project: HONEYBADGER - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > project: HONEYBADGER

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish
check with your local DMV before putting a lot of effort in to what may be an illegal engine swap...don't know how it is where you are, but here you have to use an engine the same year or newer than the vehicle receiving the engine, and you have to keep all of the pollution control equipment functional from the engine (so you couldn't swap from FI to a carb here)
Illinois doesn't give one f*ck if it's a pre-OBDII vehicle. Thank god. I've had some "race cars" that were OBDII and it was a total pain making them emissions compliant. Basically anything 1995 or older they don't test. It's fantastic. Thanks for the heads up though, I know it can be a real problem for people in other states.

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quick update. Got the whole front clip off yesterday. Decided to go HAM and just pull the tub, so that's on today's agenda. That'll make yanking the existing powertrain infinitely easier.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

More and more and more wires are getting disconnected and tagged. Gutted almost all the interior. Body mount bolts are soaking in penetrant. I have the day off on Thursday so hopefully I get something significant done then. Spent the night in the garage until after 1am even though I have to be up at 5:45 for work! Time flies when you're having fun I suppose!
n2iwqlj.jpg  
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey you are /u/good_morning_magpie from reddit right? Im the dude stealing your grill paintjob.
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsandhose
Hey you are /u/good_morning_magpie from reddit right? Im the dude stealing your grill paintjob.
Was just recognizing some of these pics from reddit as well. Nice build!
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsandhose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridesjeeps View Post
Was just recognizing some of these pics from reddit as well. Nice build!
HOLY SHNIKIES! REDDITORS ON JF!

although I don't know why I'm surprised, it's not like we aren't allowed anywhere besides /r/jeep. Right on though, I guess you two will get double the updates then. Cheers.

Go ahead and go dor the grille paint, heck, if you need any advice or tips or even a hand (depending on where you are), I'm always willing to help out.
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man. I got everything done on it except the stars doing that tomorrow. Kinda doing it in between school and work whenever I can and watching paint dry. I'm in northern Utah so no I don't think you can help but thanks! I'm actually just painting chrome overlay and I'm kicking myself for not sanding it but it should turn out okay.
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a quick rundown of the last few days:

Got the 8.8 set and gutted. Waiting on my MORE mounts to weld on, first I have to grind it all down and weld the tubes, then prime and paint.

The interior mostly gutted.

Taking a quick break, before breaking my back.

It was just me and one other dude pulling the tub by ourselves. It involved a few floor jacks, a high lift or two, lots of wood, some steel sawhorses, and a complete disregard of personal preservation. If anyone from OSHA saw any of this, they'd have shat bricks. Well hey, after it all I can still count to 20 on all my fingers and toes, so no harm done.

In accordance with Murphy's Law, as soon as we finished dropping a nut lifting the tub off, a family friend showed up with his big hoist. Oh well, that's just the way things go sometimes.

Ready to rock and roll.

Yanking the old tired heart.

At some point you have to just walk away and let sleeping dogs lie.

From here, waiting on the 8.8 mount kit from MORE. Still have to figure out wtf I'm going to do for motor mounts, AA and Novak are readily avaliable, but both are constantly flamed for quality and strength. I'm contemplating building my own, the garage has a really really nice new MIG and I have an old stick welder in the shed, but I really have no idea on even where to start with that kind of build, maybe I'll just wing it, that seems to be how this is all going anyway haha. After work today I'm going to head over to Harbor Freight and grab an el-cheapo sandblaster to clean the frame and really see where I need to do some welding patches. I'm really on the fence about doing a shackle reversal kit at the moment too, there won't ever be an easier time to do it, but I've heard mixed reviews. I have to blast, weld, prime, and paint the 8.8 as well, just waiting on the perch kit. Oh, and two shock towers are shot, so I've got to deal with that too, lame. I'll keep JF updated as best I can through all this, It'll inevitably begin to slow down as I have to wait for parts to come in and things like that, but progress marches on.
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like progress is moving along steadily.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #25
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Question: is there any reason NOT to get the torch out and blast the 8.8 factory perches off? The grinder is taking a toll on my hands and I've got more than a few "battle scars" from removing the first 2 yesterday afternoon. I was thinking the heat may or may not warp the tubes, but I'm not sure. Thoughts on the hot wrench fellas?
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As long as it isn't in the way of new perches I don't see why it would interfere with anything. The axle tube should hold up to the heat fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a quick pic from over the weekend. Got the frame mostly stripped, working on the 8.8.

Unread 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #28
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

They say wiating is the hardest part....... on parts in the mail that is. Basically I ripped out and sold the d35 on craigslist, power washed the frame, and cleaned the ever living sh*t out of the garage. It was becoming legit dangerous with every fluid from the jeep barfed all over it. So some purple power, a power washer, and a big bag of oil-dri were in order. I've got my DS flange adapter, still waiting on perches. QUESTION: with the larger axle diameter and retaining SUA orientation, I'm guessing that the rear of the Jeep will actually LOWER just a tad. Anyone have any idea how much exactly? I'd like to offset that loss of lift via boomerang shackles.

Moving the frame around with no rear axle wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. You just have to use your noodle sometimes to figure things out!

Then after everything was clean and put back tidy and proper, I decided to relax a little bit in something I threw together which I have dubbed "the man hammock". Life is good.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #29
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Question: I need new spring eye bushings, BUT I need the ones that go through the frame. I'm having a hard time finding those specifically. All I'm seeing are the shackle bushing kits, which from the looks of it are just for the part where the spring goes through the shackle, not where the shackle bolts to the frame. The rear frame sections on my rig are all rotten and I'll be making some of my own replacements, but i need to know what size bushings those are before I tear it all apart, because I still need the chassis to be mobile around the garage and can't have it all chopped up and stationary. Besides, I'd like to just have it all ready and knock it out in one night. Thanks guys. Links would be appreciated as always.
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had hard time finding them as well. I finally went to the local jeep dealer and picked some up. I knew the parts manager so I got em for 6 bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.