project: HONEYBADGER - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > project: HONEYBADGER

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #181
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxxgijoexxxa View Post
I used the power distribution box from my donor car, I was looking the other day and theres only about 20% of the fuses and relays being used.
Exactly why I'm going this route. Additionally, they're weatherproof, whatever that means, I'm hoping they help prolong the life of my electrical systems.

Quote:
Gauges look awesome too!
Thanks! I spent waaaay too long trying to decide which style of gauge I wanted, but finally settled on these because they're easy to read at a quick glance. I was going to go with the fancy dark series, maybe even the carbon fiber line, and I absolutely considered going full digital display; but a friend brought up a very valid point - when you're offroading and your concentration is focused on the driving and obstacles, you just want to be able to glance at the gauges and if the big red pointer is in the "safe zone" then everything's fine. It's easier to see if one is flatlining or pegged out max than it is to see a number, interpret it, assess weather it's value is within operating parameters. Makes sense to me!

Unread 03-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #182
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I love it when I come back from lunch and brown santa has left me more gifts

All the khaki wearing camry driving latte sipping coworkers I have think I'm insane
Unread 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #183
Carl12

Nice job man. I admire your devotion to this project. This inspires me to do more with my supercar.
Carl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #184
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Story time.

For those of you who don't know, last fall I relinquished my beloved 1978 Cadillac Eldorado. She was amazing, and had only 58,000 miles. I daily drove that b*tch for the entire summer, even at a crippling 5 mpg (that was about $200-$250 PER WEEK for me), and picked up a 2012 Chevy Sonic. Little 1.4 litre turbo, with a 6 speed manual, in a hatchback. I got the sucker pretty cheap being a 2012 in late 2013, and my job pays the interest on my loan since the majority of my driving is meeting with clients. And I drive a lot, A LOT, since Last August I already have 11,000 miles on her.
Anyway, this car has been amazing. If I'm on the highway I can sneak out 47mpg with the AC off, outstanding. And it's versitile. The second week I had it, I drove 2.5 hours each way to Michigan to pick up my transmission and transfer case. Hauled it like a boss while still sporting 40-something mpg.

The Sonic

Hauling

I tell you that to tell you this. Last night after work I took a cruise up to Milwaukee, WI for a tire. Craigslist blessed me once again with a guy selling a 37x12.5x15 for $100. It was his spare and the guy that bought the other 4 didn't want it. In great shape, still has the feelers on it. Anyway, loaded up the Sonic, which again took it like a champ. Came home and loaded on top of that my spare 33 that I have now. Then this morning before work took it all over to my friend's shop to have him mount it.

The reasons I snagged this one tire.

1) An experimental test fit to see if a 37 will clear, and how much trimming I have to do, or if I'm better off with a set of 36" tires.
2) If it does fit, now I have a spare to hang on the back when I go order a brand new full set of 37s!

Matt's tire machine was none too thrilled this morning, nor was his spine

So, not much happened, I just felt like sharing
Unfortunately the market for 37x12.5x15 is very small. It's limited to TSL and one or two other makes. I understand the demad isn't really there because of the boom in 17" wheels, and because stopping a set of 37's with small brakes on 15" wheels isn't, um.... ideal, but I am in the market, just in case anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks for reading!
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #185
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did a quick test fit last night, and it looks like the 37s will fit very well, especially after I open up the wheel wells in back for TJ flares. Green light to order 4 more!

Unread 04-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #186
axxxgijoexxxa
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey warthog have you gotten your oil pressure gauge working yet? I've got my motor so I can start it now, but as soon as I turn the key on (before starting) the gauge pegs to the top. Not sure if ford sending unit is not compatible, or maybe just bad. Just wondered if you've crossed that bridge yet? Keep up the great work!

Joe
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #187
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey warthog have you gotten your oil pressure gauge working yet? I've got my motor so I can start it now, but as soon as I turn the key on (before starting) the gauge pegs to the top. Not sure if ford sending unit is not compatible, or maybe just bad. Just wondered if you've crossed that bridge yet? Keep up the great work!

