project: HONEYBADGER - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > project: HONEYBADGER

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #136
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

keep at it bud you will get there. I have been feeling like you have with my motor swap, but last night I was able to make great progress and drive it for the first time without it stalling on me. Good Luck!!

Unread 02-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #137
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I love the Flag gril Awsome
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #138
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I love the Flag gril Awsome
Thanks man! It was a lot of work and time because I was so anal about getting the proportions and such just perfect. It's actually held up pretty well to 3 hard Chicago winters and lots of offroad trips. Alas, I have decided to retire it with this build. It was fun and awesome, but I feel like this Jeep has taken on a new identity thoughout this project, and should be represented as such; something new, something completely of a different nature. Don't worry, it'll hang proudly as a piece of garage art.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #139
strokendiesel
2008 WK 

Trolling earlier today and I noticed "Honeybadger"... thought of the videos, laughed and made the mistake of convincing myself that I'd be able to just glance over the build and look at the pics... I love end to myself sir, and I blame/ thank you! Awesome build and ingenuity! Sorry about the gal, most relevant though, I'll never forget the first battle I had with setting timing on an engine I did hahaha. I can't wait to check back tomorrow! I hope tonight faired well for you!
strokendiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #140
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yesterday afternoon I had to roll the Jeep out of the garage on my lunch break. See, this whole thing is being done at a friend's garage since I don't have the space. He gave me 12 months storage in trade for my old motorcycle. No big deal since that thing needed lots of work and I have another one. I get bored with bikes easily, I usually get a new one every year then sell it at the end of the season or trade it. I've had 7 in 6 years. Seeing as how storage units charge about $250 per month around here (and that's just access, I couldn't work on anything there) I really got my moneys worth on the deal, becuase that bike was worth significantly less than $3000
I tell you that because yesterday he needed to get his H3 into the garage because his blower motor crapped out and it is absurdly cold this winter. So, on my lunch break I drove over there and pushed the Jeep out into the driveway, and it struck me just how big this thing has become. It's on 33's now, and the plan is for 37's... I'm 6'2" and the top of the hard door is a good few inches over my head.... AWESOME
I hope I don't upset any LCOG guys

We pushed it back in the garage later in the day after work and got down to business. Got the steering box remounted, thankfully with more than enough room now for the steering shaft to clear from the firewall to the box. Those March brackets made all the difference, moving the steering pump in about 5" and up 3". They were expensive (oh god, so expensive) but in exchange for that hard earned money I now have a more compact, simple, functional, and aesthetically pleasing setup; and I'm going to keep telling myself all of that as I fear my bank statement

Spent the majority of the night re-wiring the pig, sifting through the harness and clipping all the connectors and running looms where they needed to be, as well as continuing the hybridization process between the two harnesses and computers.

Here's some pictures, but I didn't think to snap these until we were packing up at around 2:00am, and I had to be at my office this mornig at 7:30.... this damn car is going to kill me

Oh.... one more thing to add.....

WE GOT THAT B*TCH TO FIRE!!!

We reset the timing again, but used a trick I got from an old timer Ford guy, who said with a cam like this it's going to want a lot of timing thrown at it. I did my research and confirmed, then took his advice and dropped the distributor at 14* BTDC, hit it with some ether and VROOOOM

It only kicked over for a second or two but I swear this must be tantamount to the feeling a man has when he hears his newborn son cry for the first time in a delivery room

So now the next step is a combination of fooling both PCMs and runnning actual fuel line.
Here's my thoughts, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and please feel free to make suggestions.

The Jeep PCM will control all body functions such as headlights, turn signals, HVAC, etc. The Jeep column wiring needs to be tapped for on/hot/run/temp and signal those things to the Ford PCM. Jeep needs to send the fuel pump prime/run signals, but also needs to fool the Ford into thinking that it is the one telling the pump to run, while simultaneously giving the Ford PCM an 'everything is running' signal, including adequate fuel pressure signal and pump running signal. The Jeep PCM needs to have hot and momentary to the starter, but the Ford needs to know that's happening as well. I need to get the emissions stuff and air conditioning stuff either clipped out of the harness or simmed up so that it runs correctly, and I need to get at least the oil pressure and temperature gauges functional for initial run and break in so that I can keep my eye on those systems and avoid damage.

Quick question, where is/is there an inertia switch on a YJ? I've had this thing full on Bo and Luke airborn several times and spanked some stumps and rocks pretty hard in my day, and I've never tripped it, so my thought is that either it is not working, or I just don't have one. I don't recall seeing one while gutting the rig a few months ago, and honestly if there is one I'm removing it. I'm wiring a direct fuel pump power cutoff switch into the dash for emergency situations.

