). All my springs have ever known is the weight of the 2.5 though, so I'm assuming the front will sag a touch under the new motor.

3) I'm adding a tire carrier to the rear of the Jeep. Not only the weight of all the steel to make it, but also the weight of a spare 35" MT, hi-lift, jerry cans, etc. That's got to do something. I've also never had anything on the back before so those springs arent used to it.

So with all that in consideration, should I just order the same 1" booms front and rear and hope that the added engine weight causes the same ammount of lift loss in front as the 8.8 + accessories cause in the rear? I don't want to end up with a rig that is dramaticaly pointed up or down one way or the other. Thoughts????
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #51
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bump. Anyone have anything to contibute to my shackle purchase decision? I haven't pulled the trigger yet and I'd like a little reasurance.
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #52
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could always wait until everything else is done and then make a minor adjustment with shacle lengths. I have found no matter which way you guess it will be wrong. LOL

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #53
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog312 View Post
QUESTION::::

So with all that in consideration, should I just order the same 1" booms front and rear and hope that the added engine weight causes the same ammount of lift loss in front as the 8.8 + accessories cause in the rear? I don't want to end up with a rig that is dramaticaly pointed up or down one way or the other. Thoughts????
I used to have a forward rake on my Jeep. When I installed the 8.8 it actually leveled it out. Just my experience
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #54
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
You could always wait until everything else is done and then make a minor adjustment with shacle lengths. I have found no matter which way you guess it will be wrong. LOL
Truer words never spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I used to have a forward rake on my Jeep. When I installed the 8.8 it actually leveled it out. Just my experience
Yeah, my fear is that the weight of the new engine will pull the front end down a little bit. Not that the springs can't handle it - the 5.0 is 40lbs lighter than the 4.0 - but my springs have never known anything but the wimpy 2.5
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #55
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so nothing really to update on the build. I've basically just been working a lot and slowly gathering all necessary parts. HOWEVER, one big piece of news; with my new 240 welder - as nice as she is - I have the unfortunate problem of not having a 240 line in the house..... I've been using a big gas generator to power it, but even then it keeps blowing the breaker after about a 4" continious bead. Sucks. Well, as a surprise early birthday present we are getting a brand new direct 240 line with new mains installed!!!! The guy is coming out on tuesday to take preliminary measurments so it should be in in a week or two. I'm so excited! FINALLY!!
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #56
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATES! UPDATES! COME GET YOUR HOT FRESH UPDATES ONE AND ALL! ........

It's been a while everyone. Rest assured I have been doing SOMETHING.

Got my baby in blue home. Tore the decks off and am currently about to get a new timing chain in there. Heads off to the machinist for a 3 way job and other goodies.

Snagged a FREAKIN STEAL on craigslist for a '76 NP435 4 speed trans. 6.69:1 first gear HOO-RAH. Came mated to the Ford version of the EB Dana 20 transfer case (1968). PERFECT! It's the only D20 that had driver side drop. Full planetary system, no chains to stretch or break. Bingooooo. Contemplating tearing it down and installing a deeper gearset. Not sure yet. Going to start engineering my own twinstick setup, as this is one of the early T style shifters, they can be picky when it comes to getting in, and staying in, your desired gear. $150-$300 for a twin stick kit seems outrageous considering what you're really getting. So, again, I'm going to try to fab it up.

The interals all look good (or at least good enough for me), and I saw videos of the Bronco driving a around without grinding just a few days before I bought it all.

There's several awesome things all going on here:
- It's all Ford junk, so it should all work well together.
- The drivetrain is now significantly shorter than I once thought I could make it.
- HELL YEAH TWIN STICKS.
- the D20 has a center output, so that will line up perfectly with the 8.8 center housing, not causing the XY axis binding that some get going 231 to 8.8
- DUAL PTO OUTPUTS. one on the trans, one on the transfer case. seriously, how awesome is that!
- I got the trans and case for less than $300. I'd call that a win. Only had to drive 2 states over (chicago to michigan is only like 2.5 hours one way)

Some more odds and ends are floating around. I'll take inventory soon and post what is going on. If anyone has any questions or comments, let 'em rip!
Unread 08-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #57
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Update: battling the flu, still, got a little work done.

Rear welding is FINALLY all done. Just have to drill out and sink the cross tubes that hold the bushings. A buddy of mine is milling them out of solid stock for me at his shop.

Locating and measuring the centers of the cross sleeves for the bushings was painful and involved a few levels, squares, a plumbob, and lots of swearing. All in all my measurments say I got all 4 dead on bullseye.

On another note, got my HO intake back fully ported and polished, added the trickflow upper/lower spacer for taller valvecover clearance, and painted it all up. Goting with the traditional old school black and gold ford engine scheme.
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #58
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! Good score on the 435/20 combo. Normally when you see an NP435 it has a 205 behind it (not that a 205 is bad), but you've got a much shorter combo than the normal setup.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #59
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ
Nice! Good score on the 435/20 combo. Normally when you see an NP435 it has a 205 behind it (not that a 205 is bad), but you've got a much shorter combo than the normal setup.
Yup! It's nice and compact, add to that the fact that the 302 is significantly shorter than the 4.0 and I'll have nice long driveshafts. "Long" being a relative term, of course
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #60
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got the 8.8 all mounted up this weekend. Hopefully get the body back on the frame after work this week sometime so that I can place the powertrain. I'll keep you updated.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.