Joe

All my new Autometer gauges came with their own brand new sending units, so I can't help you on that one unfortunately. The good news is that sending units aren't too terribly expensive, so replacing them isn't financially crippling. The oil pressure sending unit is a SOB to get to in mine though because I used an oversized expanded capacity oil filter, so I went back to Autometer and got their sending unit extension hose which is just braided high pressure line that brings the unit off the block a few inches. Let me know how that works out for you.
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #188
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

IT'S ALIIIIVVEEEEEE

clip one, from the front
http://youtu.be/Ny-7Qb4kgU8

clip two, from the rear
http://youtu.be/sBO-HS1LvAQ

After a few tries we got the timing and idle dialed in correctly and she was holding idle well. Oh man is that cam nasty, and she's super loud on open headers. But I'm sooooooooooooo incredibly relieved and happy right now. We had to stop because it was pissing coolant from the thermostat gasket, which under inspection was torn (probably during install). I just have to grab another one of those, no biggie. Now the concentration moves to wiring everything cleanly with looms and the gauges into the dash, and plumbing the brake and clutch lines so I can drive it. I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight, I'm too excited!
Unread 04-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #189
axxxgijoexxxa
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thats awesome to hear its running! Pretty great feeling to hear the roar I'll bet! Thanks for the info, I forgot you bought new gauges, remembered after I posted. Ya that sending unit looks to be a real pain!

Joe
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #190
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Question for you guys, where do you think would be the best place to hide the Ford computer?
It isn't built in a plastic case like the Jeep one. I've had my factory computer submurged, caked in sloppy mud, powerwashed, and it took it all without flinching. The Ford one is rather exposed and looks like it would sh*t its pants at the thought of that kind of abuse haha. It is going to need to breathe so I can't just seal it up in an ammo box and forget about it, so I'm thinking make some sort of splash guard and mount it behind the glovebox up as high as I can by the HVAC tubes. My only concern there is heat buildup from the HVAC and running heat in the car.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

FWIW, when I offroad I have been sunk reeeeeal deep in mud, and river crossings up to the headlights are not uncommon, so location absolutely is important.
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #191
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've been mulling over the same thing for mine. I haven't come up with anything that I like better than what you've described.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #192
axxxgijoexxxa
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just put mine in the stock location behind the glove box. Mine doesnt see water that high (yet anyway). Cant really think of a higher safer place. Your idea sounds good to me.
Unread 04-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #193
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got a lot of wiring done last night. One of my very close friends is a ful time mechanic and idiot savant at electrical and wiring. Seriously, I think he's borderline illiterate and struggles with 'one fish two fis red fish blue fish' but looks at a schematic and goes full rainman on it
Got the oil pressure, coolant temp, voltage, and tachometer gauges all wired up and temporarily held in place. Then we got the ignition panel wired up. The first switch powers the whole chassis and pcm, the second one powers the fuel pump, and the third powers electric fans. The big button is a momentary switch on the starter. So the nice thing is now this thing is 'turn key' aka push to start!
Also we figured out the coolant leak, turned out to be a bogus gasket, so that is done too. The plan is to attack again sunday, get it running and idling, up to operating temp, hit it with the timing light and get her dialed in, then run the 2k rpm break in for the new cam and valvetrain, then drain all fluids and re-fill.

It feels so unbelievably good to hear her run on demand after a full year and a brutal winter.

Unread 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #194
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good job man. Glad to see progress. You've been busting your *** on this thing for quite a while now.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #195
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
Good job man. Glad to see progress. You've been busting your *** on this thing for quite a while now.

Thanks man. Yeah, it was a year at the beginning of April. It's just killing me that the temps are beginning to rise and I can't pimp the Jeep around with no top and doors. Yeah, I've got a motorcycle but it's just not the same. I miss the wave

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.