Thanks again for reading along with my antics everyone, until next time!
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #141
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good to hear man! I may be way off base here but do you even need your Jeep PCM anymore? Mine could be a lot different since it was carbed and 6 years older but my PCM is gone (yes it had one). HVAC should all be analog, the headlight harness is separate and should work as long as it has power. On the gauges you could go a few different ways, aftermarket to receive the Ford sensors or incorporate your Jeep sensors into the Ford engine. On the fuel pump you should just be able to run that from the Ford PCM.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #142
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Good to hear man! I may be way off base here but do you even need your Jeep PCM anymore? Mine could be a lot different since it was carbed and 6 years older but my PCM is gone (yes it had one). HVAC should all be analog, the headlight harness is separate and should work as long as it has power. On the gauges you could go a few different ways, aftermarket to receive the Ford sensors or incorporate your Jeep sensors into the Ford engine. On the fuel pump you should just be able to run that from the Ford PCM.
X2 I agree I did the same with my 5.2 swap your jeep PCM only runs the motor/trans.
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #143
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check out this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5...t-way-1799609/

August YJOTM

Unread 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #144
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So you guys are saying ditch the Jeep PCM entirely? The headlights, turn signals, body functions will operate stand alone without computer guidance? How about the hot and temp signals from the column wires to the starter and fuel pump?

Aside from those questions, a few little things got done saturday afternoon. Reconnected all the steering and got the crossbrace on the box as well. Now when we have to move her around it'll be significantly easier than pushing and pulling on the tires to get it to turn, especially by myself. On that note I pushed it out a little bit (I was parked in) and swept up all the kitty litter, cigarette butts, and bottlecaps that were accumulating. Slapped the grille and fenders back on to get a better idea of where and how to anchor all the wiring looms and tanks for coolant/windshield wiper fluid.

Funny thing is that my buddy's girlfriend had her Infinity G37 parked up pretty close to the garage, and it was kind of funny to see the size difference. And this is on 33's, I can't wait for my 37's!

My buddies refuse to let the whole boat motor debacle go, someone left me a little momento on the hood.

That's it for now. The next tasks at hand are wiring, fuel delivery and return, brake lines, and clutch..... I'm really in fear of having to deal with the clutch. At this point I'm thinking maybe using a Mustang style cable system? I don't think I have the room for the push linkage and all the pivot points that the NP435 wants... Or I go with a 'pull' style hydraulic then mount it off the frame behind the clutch fork.... IDK. Help or advice here would be greatly appreciated.

THanks as always for keeping up! Until next time!
Unread 02-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #145
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

At first I hated your gold intake, but the bling is growing on me now

Yes everything will be fine without the Jeep PCM. I don't know exactly how your Ford PCM works but I would guess that it needs a fuel pump signal, which is in the bulkead wiring on the firewall by the brake booster. For the steering column/power stuff just find your constant power and your switched ignition source. There is also a "crank" wire that you will run to the new starter.

August YJOTM

Unread 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #146
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://home.comcast.net/~phantomdrag...yjbulkhead.jpg

This doesn't cover your 94 but it gives you an idea.

August YJOTM

Unread 02-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #147
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
At first I hated your gold intake, but the bling is growing on me now
Yup! I wanted to do a black and gold engine bay, lots of people dont know but those are some vintage FoMoCo colors!

Quote:
Yes everything will be fine without the Jeep PCM. I don't know exactly how your Ford PCM works but I would guess that it needs a fuel pump signal, which is in the bulkead wiring on the firewall by the brake booster. For the steering column/power stuff just find your constant power and your switched ignition source. There is also a "crank" wire that you will run to the new starter.
Quote:
http://home.comcast.net/~phantomdrag...yjbulkhead.jpg

This doesn't cover your 94 but it gives you an idea.
Awesome! Thanks!
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #148
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here’s a quick rundown of the last few days, not a whole lot done but I’ve set in motion (aka spent money) on a few things.

I bought a new fuel pump and sock, got those installed last night along with new gaskets and hoses off the tank. Bad news is, the new crossmember I welded in (the one where the tank skid mounts) is a bit too big and needs to be trimmed up before I can stuff the tank back up where it’s supposed to be.

My front shocks came in the mail. Skyjacker brand with internal bump stops. These are just the fronts, I haven’t decided what I’m doing in the rear yet, I need to mount my exhaust, brake and fuel lines, and trac/ladder bar system, then see where I’ve got room to mount the shocks.

Got a set of Sh*ttybilt rear tube corners. I got them super cheap (less than $100) and brand new, but they’re for a TJ. I kind of see that as a win though, being they should have a little extra clearance this way. Clamped them on just to see what they look like, I’m going to be running armor so they’ll wait patiently in the shed until they’re called upon.

I resolved my clutch situation (more on this below), which allows me to run my long tube headers. Boy am I glad too, with that fat cam and Ford’s tendency to skimp on exhaust port size, I really needed these to get any usable power. The manifolds would have choked the .510” exhaust lift pretty hard.

The driver side went in flawlessly.

The passenger side…. Well, let’s just say I have to get a little ‘creative’.
Primary tube #3 is massively in the way, not allowing placement of the header at all because of the motor mount, and even if I could sneak it in, it would hit the starter.

So, tomorrow I’m picking up a bunch of 1.5” tube (that’s the primary size) from a local exhaust shop, which they’re putting a couple of U-bends in so that I can chop them up and reroute that pesky little bugger. Can’t say it’ll work for sure, but they said even if I f*ck it up real bad, bring in the header and they’ll see if they can salvage it. Only reason I’m doing it this way is that they are charging me $30 for a bunch of pipes and bends, versus $200 for a “custom header job”. May as well give it the old college try, right?
Here’s a quick and dirty illustration of what the plan is.

My EB Dana 20 was missing a good portion of the stock linkage, so instead of paying top dollar for antiquated and limited shifter that likes to slip out of gear, I upgraded
JBFab Twin Stick

Ah yes, the clutch linkage; that little nagging worry that’s been costing me sleep the last few weeks. Here’s the plan of attack: Take NP435 mechanical clutch fork, attach to hydraulic ‘pull’ style slave cylinder, run to master cylinder with big bore because of force required, win. Basically keeping a mechanical clutch, but actuating it with hydraulic advantage instead of solid linkage. Keep stock Jeep pedal assembly, use braided high pressure line so that I can route it as necessary, mount it with a bracket off the framerail, and protect it with the skidplate. I ordered the Wilwood ¾” bore clutch master, and corresponding ‘pull’ style slave (also Willwood) from Summit yesterday, should be here early next week. Just have to get some rod ends and thread rod which I’ll get in grade 8 form from my local FastenAll store. Here is the article I dug up online and put all my faith into working on my Jeep. I hope whoever wrote this isn’t dead because of a clutch linkage failure and subsequent vehicle wreck

Hydraulic throw conversion - NP435

That's it for now, I hope to get a few hours work in tonight so if anything I'll update tomorrow or Sunday. Until next time!
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #149
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Last night in the garage was good but not as productive as it could have been. I've been feeling sick lately, probably because of the temperature swings this last week or so, from 40* back to 3* at night a few times got me a nice head cold to deal with.

Regardless, I was able to finish up the header on the passenger side. I landed up swinging the #3 primary down low and around the starter then back up and into the collector. It was the easiest way after much contemplation. Still though, what a huuuuge PITA. I love welding and often practice just to practice, I fancy myself decently good, but this was a total stroke. Also, the tight clearances made it an issue to get the MIG tip into some of the areas so I had to push pools where I needed them, time will tell if/how much it leaks. I need a TIG......

After that, I hung up the fuel hard line on the frame from firewall to tank. Just a rough line for now, some bends need to be tweaked and smoothed out, and I need to get the actual hangers for the frame to mount it, but that'll wait until I get the brake lines hung so I can run all the hard line together. Hung the tank back up with some ratchet straps for now, need to find or make a new skid.

Question: anyone have a picture of how the UPPER gas tank straps mount to the body/frame? I replaced my crossmembers and don't have any holes or bolts to go off for an idea how to mount them.

Also, my loving and idiotic friend caught his jacket on the dipstick and SNAPPED IT OFF AT THE BLOCK. SO NOW I HAVE TO DROP THE OIL PAN AGAIN TO PUSH OUT THE REMAINING BROKEN PIECE OF DIPSTICK TUBE. AWESOME. THIS IS JUST WHAT I WANTED. WHY WOULDN'T THIS HAPPEN?
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #150
axxxgijoexxxa
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Straps hold tank down onto skid. The skid then bolts to the cross members.

If you need any other photos let us know.

Joe
image-1493055673.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.